Thread: FIP in Kewaunee Breeders stock

FIP in Kewaunee Breeders stock

I am very sad to report that I lost an adorable "ring tail" siamese Blue Point kitten to FIP after a three-month struggle to keep him going. Jack had been purchased from a breeder (something like K Ranch) outside of Green Bay -- and I should have known better. The conditions in the home were not clean and all the kittens had signs of "cat flu" or URI but I was in love. He lived eight-months and I adored him. He would hold his tail in a circle up over his back and was a real love sponge. I am worried that my adult boys have been exposed to this horrible virus and may now be able to pass it on to any other kittens that I bring home. If I can save anyone from purchasing a kitten from these disreputable people and keep you from this kind of hopeless grief, I will be a little less bereft. Please be careful. There is no cure and no reliable vaccine for this illness yet.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. That cute little kitty is now at the RB playing happily with the other kitties.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

I am sorry to hear about Jack. He new lots of love in his short time here on earth, and as Neko1 said, he is now playing, in purrfect health, at the RB!

my baby

Yes, but how do I get over the urge to go punch the breeder?

picture

I need to change my profile -- I've moved to WI.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: picture

Originally posted by editrix
    my baby

Yes, but how do I get over the urge to go punch the breeder?
    OMG LOL. I say go for it and scoop up all his kitties
    I have had Minnie since I was 4 years old!! I am 18 now, she is truly my best friend for life!! I also am a momma to 6 other beauties as well :-)

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Maybe you can report the breeder to the better business bureau or some other breeder organization. I sure hope that your other cats will be okay. Please keep us updated.

Hi Editrix, and welcome to PT! I'm so sorry to hear about poor little Jack.

I don't know much about the whole breeding thing and the cat associations out there, but I would think there would be someplace you could report this place to. Whoever it is that "regulates" or determines what makes up a pure bred siamese I would think would be very interested in knowing of unethical breeders.

I was born and raised 1/2 hour South of Green Bay and have been in the Chicago area for about 11 years now. My parents still live there, and WI is still home to me.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

So so sorry to hear of your loss! I have not dealt with breeders at all but I have heard through my Humane Society friends that it's really hard to shut them down. All you can do, you've done, by informing others to boycott. Rest easy in knowing that you will meet up again someday.

slick
    max & speckles

Jack

I attached his picture in my previous post. I can't stop mourning for this little baby. It's been since just before Christmas and I can't stop crying at the worst times. And it's not like I haven't lost cats in my life -- I've always had them! Maybe it was because he was just such a little guy with so much personality! I am just wrecked. Thanks so much for the support, guys -- it means a lot.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

And you have every right to be angry at the breeder. Like you mentioned in your earlier post, you saw that the home was unclean and had signs of 'flu'. That should have been your sign to get out of there.

I don't know who you would report this to. You could call your local cat association and see what they say. They could also tell you if this person has been showing cats, and they would be seriously interested if that were the case (because of the other show cats being in danger).

Again, when one goes through a breeder is it so important to do your research and ask questions! I am just hearbroken when I hear of unethical breeders. It makes my blood boil!

Most likely there is a local animal organization that you could also contact to further spread your message and experiences.

Last edited by Russian Blue; 01-28-2003 at 02:07 PM.
    Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

Editrix, did you have problems with little Jack Kitty pooping in other places than in his litter box?

I have heard of unethical breeders before, but I was beginning to believe that they were few and far between. But now I know better! I know what it is to loose a beloved furbaby, but I do appreciate your frankness on this issue, especially in describing the conditions of the breeder's home for their cats. It gives me more information to watch for, should I go to a breeder to purchase another furkid.

...........wayne
    Last edited by wayne0214; 01-28-2003 at 07:15 AM.

Pooping issues

He always made every effort to make it to the box (he did have runny stools -- can't seem to spell diarrhea so that it looks right -- when the effusive form of FIP first presented itself) but would occasionally leave a spot or two beside the box. The disease didn't present itself until he was five months old and I was fortunate to have a vet that helped me aggressively treat him with steroids, antibiotics and diuretics that kept him alive for three more months with little or no discomfort -- until that last day when he would lie down to eat or even when he went to the box. His kitten "flu" lasted a lot longer than one would expect too -- that should have been a red flag. He would nap on top of the hamper in the bathroom while I showered -- I thought it'd be good to help keep his respitory distress to a minimum. It did. The vet said it was a good idea -- if the cat will tolerate it -- not all of them think the shower is OK!

If a breeder's accomodations EVER look (or smell) suspect, leave. Do not take home a kitten even if one has just bewitched you. You could be putting all your babies at risk.

Originally posted by wayne0214
    I have heard of unethical breeders before, but I was beginning to believe that they were few and far between. But now I know better! I know what it is to loose a beloved furbaby, but I do appreciate your frankness on this issue, especially in describing the conditions of the breeder's home for their cats. It gives me more information to watch for, should I go to a breeder to purchase another furkid.

...........wayne
    Wayne, here in Canada the Animal Control offices are being swamped with the number of calls to go see puppy mills and backyard breeders!

The best way to find a breeder is to go to cat shows and see who is involved with the whole process (not just the procreation aspect). Usually, if you have someone really involved in the cat shows and sitting on committees you will have a good place to start.

Then at that point, go to the breeders home, talk with them, ask for references. Make sure they are registered with the country's Cat Associations and call the associations to get their opinion. It should be a whole research project.

Like I said before, I spoke with breeders, went to cat shows and researched for 4 months before I even thought of purchasing a kitten. Then I sold my place and bought a new home. So in reality from start to finish, Nakita took a process of 1 year to become reality!

Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.