Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Cookies?

Got Cookies?

someone said not many people on pettalk know about cookies, but I think most people that use computers, do know about them... do you?

There's always a Cookie on my computer, she's black and white, about 9 pounds, very talkative....

(Yes I do know about Cookies)
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

Yup, I know about them.

Please sign my guestbook if you have the time

IKNOW about them. I know what they are for, but don't ask me any questions. I don't know THAT much.

Yeah, I know about them..My dad explained it to me a while ago when I needed to know something for a site.

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

I prefer the real kind of cookies myself! Oreo's with chocolate filling and a big glass of milk are my favorites!!!

NO I DON'T!!!!
    You mean I have cookies right here in my putter? How do I get a handful out?

LOL!!!! I know I have "cookies" and I know I have to rid myself of them periodically or I have a slow, uncooperative computer!!! Now if they were chocolate chip with nuts, I might reconsider!!!

I looooooove chocolate chip cookies with a big glass of milk

Seriously, I do know about the cookies for the puter, but all I know is that when I go to a message board or something else that I have logged into, it means I won't have to log in again.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Originally posted by jenluckenbach
    I KNOW about them. I know what they are for, but don't ask me any questions. I don't know THAT much.
    I'm in this category too - I've tried to configure my Norton Internet Security, Internet Explorer, etc. to handle cookies the best way, but I don't quite "get" the concept. Now, if I got a 9 lb, black and white, very talkative cookie with every site I visited...........I wouldn't block THOSE cookies!

Mmmmmm.....home made chocolate chip cookies (I make mine with coconut and ground up walnuts)........I need to bake!!!!!
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

Originally posted by All Creatures Great And Small
    Mmmmmm.....home made chocolate chip cookies (I make mine with coconut and ground up walnuts)........I need to bake!!!!!
    OK, when can I come over??? They sound delicious!!!!

a cookie is a thing a website puts on your hard drive so when you return to that site you don't have to re login/choose your settings again/etc
    Owned by a demanding cat. Lol

Here's a litttle explanation on cookies:

Cookies are pieces of information generated by a Web server and stored in the user's computer, ready for future access. Cookies are embedded in the HTML information flowing back and forth between the user's computer and the servers. Cookies were implemented to allow user-side customization of Web information. For example, cookies are used to personalize Web search engines, to allow users to participate in WWW-wide contests (but only once!), and to store shopping lists of items a user has selected while browsing through a virtual shopping mall.

Essentially, cookies make use of user-specific information transmitted by the Web server onto the user's computer so that the information might be available for later access by itself or other servers. In most cases, not only does the storage of personal information into a cookie go unnoticed, so does access to it. Web servers automatically gain access to relevant cookies whenever the user establishes a connection to them, usually in the form of Web requests.

Cookies are based on a two-stage process. First the cookie is stored in the user's computer without their consent or knowledge. For example, with customizable Web search engines like My Yahoo!, a user selects categories of interest from the Web page. The Web server then creates a specific cookie, which is essentially a tagged string of text containing the user's preferences, and it transmits this cookie to the user's computer. The user's Web browser, if cookie-savvy, receives the cookie and stores it in a special file called a cookie list. This happens without any notification or user consent. As a result, personal information (in this case the user's category preferences) is formatted by the Web server, transmitted, and saved by the user's computer.

During the second stage, the cookie is clandestinely and automatically transferred from the user's machine to a Web server. Whenever a user directs her Web browser to display a certain Web page from the server, the browser will, without the user's knowledge, transmit the cookie containing personal information to the Web server.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Randi, thanks for that complete and comprehensive explanation of cookies! I try to clean mine out quite often.

Ya know, I still think I like the kind with chocolate chips and walnuts the best though!

I don't remove my cookies cause then my auto logins don't work and I've forgetten the usernames/passwords
    ehehe
    Owned by a demanding cat. Lol