Thread: Dogs and birds

Dogs and birds

As most of you know, I have 3 dogs and I'd love to get a cockatiel. Does anyone here have dogs and birds? Is it difficult having both?
    Tanya, Hans, Fritz & Sparky

My guess is it would depend on the breed of dog. I have sporting breed dogs who have hunting in their blood naturally and having a bird with them in the house would be close to impossible! If your dogs don't really care about birds that much then I don't think it would be a problem.

I have dogs (the same kind as Dixie has), cats and birds, Tanya. My birds are Cockatiels, and such a joy!!! I'm listening to them right now.....Roger keeps asking Milly, "Whatcha doing, birdie?". LOL!!! I keep them in a spare bedroom and they get lots of attention from us and lots of time out of their cages, but only behind a closed door, just to be on the safe side. They have a huge window to look out of and they enjoy that a lot. I have just decided that keeping them separate from the dogs and cats is the best thing for their safety. I babygate the door when they are in their cages, and close it when they are out. Wouldn't want another dog related accident with a cage! Honey and Lilly knocked over a hamster cage once when we weren't at home, and we lost the little hamster as a result. I can't blame the dogs and cats for their natural instincts, so we have just found a way to make it work for everyone.

Good luck!!! The birds are so much fun!

Logan

yep... my 2 inch cauique chases my dogs around!lol