Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mink or Pine Marten?

Mink or Pine Marten?

I will be getting a new pet this spring. I have to decide whether I want a pine marten or a mink.

I am leaning towards the mink (not albino, I prefer the black) but pine martins are also cute.

Has anyone hear ever owned a mink before? You all should know what they are, they are slaughtered for their pelts. I have researched them tremendously and I will be getting a bottle baby. We are in the process of building him/her a huge enclosure. I may get a same sex pair though, and if I do then of course it will be females.

To see where my new pets are comming from, click here
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

We have pine martens here in Wisconsin...I've seen them at our cottage before. I'd never own one though, they belong in the wild.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Actually pine martens have been bred in captivity for a long time. Almost as long as ferrets which of course as polecats in the wild. None of my exotic pets came from the wild or have wild parents. They were all born in captivity.

A lot of things belong in the wild. We wouldn't have rats if they weren't eventually domesticated. You can say that about any pet.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Also, if it weren't for some breedersof these animals they would be extinct by now. Chinchillas for instance are endangered species. But since they have been domesticated they will always live on as long as their are breeders out there with a love for them.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

I would get 2 males and have them netured. Females fix fight they are terriroal. Males are less to fight if fixed and raised to gether. I raised chinchillas for years very seldom could the females be to gether without one trying to kill the other. There are exceptions but myself I wouldn't want to risk the animal or my investment.
    Good luck with your choice.

I am talking about mink. Both male and females are kept together and do not fight. Also I know a few friends who breed chinchillas and I have one, a PEW male. I have never heard of any of the females being territorial.

The same as mink. They are kept on fur farms and live together in same sex'. I have never heard of such a thing and the breeder who I am getting them from keep them together.

I WILL have them altered of course. Both males and females will show agression if they come into mating season. They are just like skunks, which I have also kept. If they are not altered and come into heat without being bred, they will die.

I own an exotic animal rescue. I have owned many types of exotics and I always thouroughly research any pet I get, before it comes home with me.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Hey luckies are you the one where the wife of that crazy cocc hunter had her cougar? They did a show of her releaseing it again strange pair.

I don't quite understand what you are asking?
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

luckies4me...please don't take offense to this...I checked out the site you said you'd be getting your new pets from. From what I saw, I'd have some real concerns getting an animal from them.

They give virtually no care information for each species. There is no adoption contract, just a purchase agreement....which makes me believe that they do not care how the animal is cared for as long as they place all these babies into paying homes. To me an ethical breeder would want you to tell them exactly how you are going to care and provide for one of their animals. They at least should provide more specific info on their site about the care and time each requires not just 3 or 4 lines!
    http://www.awesomeexotics.freeservers.com/custom2.html
    That page is a joke. For example: For a raccoon it says diet is dry dog food. I would think a good breeder would provide what types of dog food are best, which has the best nutrition etc.. the lack of information about the care of each implies to me that they don't care how potential owners care for their animals.

I would also think that considering they are selling exotics that they would want you to also show in a contract your state laws making sure that it is legal in your state to own said animal. They just put that it is the purchaser's responsibility to know the laws in their state. So...they sell to a person in a state where it's not legal...what happens when possibly the animal is confiscated and destroyed? Do they not care that that is a possibility?!

What really got me on a rant in the first place was when I glanced at the page of animals for sale. Ferrets are $50 and they state that they are not fixed or descented! NO ethical breeder of ferrets would sell a ferret that is not fixed or does not specifically state in an adoption contract that they will be fixed at x month. Basically I gather from this site that any joe blow with the right $$ could buy a pair of unaltered ferts...and should they get the bright idea not to fix them and try to breed them without any regard to genetics or blood lines ...the results would be horrid...most probably ending in the death of the female for if she is not taken out of heat she will die.

To me, their site shows callous disregard for the animals they are selling. I would be concerned about getting an animal from them. Can they tell you anything about bloodlines etc..? I would hate for you to get an unhealthy animal. I know that you have done the research and would properly care for whichever animal you choose...but what about joe blow who thinks it would be cool to have an exotic? I am appalled that the site does not have any specific requirements for the care taking of their animals....especially since they are exotics and require more care than other animals.

Just my 2 cents for what its worth. I'm not trying to rain on your parade or preach...I just wanted to share my concerns.

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets

I totally understand where you are comming from believe me, and your concerns are ligit.

However, their site is fairly new. Their is an adoption agreement/sales agreement which states several factors that must be met before the animal can be homed.

Most breeders of exotic pets cannot keep up on the laws for each state, it is almost impossible. Each state is different and laws are always changed. It is the BUYERS responsibility to research the pet they think they may want, and for them to do the work. They require USDA licensing for all individuals who want to breed and I was drilled tremendously. But I don't want to breed, just needed to point that our lol.

As for care articles yes they do not give much info on the site but when you purchase the animal you get a five (I think) page booklet on each animal that explains feeding, care, housing etc.

The ferrets are breeders only, not pets. They are unaltered so that they can be bred but will be altered if the buyer wants them as a pet. The exotic animal trade is very confusing if you do not know how it is ran.

They take very good care of their animals and have spacious enclosures, a lot bigger than almost every other dealer I have seen, which is what drew me to them. They keep their animals clean and healthy and that is what matters to me.

Being in exotic animal rescue I always run into throw a way type animals. Most of his animals are sold to other educational facilities, zoos etc. Mink are VERY hard to care for and not for most people. They stress this very much. I will be using this animal for educational outings at schools etc. Hopefully he will be semi tame, but I'm not counting on it.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

I'm sorry, but I don't believe in breeding wild animals like that for "pets." I don't know, it just bothers me. Just like people breeding wolf hybrids. Ok a smaller animal like a mink which is similar to a ferret seems different to me then like a coyote, fox, raccoon, bobcat, etc. (which they sell on that website). And a black bear??

I think it's great that you do exotic animal rescue. Isn't there any way you could get a mink from a rescue? I, personally, think it should not be as EASY as it seems to get an exotic animal like on that website.......just hand over the money and we'll ship it to you...

Now I'm not saying that you and other people are not capable of caring for an exotic animal (it seems you are very well suited to do this)....it's the OTHER people I'm worried about...the ones who think it's "cool" to have an exotic pet....

Yes I agree. I dislike the breeding of black bear, and bobcat etc.

There are not any rescues that take in Mink that I am aware of.
    I am working on my license for that area also. I used to take in bobcat but we had to let Dans father 'borrow" the house so....But as soon as he finds a place we get it back, thank god!!

I do plan to breed Servals one day, after I have enough money and get my CITES license. But this will be conservation (they are endangered species) and will only be sold to other conservationists or zoos and educational facilities such as Wildlife on Easy Street.

Unfortunately exotic pets are all too easy to get ahold of. We have a unique animal expo comming up in February. They bring all sorts of exotics, even Caracals! Most they bring (like caracals who are listed in CITES) are illegal here without a holding/propagating license, USDA license and a CITES license. Others are just plain illegal period! I know there will be many people who go and leave with another exotic pet they have never researched and know nothing about! Most people breed just for money, it makes me sick!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Go here

I would like to have something similar one day.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Neither....they both belong in the wild and should stay there. I don't believe in captive breeding at all unless it's at a zoo for the preservation of a species.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Originally posted by luckies4me
    I totally understand where you are comming from believe me, and your concerns are ligit.

However, their site is fairly new. Their is an adoption agreement/sales agreement which states several factors that must be met before the animal can be homed.

Most breeders of exotic pets cannot keep up on the laws for each state, it is almost impossible. Each state is different and laws are always changed. It is the BUYERS responsibility to research the pet they think they may want, and for them to do the work. They require USDA licensing for all individuals who want to breed and I was drilled tremendously. But I don't want to breed, just needed to point that our lol.

As for care articles yes they do not give much info on the site but when you purchase the animal you get a five (I think) page booklet on each animal that explains feeding, care, housing etc.

The ferrets are breeders only, not pets. They are unaltered so that they can be bred but will be altered if the buyer wants them as a pet. The exotic animal trade is very confusing if you do not know how it is ran.

They take very good care of their animals and have spacious enclosures, a lot bigger than almost every other dealer I have seen, which is what drew me to them. They keep their animals clean and healthy and that is what matters to me.

Being in exotic animal rescue I always run into throw a way type animals. Most of his animals are sold to other educational facilities, zoos etc. Mink are VERY hard to care for and not for most people. They stress this very much. I will be using this animal for educational outings at schools etc. Hopefully he will be semi tame, but I'm not counting on it.
    My real problem with the site is the selling of whole ferrets. That's just way too easy for someone who thinks it's cool to breed to buy an unaltered pair and try to breed. For one...to properly breed, you need at least 5 ferrets....one of which being a vasectimized hob(male) to take the female out of heat during the times you don't her bred, more than one male so that at least one is in rut for when you want to breed, and a good vet that will give your female a hormone shot in case none of your males can bring her out of heat. So many things can go wrong with even experienced breeders.

Just to easy for someone with only marginal experience to get a breeding pair when in reality they need more than 2...not to mention no consideration of bloodlines and genetics. Ferrets are prone to many diseases/cancers. To breed a pair of ferrets without knowing their bloodlines and what genes they possess is completely iresponsible. Someone unexperienced can breed animals with the Waardenburg gene unknowingly and perpetuate deafness in ferrets etc etc..

Also, ferrets are domestic animals, not an exotic. Most of the ferrets I have are rescues. There is such an over population...I know many shelters that have a hard time keeping up. I just have a real problem with that site, perhaps unwittingly, contributing to backyard breeders. Ethical breeders have homes for all the babies before they're even born. They know the bloodlines. They are always prepared to care for any animal they breed for the rest of it's life if in any case the person adopting one of theirs does not work out. They know each and every person they adopt one of their babies to and educate that person in ownership if need be. Also want to add...the few breeders I know and shelters for that matter have extensive adoption agreements...listing how many pets, what happened to them, how you plan to care for the ferret(what size cage and food you plan to feed), whether you rent or own, your vets name and phone number etc.. All of this is to make darn sure that the animal they have bred is going into an excellent, educated home for the ferret.

I haven't done any research on exotics. My only problem with that site was the selling of unaltered ferrets. I'm sure you've done the research and I know you'd give any of those animals a good home. I'm not trying to sound pompous...but as long as you're comfortable with the site and know they're legit...that's great, I wish you the best of luck. my 2 cents again, for what it's worth.
    Last edited by Chinadoll; 01-11-2003 at 05:44 AM.

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets