Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new kitty

A new kitty

Saturday, I went to the local animal shelter and adopted a kitten. He is part of a litter of 5 that was brought in to the shelter. I have not named him yet. The kitten is about 8 weeks old, and he is medium furred, gray and black tabby. Very affectionate for such a young furkid, and he is my first true long furred kitten, ever. Yesterday he was running and playing in the house, squeeling with glee as he played with a few toys that are scattered around. The other 'kids are too big for him to play with, so he entertains himself, however, it will not be long before he will be running like a herd of animals through the house with Chris, Fawn, and the others. Last night he slept next to my head, just as Puma does.

........wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 02-06-2003 at 01:41 AM.

Isolation

Wayne, if I were you, I would do the vet check up before you let kitten hang out with the other cats. She may be carrying viruses etc. Because the kitten came to you via a shelter, there is more reason to be careful. Of course there is no guarantee that the kitten does or does not carry a disease, but it is better to be safe than sorry.

We would love to see photos of this little furball, if you are able to do it. Kittens are wonderful, no doubt about it.

Keep us posted!

I agree with Sas.

Congrats on the new addition!!
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

SAS Vt. I will take her in for a check up today. Although what you say is correct, it did not enter my mind about her carrying any diseases, although she appears to be perfectly healthy. thanks for the warning.

..........wayne

Congratulations!
    Please add taking a stool sample with you to the vet. Kittens ofen have worms and you would not like to be treationg the entire bunch (not fun). Make sure she gets ALL those FIV/FeLV tests also. Don't need any more heath issues.
    Now, here is a public message to you (and I want everyone to be my witnesses). SEND YOUR PICTURES TO ME AND I WILL POST THEM !!!! All you need is a one time use camera (if you don't have a regular camera). NOW DO IT !!!

SAS is very wise in her advice. I never introduce a new cat to my brood till the new one has been to the vet and has a clean bill of health. Stray cats can carry so many things with them. you don't want to go exposing your babies to any of it.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Congratulations on your new furbaby and I agree with everyone who says to bring your little one to the vet.
    Keep us posted and please do as jenluckenbach say "PICTURES PLEASE"

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Congrats Wayne!

Congratulations on Kitten, Wayne! A new baby for the household - how fun!
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

How exciting, Wayne! Can't wait to see pics!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Thanks all, for the encouragement and advice. I have had problems accessing the forum lately, therefore, I do not know how long I will be able to post without the system shutting me out again.

I took the kitten to the vets' yesterday, and they gave him a clean bill of health However, I must quit visiting the animal shelter because of the thought of leaving some of them there after they have expressed their desire to get away to me. At the rate they find homes for the cats, my presence is not required for rescue purposes.

Re: pictures of my pride, I'll have to send the camera to Jen because last time I tried to get pictures on to the net. I lost all computerized identification with this forum. Like I told Jen, I will not be trying to do that again.

(later) Jen told me to send her actual photos of my family. So, I'll have to look into that. The kitten looks like Dexter in Kim's brood.

.......wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 02-06-2003 at 01:51 AM.

How wonderful! A new little boy!! He sounds like a sweet little guy...already sleeping on your pillow and everything.

Does he have a name yet? If you are looking for suggestions, can I propose "Columbia"?
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I'm so thrilled for you and for this happy, healthy little fur-boy. It's great to hear he's all healthy.

Great news!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

You can see a picture of my new furkid by going to Google search engine and entering AWOL animal shelter. I will be the first listing. My little fur baby is the one on the far left of the cage with the 5 kittens in it. Granted the pix is fairly small, but it is large enough to get the idea. Originally I went there to get the black kitten, but like I stated on another thread, he began to hiss and growl at the other cats as I carried him by their cages. And besides, he is smart enough to know when the cage is unlocked from the top, and then jumps up and down in order to open the top enough so he can get out. He did this twice while I was there.

......wayne

I agree with theothers, that the kitty should be separate for now, from the others, I have learned that the hard way

congratulations on the new kitten, how many do you have now?