Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are certain breed or colors prone to being overweight?

I don't know if certain breed are prone to being overweight. my Patches is, he's a shorthair, black and white cat, and I think he might be up to about 18 pounds, he is very overweight

neko1
    thanks for the info about science diet, I'm going to try that.

does anyone know how long it takes a cat to lose weight? I mean, because Neko1 mentioned her cat lost 3 pounds in the first year, is it normal for a cat to take that long to lost weight?( I don't mean that was too long, I am just worried about Patches and wonder if it will take a year for him to lose) I wouldn't want Patches to lose too fast.

At one of my vet's visits with Trevor, one of the techs said to the other tech "come look - it's another big orange tabby." I asked her if orange tabbies were generally larger and she said yes. I don't know how much experience this girl had but it certainly made Trevor feel better to know that he wasn't the only big boy.

At one of my vet's visits with Trevor, one of the techs said to the other tech "come look - it's another big orange tabby." I asked her if orange tabbies were generally larger and she said yes. I don't know how much experience this girl had but it certainly made Trevor feel better to know that he wasn't the only big boy.
    yeah, they can be big, my Cookie was an orange tabby, and she was a big cat, not fat, but big. she might have gotten fat in her later years, I don't know..when I got her she was 10 weeks old and only 2 pounds!! I could see her bones! I would say oh if she can just get to 4 pounds then I would not worry anout her. then it was 6 pounds LOl. then she got taller, bigger than Muffin, when she had been so tiny, it was funny to see them next to each other.Muffin had got fat for a when I was feeding cookie the high calorie food and canned food, but she lost the weight fairly soon. same with Emma, was fat for just a short time...hmm I wish patches could slim down like they did.