Thread: Tricks and Hints on teaching your dog cool tricks.......

Tricks and Hints on teaching your dog cool tricks.......

Hi! n I've always wanted to teach my Sadie how to do dog tricks! Like.. flip a doggy treat off her nose, rollover, bang (play dead), "sit pretty" (beg), ect. So, if you have any hints on training dogs how to do tricks, or have any webpages for this, tell me!! I would really appreaciete it if you could!! thanks!

------------------
    ***Sadie May and LabLover***

Make sure your dog understands what you're asking it to do. Repeat over and over for a while the motions and stuff of what you want it to do, while saying the *key* word over and over WHILE saying GGGOOOOOOOOOD DOOOOOGGGGYYYYYYYYYYYYY!! and lots of praise, and small treats at intervals.

I know a good way to teach roll over but I dont know if I'll be able to explain it well typing it. I tried it with Harley and he did it the very first time.

Grab a handful of good treats cut into small pieces. Have the dog in a down position and rolled on to one of his haunches (either side). Hold the treats in front of his nose, he can lick and nibble a little on them. Holding your hand still in front of his nose, guide his head to his side in a tight circle type thing, sort of around the head. As he turns his head for the treats, he'll naturally roll over. If he does, give him the treats and praise.

Eek, I just read this and I see I can't explain it at all without demonstrating. Maybe you're a psychic and know what I'm saying though

I'll post more hints when I find my humane society handout book. Those sheets explain it better than I can.

OK heres how i taught Simba the flip his treat off his nose and catch it. First of all the rules of doggie training is be patient. Make sure while your in the training process only have about 5 to 10 minutes a day teaching the trick because the dog will get bored easily and will not want to do it. When training a dog always have snakies on hand ( i found out broken up puporonis work best on Simba) and the most important thing is if they do it corectly praise them with a food reward and a nice pat on the head or scratch in their fav spot.
    this is how i taught Simba the flip a treat off his nose and catch it trick:
    first of all your dog need to learn how to stay and be somewaht under control. First u tell it to sit and hold its muzzle down so were it is at a straight line. place the treat on its nose and make sure it will not fall. Use wordas like "get it" "ok" or "go" for the dog to catch it. Your dog really needs to be a calm dog and tolerante enough to balance a snack on his or her nose.

It took me 2 days to teach Simba this trick becayse he is a very fast learner. Later i will post how to teach other tricks to you dog but in most tricks your dog needs to be tolerante and sorta calm. And you also need patients. i hope this helps out a lil bit

Ssimba also can lay on his back and I will put a snack on his lips and tell him to stay. I will say ok and he open his mouth the snack falls in and he rolls over and eats it. Like i said the dogs really needs to be tolerante!!!!!!! lol

[This message has been edited by *BaSim* (edited May 27, 2001).]

Thanks guys! That's really helpful info! Right now my dad is installing the Direct T.V.!! I can't wait! Thanks!!

If you point your finger at Daisy (making your hands into a gun shape) and say, "BANG!" she will fall over and play dead. This was so easy to teach, and one of the only tricks we have succeeded with

All you have to do is point at Sadie, say "BANG!" and then gently roll her over. Then praise her a lot, rub her stomach, and give her a treat. Stand her up again and repeat it, again and again. Sooner or later, she will get the hang of it and start rolling over herself. Keep the praise, rubs, and treats coming! This took Daisy maybe 15 minutes before she was doing it perfect, and no offense to my lovely little angel but she's not a genius or anything So it's a simple trick that any dog can learn. Good luck!

Playing dead is one of Hannah's fave tricks.

I started out with teaching her to laydown, you pretty much need that command before you can start the play dead. Then you just gently roll her over on her side saying BANG at the same time, hold her down on her side for a few seconds then tell her she is a good girl and give her a treat. Repeat until you no longer have to roll her and then when you say BANG pointing your finger like a gun she will drop down and play dead. Hannah now stays laying dead untill you tell her to get up. Everyone thinks it cute.

Crawling is also cute and very easy to teach, all you have to do is set up a bench or chairs, something low enough that your dog has to crawl under, you get her to crawl under them several times saying crawl, good girl crawl, and then take the chairs away and ask her to crawl.

Hannah knows many more tricks and when your ready to teach Sadie bigger tricks let us know, delivering the mail always leaves people speachless, playing basket ball is really cute to.

There is a website that explains how to teach tricks, it is somewhere in my favorite file I will post it when I find it

Anyone know how to teach a Pyrenees anything? Montana seems to only do things when she sees a point to it. She knows basic commands (most of the time). She won't fetch anything..well she waits until Sam has done all of the running/swimming and then she moves in to try and steal it from him.

------------------

Oooh....was my reply a conversation stopper or what?!?!?!?

I have never owned a Pyrenees but I do know that the northern breeds are harder to train. Holding the dog's respect is a prerequisite to training. They learn quickly. The trick is teaching the dog to behave reliably without hitting his boredom threshold. It is important to start young. Establish rules of the house early, and make sure that the puppy knows that you are in charge. (if you do not want the dog on the bed as an adult, do not allow it as a puppy). It is also important to establish yourself as the head of the pack very early. Once you do this, the dog will respect you and training will be much easier. Obedience training this breed can be very interesting and extremely challenging. Many owners will complain that their dogs act perfectly in class, but will not obey at home. This breed is intelligent enough to differentiate situations very well, and will apply different rules of behavior for different situations. You must stay on top of the dog and maintain control. The key to training them is to keep them interested and to challenge their intelligence.

So, is it true what they say: You can't teach an old dog new tricks?

bug used to be able to do a cute trick... i would say "time to beat the dog" and she would jump up on the sofa and roll over showing her belly.... her reward of course was a belly rub! i don't do that one around many people (especially strangers) for obvious reasons.... people think i'd really hit the dog! Me?! I cry over lassie re-runs!! her performance trick is "what do good girls do for treats?" i have never seen her plant her butt so hard onto the ground as when you start saying that... by the end of the sentence she is licking her lips.
    maybe its time to teach her some new ones

Ben - You can definately teach old dogs new tricks, its just sometimes easier if you start young. It all depends on the individual dog but it shouldn't be too hard to teach old dogs new things. I think the main obstacle is when they are set in their ways and you try to break habits.