Thread: How about Siamese ???

How about Siamese ???

Does any one Know if it is possible to tell if a cat is a pure bread or not. I got my boys at a pet store and they look just like Flame Point Siamese, but I really don't know if they are mixed or anything about them. They do seem to have fur that is a bit different and one is long and sleek while the other has a definite belly shape and bigger ears.
    dixiecup

Unless you got them from a breeder, than no. If you think they are siamese then they definately may have some siamese in them. But since you have no clue of the parents, then the kitties may also be mixed with something else.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

WIthout "papers" no one can be sure. But what we can be sure of is that they are loved, right? I would just consider them Siamese mixes, and call it good. If we were gazillionaires, we'd start a "what breed is it?" genetic testing service for people in just your position!

Dixiecup. welcome to Pet Talk. I hope you find a home here among many other cat-lovers.

If a Siamese is not a seal-point, that is, dark fur about his ears, muzzle, tail and legs, while the remainder of their body is covered with a sort of a light brown or tan-colored fur, with blue eyes, then he is a Siamese mix. Besides, all purebreds have papers which attest to this fact from a reputable breeder. Finding a near-purebred cat is the best that can be had without breed history papers. Pure-bred siamese do not have tabby markings on them. Another factor to watch for concerning whether your cat is a Siamese mix, is whether the shape of their head is a wedge type with a long thin snout, or the conventional "apple heads". Some Siamese mix may have extended, long wedge-shaped heads.

I have 3 furkids that are Siamese mix. Two are Flame-points and one is a lynx-point. The flame points are mostly all white with some orange on their points (that is, on their ears muzzle, legs and tail) All Siamese, and siamese mix, have blue eyes, whether they have any other siamese markings on them or not. My little lynx-point, Tiger, is more Siamese in character than the others. Although her colors are blotched, gray and white, with definite tabby markings about her face and tail with large expressive blue eyes. At least, she exhibits more Siamese habits than the other two.

If you wish to read up on the Siamese with good photos, may I suggest that you seek, on the internet, the CFA (Cat Fanciers Association) , using any search engine. The "pure-breeders" tell you what to watch for, aside from papers, concerning any pure-bred cat.

.......wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 02-06-2003 at 05:57 AM.

Here's a good resource re: Purebreds

http://www.breedlist.com/faq/purebred.html

Could we see pictures of your kitty? Purebred or not, we love them all here at Pet Talk!!!!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!