Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Horse Trivia

This is The Princess Isabella, out of the three year old mare Regina. She is just 6 months old.

Here she is playing cutting horse with her dad. I wish you could see the wine color of her mane.

Her is my girl, Lady Roxanne. She will be three soon.

I discovered her with a swollen knee today. Hence the support wrap to try to reduce the swelling overnight. Don't know if it is a sprain, an aggrivated old injury, or protein problem.

And the jester of the court, in all his fat and fuzziness, Parazon!

You'll get to see him strut Tues. after we move him out to were Izzy is and I clip him and ride.

Hope you like them!

Trying to think of some mind boggling questions for you, but I am typing one handed at the moment with a baby sleeping in my lap.
    Job 12:7-10 : But ask the animals and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish of the sea inform you, which of all these does not know, that the hand of the Lord has done this? In His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind. (NIV)

I have no clue if these questions were posted already, but I am not going through 17 pages to find out. LOL!

*Why is it an extremely bad idea to feed a horse hay on a sandy surface? (i.e a beach)
    *What is an incised wound? What is the first concern when finding a horse with this injury? What first-aid action (s) should be taken?
    *What is a puncture? What is the first action to take? What else should be done?
    * Stallions and gelding have ___ (#)teeth. Mares have ____ (#)teeth.
    *Horses have a ____stomach and a _____ intestine. Which is why they can't handle large amounts of grain.
    * ____, _____, molasses,______, _______, _______, and iodine are neccarry for life of a horse.

True or False: If false, correct it to make it true.

A horse should be watered after a hard, sweaty work-out. After the horse has gotten a drink, it should be walked to get cooled down.

A horse should not be watered after eating oats/grain, because it can swell in the stomach causing colic.

Ok...that is more than enough. Heeheehee.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Answer from last question on page 1 - Isn't it just called "parking out?" I ride at a saddleseat barn with all A rated show Morgans and Saddlebreds. Check out the barn at I ride hunter/jumper.

Now here are my questions:
    1). When is it required, besides when they ask you, to post on the incorrect diagonal at a show?
    2). Why does a horse's mane have to fall on the right side?
    3). Do carriage drivers carry their whips on the inside or the outside, and what is the rason behind it?

And just some pics...
    Pony I showed
    TB I leased and showed
    Morab I trained to be a lesson pony and showed
    minis

Luka-Lop, I still have 8 questions that I just posted that need to be answered. Don't post questions until all/most of the answers have been guessed (from the prev. questions from another member) before posting more questions. Otherwise it gets too confusing. It's ok, lol, I know you are new here.

-YellowLabLover & The 7 Rat Pack

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Originally posted by YellowLabLover

*Why is it an extremely bad idea to feed a horse hay on a sandy surface? (i.e a beach)
    Injested sand cannot pass through the horses gut and will settle, and could possibly cause colic problems as it builds up. That is why we feed things like Sandclear, which is a psylium fiber (Metimucil for horses) for a week each month, to for a gel like coating on the sand buildup and help it pass.

*What is a puncture? What is the first action to take? What else should be done?
    Oh, boy, nasty things. When an object has poked into the horse's body, creating a sort of tunnled wound into the flesh or hoof, such as a nail in the hoof. Roxy did this last summer on her knee, right into the joint! First thing to do is to give a toxid tetnus shot to ensure that tetnus is not going to settle in. I do this even if the booster is current just to be safe. Next look for and remove as much debrie as possible, including the culprit of the wound, and flush with an antiseptic/antibactirial solution such as betodine. The rest depends on location and depth, but in general needs to be kept clean, needs to be flushed with the solution every to everyother day, and needs to be kept open so it can drain. The goal is to get it to heal from the inside out, otherwise it becomes an abcess.

I ramble enough as it is, someone else want a shot at the others?

Luka-pop, welcome! We need more people here! Hope you have fun! Love that Morab you posted, one of my favorites!
    Job 12:7-10 : But ask the animals and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish of the sea inform you, which of all these does not know, that the hand of the Lord has done this? In His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind. (NIV)

Originally posted by Equinebehaviorist
    Quite Frankly, I give up on the artist question. I am horrible with people names. Tell me the name of a horse, I know who it is, but people....

As for the second part of #4: Paints, Appys, and Thoroughbreds?

and #5: Thoroughbred and Arabian, but has to maintain the 50/50 blood, I think, right?

Pics of Roxy and the little Princess Isabella coming soon....oh, and one of fuzzy Zon the Arab.

http://www.1000islands.com/ogdensbur...on/fredrem.htm
    First the answer to my artist question is Frederic Remington! I posted 2 pics and a link to read more about him. I can't find the link I had before showing a bunch of the bronze sculptures including the Rattlesnake one. I will have to dig some more to find it.

For question 4 I was looking for the 3 combinations that can be registered, maybe I didn't word it right but the answer is QH + QH, Appendix + QH, and TH + QH.
    For question 5 the answer is English Thoroughbred and pure Arabian. You were right about that Equine.

I love the pics of your foal, in that light she just looks like a dark liver chestnut but it will probably change! Can you show some photos of her mane color in daylight? How is Roxanne's leg doing, any better? Are you going to have the vet look at it?
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

Originally posted by Luka-pop
    Answer from last question on page 1 - Isn't it just called "parking out?" I ride at a saddleseat barn with all A rated show Morgans and Saddlebreds. Check out the barn at I ride hunter/jumper.
    Yes, Parking or Parking out, I think I said the answer some pages back in this thread. Welcome to this thread Luka!
    I checked out your link and it looks like a great place to ride!
    I love the 3 stallions you have there, I noticed two of them have UVM bloodlines. Have you ever been to the UVM Morgan Horse Farm? They have some very beautiful horses!
    I will have to think about some of the questions you and YLL posted, I will come back later to try to answer some.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

Sorry for posting questions before the previous ones got answered (oops didn't know any better), but IMO, it's too confusing as it is. People can't go through and read 19 pages of posts (at least I don't have the time) to follow the convo. And people also can't wait for the question to get answered, especially if it's a tuff one that people have trouble with. It just gets too hectic. Maybe we should start a new post once a certain type of question is answered, like if you're going to ask about color/breed, do it all on one thread, and if you're going to ask about riding style, or anatomy, or behavior, etc. do it as separate categories (or maybe even put a different Subject in with each post). Just my opinion as a Newbie.

Thanks Vermontcat! No, I've never been to the UVM Morgan Farm, but I wish I could. Where/when is it? Actually, one of the stallions, Who's Yer Protege, was recently gelded. BTW, do you ride saddleseat? Just asking cuz parking out is a saddleseat thing, ya know~

Originally posted by Luka-pop
    People can't go through and read 19 pages of posts (at least I don't have the time) to follow the convo. And people also can't wait for the question to get answered, especially if it's a tuff one that people have trouble with.
    You shouldn't have to go through all 19 pages, just the last 3 or so, to get the latest questions/answers. You don't have to wait until all are answered, I noted "all" or "most".

It just gets too hectic. Maybe we should start a new post once a certain type of question is answered, like if you're going to ask about color/breed, do it all on one thread, and if you're going to ask about riding style, or anatomy, or behavior, etc. do it as separate categories (or maybe even put a different Subject in with each post). Just my opinion as a Newbie.
    This thread involves everything about horses, so anything can be posted here, if it has to deal with horses. Making new threads for 16 different topics about the horse would take up too much space on the board for other topics to be posted by other fellow Pet Talkers. Maybe when we hit page 20, I will make a new thread and get rid of this one.

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

Originally posted by Vermontcat
    I love the pics of your foal, in that light she just looks like a dark liver chestnut but it will probably change! Can you show some photos of her mane color in daylight? How is Roxanne's leg doing, any better? Are you going to have the vet look at it?
    She is like a coffee bean color, but her legs look different. Maybe I am just trying to read a special color into her when she is just a good old liver. But she is not the purplish or blackish liver I am used to that you see in Arabs, more brown.

Here are a couple of close up of her legs. I will try to get some closer shots of her mane in the sun, if it ever comes back out again.

This one's a bit fuzzy, sorry.

As for Roxy, she is doing great. The swelling is gone. Her knee is nearly normal, except she has a hard knot on the top of the inside of her knee cap. I will watch this for a day or two, see if it recedes. She is not lame, no heat, and now no swelling. My rule of thumb is as long as it is healing or getting better, to keep working with it on my own, but if there is no change or it worsens within 3 days, then the vet pays a visit. I have been "blessed" (?!) with many experiences of injuries and illnesses with horses, and although I don't always know all the terms and such, I do know how biology and such works, and know enough about meds and treatments to get me through alot before I have to spend money on the vet to have him tell me what I already know.
    I certainly don't recommend anyone else going this route without someone to help eyeball the situation, but it works for me quite well.

Luka-pop,

I just went to the Rock Hill site. I love Moonraker and Protege's pedigrees! I am not really big on the Waseeka lines, as I am not really a saddle set and Saddlebred person, but the Beamington is one of my favorites, Upwey Ben Don and the UVM lines are just awsome! I love the look of both of them too! Jeez, sometimes I wish I were closer to the East coast so I could visit the UVM farm whenever I wanted.

I can't help it, here is a couple more of Izzy.

Learning to stand up nice...."is this right?"

And Look, I am learning to STRETCH, alittle....if I could just get that apple from dad.....without moving my feet

equine behaviorist and luka pop-i love the pictures u posted.Izzy is so cute and so is your mare.lukapop-all the horses at your barn are really cute and i went to your barn website.its pretty cool.
    ~Your best friend doesn't have to be human~

Equine, your posts about your horses swollen leg reminds me of Knight a leopard appy at Camp.

When we brought the herd in one morning, Greg noticed that Knight's front left leg was completely covered in blood. He took him out of the corral to find that Knight impailed himself on something out in the field. Right away Greg called the equine vet and he came down to the corral to check out Knight. He cleaned up the wound and gave him the "lockjaw" shot. Over the next two weeks or so- it was Madi's (my friend) and I job to flush out the wound and clean it out every morning and night. What fun! We had to take a washcloth soaked in steaming hot water and press in over the hole. A couple of minutes later puss and small pieces of bark would come ooozing out of the wound. Then we had to flush it out with Idoine (I think that's what it was...having a brainfart!), and cover the leg in Vasolene. OI! The poor boy- his leg was extremely swollen, he could barely walk. After a while the swelling went away and the wound eventually healed. I have a picture somewhere of Knight getting is wound flushed out, maybe later I'll dig it up.

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

Oh, yes, that was very much like Roxy. I had her in with a BIG (17.2) Percheron gelding, and my little itty bitty (14.1) gelding. Well, there was a tussle, and sure enough, the lady had to get hurt.

BTW, the knot on her knee is gone, so I think it is over. I will still keep an keen eye on it for a week or so to see if it flares up again.