Thread: Elvira LOVES her mouse

Elvira LOVES her mouse

I've attached a pic of Elvira (actually 2, but the second one is in the next post). She is at least 17 years old and maybe 18 but certainly doesn't act her age. Lately she's taken to jumping on top of the refridgerator and I've had to put big boxes up there to stop her. Recently (maybe in the last 2 years) she's taken to this toy mouse I got her. She walks around with it in her mouth and meows very loudly. She also lays it down on the floor or sofa and sits there and talks to it continuously, sometimes for 15 minutes at a time. Does anyone else's cat do this with their toy mouse.? She's obsessed with this thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Elvira's second picture

Elvira and mouse in her mouth (see last post).

I don`t know if she is obsessed or not, but she is one beautiful cat!

I have no idea why she does that. That is such a funny, precious story. thanks for sharing

Hee, hee. She looks so adorable with her mousie. And very healthy for 17+ years. What do you feed her?

Please give her a scritchie for me, thank you.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

My Thumper used to do that with his favorite toy, too. I had forgotten about that, thanks for the memory.

p.s. beautiful kitty.

Yes! My 9 year old Kona has been doing the same thing for years with her stuffed bunny. She carries it around in her mouth while walking around the house. And she makes a meow that sounds like a long, drawn-out call, which is muffled by the bunny of course.

I always thought that she was acting like a momma cat with a kitten, but she never had a litter. Maybe it's instinct?

Bast does that ALL the time! But she makes an *eek* sound not a meow. She gets obsessed with one mousie at a time (she has 18 of them - little catnip ones!). Her favourite today is purple hairless and tailless catnip mousie!
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

My cats do the exact same thing .... especially Grace and Dexter!!! They will get a mousie in their mouth and walk through the house sort of howling! THen they usually bring it and drop it in the bed with me! hehehe

I think it is some sort of instincive thing ... a hunting ritual or something! Very cool, but a bit annoying in the middle of the night! hehe
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

I am happy for her that at this age she still acts like a kitten and she moves a lot. She's very funny with the mousie in her mouth
    Here's Juni fetching one of her favorite toys - a skein

Tubby, who is also all black and 16 1/2 now, used to do that with some slippers I used to have. They were big and soft and looked like elephant feet (I loved those slippers). Every morning when I left for work the slippers were in my bedroom. When I came home from work they were both in the middle of the living room. When I went to bed at night, they were back in the bedroom, and when I woke up in the morning, well, guess what....they were back in the living room! He would carry them around and meow like you said, through the slipper, then set it down and lick it for awhile, then go off and go to sleep somewhere. When he woke up he'd go get the other one out of the bedroom and do it all over again. Don't know why the first one wasn't good enough anymore, and if I left them in the middle of the living room, they never moved anywhere else. Evidently he was trying to tell me that they belonged in the livingroom, Mom, NOT in the bedroom, thank you very much!

Elvira certainly does look well for her age, and I'm glad she's still so active and playful.

Oh, and I don't know whatever happened to those slippers. I could have sworn I brought them along when I moved in with Terry, but I guess not because I haven't been able to find them anywhere since then. I must have thrown them out in a fit of cleaning as I was moving. How could I do such a thing to poor Tubby. He's never acted like he misses them, and hasn't taken up anything else in their place.......I guess he really didn't care about them except that he had to make sure they were in the living room.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Thanx to all that repllied about Elvira and her mouse. I now know other cats do this as well (although I have six and she's the only one in this family who does do that). And thanx for the pic of beautiful Juni who 'caught' her toy too.

BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL kitties on this thread! Elvira is gorgeous, and you would never know she's a senior kitty. I love the picture of Juni with the huge eyes and ears - she looks wild! I've seen my kitty once in a very great while carrying a glitter pom-pom ball around the house in his mouth, but silently. I would LOVE to see these silly kitties in action with their "prey".
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

Oh, Juni goes really wild when fetching. I have a video, but I need to have it on a website to post it here.

They always look so proud when the've caught something. Juni: send more pix please
    Elvira: I hope I will look like you in that age