Thread: Bassett breathes funny

Bassett breathes funny

For a long time now Bassett breathes really heavy. It doesn't appear laboured or like she is uncomfortable, but it's still noticable. She breathes faster than even Nutmeg, who is still just a kitten. I don't really know how to describe what it's like.

Could it be because she is overweight? When she goes for her next dose of vaccinations, I'm going to have the vet run some blood tests on her. I think her weight trouble might be more than just a fat cat. Also, this breathing thing worries me. Does anyone know what it could be?

I'm sorry to hear about Bassett's breathing problems. I sure hope that it's nothing serious. I'm sorry that I can't help you. Do you think that it could be a reaction from the medicine she's now taking? All fingers and paws are crossed here. Please keep us updated on her condition.

I don't think it's a reaction because she has always done this, however in the last year she has gained more weight even though she is on weight reducing food. So I really don't know what it could be

I can't help but wonder if it IS the extra weight? But her weight gain could possibly be caused by something treatable, besides just over eating. I think tests will help. Best of luck with her.

I would think the heavy breathing might be because of the extra weight. What kind of medicine is she on? I do know that some medicines will cause weight gain so that could be part of the problem, but if it's hard for her to breather, that might be making her less active which would also contribute to the weight gain. I would definitely check with your vet because if she does have some kind of condition, the earlier it's caught the better. Please keep us updated on what you find out.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

When is her next visit? Soon?

I would also be inclined to think it was because of her weight. How much does she weigh? Is she able to clean herself ok? My Marius was so overweight at one time that he couldn't clean properly, so that would be an indication. Your vet would probably have the best view on this since he could listen to her breathing. I sure hope it's nothing serious! Get that precious girl to the vet and let us know what happens!
    **hugs**
    Karen

When she breathes, is it almost like her lungs are breathing twice? Does that make sence???

Basie was recently diagnosed with a mild form of feline asthma and does this.

Ask your vet about that. The only way they could diagnose Basil was with a chest xray and a blood panel ($200 later)...so I would check on the wieght thing first. But this may be an option too.

Please give Bassett some kisses for me. Poor thing.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Sorry to hear that Naomi. I hope the vet's visit is OK. It hopefully is just a side-effect of carrying extra weight but will definitely be reassuring to know for certain.
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Even without xrays or blood work, by listening to the heart and breath sounds with a stethoscope, a lot could be learned: Fluid in the lungs, wheezing, (inaudible by ears alone) weak heart sounds or murmur, etc. I'm sure that with or without a specific condition, the extra weight most probably is making her breathing more difficult. Does she breathe like that at rest or only after exertion?? Gosh, I hope you find out what the problem is. Watching breathing like that in kitties is so unsettling I'll be thinking of your sweet Bassett and saying prayers.
    Last edited by tatsxxx11; 01-14-2003 at 06:11 PM.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Thanks for all the replies. I haven't made an appointment yet, but I'm wondering if I should. She breaths like this all the time, but after playing its much more noticeable. If it was only some of the time, I would worry more, but she's breathed like this for a very long time. I think I will call the vet right now, and see what they say.

I just made an appt for tomorrow at 3:30. I'll let you all know what comes of it. The vet said that, especially for a young cat like Bassett, this breathing is really abnormal. Thanks everyone!

Well, we leave to see the vet in a couple hours. I won't say "white coat" because all the vets at that office wear the really cute shirts with cats and other animals on them and jeans - it's not very formal, which I like. I will post when we get back and let you know the scoop!

Good luck! I will take my laptop home to check in!!! Everything is crossed here!!

really sorry to hear that, I don't know when your next vet appt is, but it if is not soon, maybe you should take her in there to have it checked...
    Faith in God