Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: apartment puppy

apartment puppy

i rent a room. my mom and dad have my pom. i am looking for a chihuahua. is it a bad idea to get a puppy from a pet store? are petstore puppies harder to housebreak because of the little cages they've been in?

the pet store i am thinking of getting one at is petland if anyone can tell me anything bad or good about those pet stores please let me know.
    i have lots of friends that are breeders. if you are in need of a puppy let me know.

if you have a dog in need of a home let me know. i may take it.

I haven't ever bought a puppy at a pet store, but that's just me. I think there are so many out there that need homes, you should check into rescues and shelters first. Check petfinder, you can put in exactly what you want, and you may find a chi for you--plus it may already be housebroken.

Lexie,

If you mom keeps your Pom, and you only have a room's
    space, why do want another dog? Also could you update
    us on your Shepherd mix dog that accidently got pregnant?
    Who's keeping her? Thanks.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Do not buy a dog from a petstore, especially a chain, as those dogs often come from puppymills. They tend to be hugely overpriced, and one cannot be sure of their health. Check shelters and look into rescue, plenty of little dogs out there needing homes!

Rescue

I vote for rescue. There are so many that I cant go into a shelter anymore.

But I have my rescue zoo

The petstores here do work for mills (most of them there is one ore two good ones).

A lot of people have complained

I think my question is similar to Liz's. If you can have a dog and already have a Pom which your parents are taking care of, why do you want another one? Can't you bring the Pom with you?

I would never buy or recommend that anyone else buy a puppy from a petstore. Karen pointed out exactly why you shouldn't. If you are determined to get another dog, why not check out shelters or rescue groups?

I'm with everyone else. I don't understand why you are wanting a chihuahua, when you already have a pomeranian that doesn't live with you. Why can't you just bring the pom to live with you?

Please DO NOT get a dog from a pet store! They are from puppy mills. I think Petland in particular is known for getting puppy mill dogs.

And YES, they are definitely harder to housebreak! My sister got a westie from a pet store, and he was horrible to potty train. He had no problems going in his crate, and refused to go potty outside.

If you can't take your Pom, try petfinder.com. You can usually find exactly what you're looking for in your area. Don't buy from a pet store, please!!

Do not get a dog from a store especially PetLand....I have heard many bad things about them.....they get their animals from puppymills............I won't even buy dog food their.........Not sure exactly when it was approx 9-10yrs ago, PetLand was in the paper and all over the news, I think they were brought up on charges for purchasing from puppymills............

Anyone that has purchased a puppy from a pet store should take the time to fill out a free "puppy report" request. PetShopPuppies, Inc. is a federal 501c3 charity dedicated to educating the public about the commercial dog industry.

You can request your free puppy report at http://www.petshoppuppies.com/request.asp and find answers to many questions about the dog industry at http://www.petshoppuppies.org

Kim Townsend

I would suggest not purchasing from a pet store. My parents did many eons ago and they had a dog that they fell in love with then ended up having to be PTS due to seizures. He was from PET LAND. It was something he was born with. They also rescued a dog once out of the newspaper that was purchased from PETLAND that did nothing but walk in constent circles due to having been kept in a cage until she was about 6 months old. No matter how much she was excercised she could not break the old circlilng behavior. I have read and seen on TV many stories about how sick these dogs can be.

I was curious once and asked about a chi pup that this particular pet store had. The starting price was $1399.00 with no guarantee, $1499.00 for two year guarantee and $1599.00 with five year guarantee. I just about dropped that poor puppy. These prices are the reasons that puppies live in these pet stores sometimes for months.

Watch your local paper or look for reputable breeders on line or even check rescues, especially if you are in no hurry due to your current living situation.

Take it from a chi owner, just because he will be small does not mean he will not need lots of exercise. Chopper wears poor Champ out daily playing, when she lies down he is still ready to go. This is after playing fetch outside or on the floor with other family members.

please please do not buy from a pet store. I will be more than happy to help you find a rep breeder if that is the route you chose, if you want just PM me.

Traci
    ~Traci, Duke, Champ, Chopper and Ryleigh

On occasion I have been know to speak Chopperese.

This is from 2003
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132
    This is from 2003

Sometimes that is the frustrating part on the board. Someone resurects an old old post, but since it has new replies you don't think to checks the dates, and I've been guilty of that myself. Other types of boards I've been to delete posts after a certain period of non activity. It's hard to remember to check dates on all the posts.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

First of all, getting a dog when you're renting a room is a bad idea. Not fair to the dog at all.

Buying from a pet store, well that's a whole other thread entirely. MOST pet stores buy from puppy mills. Puppies from mills are sick and often come with a host of illnesses you don't know about till the dog gets sick. Besides, why BUY a dog when you can adopt one that is going to death row.

Please reconsider your idea. Keeping a dog in a ROOM is just not right. Dogs, regardless of what SIZE the dog, need room to run.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Sometimes that is the frustrating part on the board. Someone resurects an old old post, but since it has new replies you don't think to checks the dates, and I've been guilty of that myself. Other types of boards I've been to delete posts after a certain period of non activity. It's hard to remember to check dates on all the posts.
    I have too, I was just looking back on his girls posts and she seems like she was a troll anyways. Went from one lie to another, while I was reading I had such a urge to reply but it would be pointless.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee