Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! I am having problem to integrate my new cat with my 3 other cats

HELP!! I am having problem to integrate my new cat with my 3 other cats

Hi,

I have 3 cats

1. Male / 12 years old
    2. Female 1 year
    3. Female 1 year

They are doing great together, playing and all... :-)
    but I adopted a new cat 2 weeks ago ( male/1 year/operated)
    This male is very gentil and gave us alot of affection, ect. but the first day I present it to the 3 other cats... ohhh my he started to go attacked right away and charge on everyone. I was freaking... so the first attempt was a disaster. For 2 weeks I kept him in a separate room, with toys, and everything... and every day I kept trying to integrate him in the big family. He doesn't stop charging at them and I don't know what to do know... please help.

I need everyone tips on this...

It's good that you have been keeping them separated.
    However, to some degree I think they all need to work their own stuff out. Cats usually will do that in their own way, and their own time.

I found it helpful when I did this to pay a lot of extra attention to my older, established kitty(s).
    If the new kitty is more the aggressor, then maybe he just needs to find out where his position is in the household, and I am sure your other kittys will let him know!
    It may be that he is going to be the 'top cat'.........is there another cat that is challenging this?

Now that you have had them all separated for awhile, maybe it's time to let them be together and work it out (assuming it does not get too rough).

Actually he is very dominating around other cats... he instantly run after them... all the 3 of them fear him :-(

I tried one time to let it alone with one of them and he got in a rought fight with him ( no one got hurt at last :-) ). Maybe it will take more time??

I just never experienced that kind of temper from a cat. When I first introduce my 2 youngs cats 2 the old one. It took like only 2 days and they almost start to play together but this new male... ackk he is very domininating.

I appreciate all your help :-)

thank you

What is the background of this male kitty? It sounds like he is very unsure of other cats. He is attacking ALL of your 3 cats? You said that he is very loving toward you. He may very well be afraid of your cats. I agree that some cats would be better as only cats. This could possibly be one but I would still try the seperation. He may need a little longer to adjust. After all, He has 2 young females to contend with How are your other 3 kitties reacting to him?
    http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v0/1/13/54/49111354iHNAro_th.jpg
    http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v2/8/46/91/43784691yYbdLa_th.jpg
    http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v3/3/35/45/35133545JzgZpz_th.jpg
    http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v2/3/49/42/35134942dLtPer_th.jpg
    http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v2/1/38/43/49113843irMBnj_th.jpg
    http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v0/1/0/60/49110060ASuUAj_th.jpg

When I adoped him, he's files says that he lived with 3 other cats and a dog.

My 2 younger females are very scared (one run and the other one is on protective mode but still ready to run). The older Male (12 years old) look at him for a moment but he is very old and prefare to run i guess. It looks like they smell big danger around him. :-(

Every day I put the new cat in a small cat cage and integrate him with the others (for couple of hours) so they could get used to him.

thank you
    :-)

PS: Sorry for my mispell, i'm french :-(

I went through this problem just 2 weeks ago - although it wasn't quite as serious as your situation. I brought home a 4-month old stray female kitten that showed up at the school where I worked - I have two 2-year-old cats (male and female.) The problem was with the kitten - she would growl and hiss every time she saw Trixie and Bo. Apparently she had had problems with other cats when she was on her own. My two cats were, for the most part, just curious about the newcomer but would also growl when provoked.

During the first several days of introduction, Jazz (the kitten) was kept in a pet carrier while "out in public" and not in her separate room. Of course, there was a lot of growling going on but she couldn't actually get to Trixie and Bo or vice versa so I didn't have to worry about physical attacks. Then, for several evenings, I would allow Jazz out on her own and everytime she growled, she was sprayed with the water bottle. She cut down on the growling quickly because she didn't like the water, plus she found out that Bo and Trixie were not going to pick on her. Since she wasn't growling, the other cats didn't respond with growls either and life has calmed down considerably around my house.

Everyone is now happy again - well, Trixie and Bo both probably wish that annoying little bundle of energy would just go away and stop attacking their tails, but everything seems to be working out. Good luck with your growing family!!

Well Actually, the only thing I'm gonna do is be patient and wait maybe 1 or 2 weeks and when I will feel it's ready, I'll let him free with me near him to see what's he's reaction.

thankx everyone

I'll let you know what happen :-)

a+

Some cats just dominate over others. Just because they are cats, it doesnt mean they HAVE to get along. He sounds like a 'toufh' cat, the others maybe just dont want to accept him for who he is. I had a female non spayed that didnt get along with a neutered male, there really was no friendship between them, i tried and tried to make them get along by putting them together but nothing changed. they just didnt like eachother. I got the female spayed, still no change. that ends my point.

HOPE THIS WILL HELP

céline

Quite a few years ago I brought home a stray cat ( 1 yr. old) and she and my 5 yr. old male hated each other.
    They never did really "work it out", but did manage after some time to co-exist with their cat rules for each other.
    The little female could not go in the living-room, and only in the bedroom with us at night after everyone was asleep. My boy had the run of the house. That was how THEY worked it out between the 2 of them.
    It was okay but not ideal. We had a good sized house and they had access to the outdoors, so it was a situation that worked out well enough.

Not all cats are going to be buddies, but (most) of the time they will find a happy medium if left to their own to do so.
    I don't mean to just throw them together- a gradual intro is best, but it sounds like you have already done that to some degree.
    At some point they need to figure it out for themselves...........as long as no body gets too rough.

Edgardsilver,

Hi there. We got our now 8 month old a 3 month old friend in November. The new kitty was really dominate and hated Noah. It took 2 weeks to get them to tolerate each other so we could let them out in the house during the day alone. It just takes time, and lots of love to the resident kitties. You kitties may also need a "safe zone". Maybe have a place where the resident kitties are allowed only?

Good luck, tell us how it all works out.

What are the names of your kitties?
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I agree with Noahsmommy-It took us that long for our two kitties to adjust too. Yum Yum was about 4 or 5 months old maybe older when we got Dutchess who is 5 years old. Dutchess would always his and sometimes still does when Yum Yum would be near other cats especially when she goes to the vets.
    Good luck, and just remember that it will take time!

http://pepeirce.tripod.com/thekittycorner

It has been 4 months since we rescued Debra (about 1 year old), and Lily (about 15 years old) STILL will not be civil toward her . . . she doesn't seek Debra out, but if she catches sight of her she will hiss, growl and sometimes chase sweet Debra, who only wants to be friends and have a playmate. Luckily for Debra, Lily is in dreamland most of the time, so Debra goes about her merry way without being hassled . . . when Lily makes her rounds, Debra "hides" and Lily will walk right past her . . . it is sad for Lily, but funny at the same time . . .
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

Names

Sorry, I forgot to mention my cats name:

- Xena (1 year old - Female)
    - FIFI (1 year old - Female)
    - BIBI (12 years old - Male)
    - Pistache (1 year old - Male) <--- New one :-)

14. Are Xena, FIFI and BIBI operated (neutered/spayed)?

Yes they are