Thread: Mickey's Leg

Mickey's Leg

whenever we take mickey out to do his "potty" he'll pee/poop and then we'de play for awhile. i've noticed sometimes he'll be running and every so often, lift his leg up a little and limps a bit. ( i don't know if limp is the right word) then it will touch back to the floor. it's as if the snow if cold on his paws (well, obviously). i take him inside after that, but i'm wondering if it is anything to worry about? thanks!

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Both of mine do that sometimes too. Once when Kito did it, he was whining and whimpering so I checked it out--he had snow caught up in his paw--I took my glove and wiped it clean, and he was ready to run again. They do it if they step on salt to, and just generally out in the snow--but they usually walk it off, or run to mommy to fix it. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Millie does this a lot when it's cold outside or if there's snow on the ground. Occasionally she lifts up BOTH back legs and walks on her front two! I wouldn't worry.

I believe Mickey is ok. Just be careful with extreme cold on the babies feet. Dogs can get frostbite. I always check for ice buildup between the pads when we come in from playing in this extreme cold we are having. I also never use salt to thaw the ice. I let mother nature do it! Salt is very harmful to puppy pads.

Malone's feet get painful too, and soemtimes he lets out a yelp as he limps. My sister got him soem doggie slippers and they helped quite a lot. Just a thought.

Unfortunately, we don't have a choice about the salt--our apartment complex puts it down. It hasn't snowed in at least a week, and last time they used enough to clean all the roads too--I wish they would go out and sweep it--maybe I will where the doggies walk.

thanks for all the replies! we don't stay out to long and whne we bring him inside, we clean his paws with a rag, so i would notice some ice buildup. the slippers sound like a good idea. my mom's friend has a lhasa apso that wears them because of the salt. we don't put out any though. thanks! at least i know not to worry!

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road