Thread: Fisters Journey - GET UP I'M HUNGRY!

Fisters Journey - GET UP I'M HUNGRY!

Every time that Fister has had unhappy experiences away from us, he has come back much more prepared to accept us and appreciate his life up here with us. At the beginning of our journey together he was more or less impossible, but I always said that after 5 years with us he would become a domesticated old softy, and now, after 5 1/2 years it looks as if my prediction was reasonably accurate. (though domesticated old tyrant would probably be a better description).

The latest (and hopefully last) drama, a week in hospital and a horrible operation, has really opened his eyes this time. Now there’s no stopping him! At this very moment he’s standing in the bathroom complaining bitterly because we won’t come out and turn the tap on for him so that he can drink running water from the floor. He probably won’t be bothered to drink it anyway if we do, it’s just the POWER AND CONTROL that’s the interesting bit. He has also begun to shout at us if his litterbox isn’t completely clean. If we go to bed later than usual he will become very restless, complain loudly, and race about the flat knocking things over and generally being very naughty. Since the operation, we have been able to give him small treats, shrimps and ham and all the good stuff he really likes. But this has resulted in him expecting treats all the time. I only have to approach him sleeping in his bed and his head will shoot up, he will stretch out his paw, large open expectant hungry eyes fixed upon my hands. He has also become VERY vocal, but luckily for us he doesn’t miaw very loudly. He’s never miawed much up in our flat, but would usually “talk” to us, having a whole range of little chirps and purrs to tell us what he wanted or how he felt.

This morning was a classic case of “The New Fister”. Unbeknown to me, we had forgotten to leave his food out for his early morning snack. Unforgivable, totally unacceptable, we can’t have this - something’s got to be DONE about it! So the “Waking the Dead” routine took on a whole new meaning. This was SERIOUS!

Get up NOW. This is your last warning!

I have lived with cats all my life, and have incredible respect and love for them, but won’t let them bully me around. So Fister is used to explosive reactions when he tries to wake me. But nothing was going to stop him this morning. It started with his classic secret weapon, the whisker tickle. On my face, in my ears, in my eyes, up my nose, no stone was left unturned. Since this only produced dangerous rumbling sounds and occasional small earthquake-like tremors, he continued his quest elsewhere. First the duvet scratch, which originated as a means of obtaining access under the covers, but which here took on a whole new dimension of urgency. When finally offered the sanctuary of my duvet he just ignored it with a disdainful sniff. THAT wasn’t the point of the excercise now was it! Since none of this was working, he decide to try sitting on me. First he sat on my arm for a while - no reaction. Then he moved on and sat on my chest (7 1/2 kg!), but that became too precarious. So finally, giving up on that, he decided to sit right in front of my face. So when I did eventually wake up my nose was buried in his warm soft coat, making it very difficult to breathe, and I realised that there was a message in this somewhere, and there was just no point in ignoring him any longer.
    Luckily for me, Randi decided at this point to get up and the situation was stabilised with the introduction of a new pile of dry food on his favourite plate.

He used to be such a timid, well behaved polite little fellow, but it looks as if those times are now behind us. He certainly seems to be turning into a real little dictator!

john
    Last edited by Randi; 01-09-2003 at 03:14 PM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

It seems to me you got off quite easy, whiskers up the nose, the cat sit, the duvet scatch, and the furinface! Mild rebuke for the grievous sin of FORGOT THE MORNING SNACK!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I guess as long as you have learned your lesson and most importantly -- Fister has his kibbles -- we'll let it go!

Re: Fisters Journey - GET UP I'M HUNGRY!

Originally posted by Randi
    [B]At this very moment he’s standing in the bathroom complaining bitterly because we won’t come out and turn the tap on for him so that he can drink running water from the floor. He probably won’t be bothered to drink it anyway if we do, it’s just the POWER AND CONTROL that’s the interesting bit. He has also begun to shout at us if his litterbox isn’t completely clean. If we go to bed later than usual he will become very restless, complain loudly, and race about the flat knocking things over and generally being very naughty. ...He has also become VERY vocal, but luckily for us he doesn’t miaw very loudly. He’s never miawed much up in our flat, but would usually “talk” to us, having a whole range of little chirps and purrs to tell us what he wanted or how he felt.
    Oh John I should have sent you Tigris instead of Filou. These are his methods. Plus some house specialties: e.g. he lifts framed pictures with his big paw so that you are afraid they will drop on him.
    I am very lucky that Siegmar is the one to get up in the night when our totally spoilt and badly educated cats ask for a midnight snack. And I agree -not because they are starving, just for POWER AND CONTROL

Re: Fisters Journey - GET UP I'M HUNGRY!

Originally posted by Randi
    .......... It started with his classic secret weapon, the whisker tickle. On my face, in my ears, in Then he moved on and sat on my chest (7 1/2 kg!), but that became too precarious. So finally, giving up on that, he decided to sit right in front of my face. So when I did eventually wake up my nose was buried in his warm soft coat, making it very difficult to breathe, and I realised that there was a message in this somewhere, and there was just no point in ignoring him any longer.
    john
    John - a quick question - has Fister ever read Garfield?!?!
    ROTFL!!!

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx

Oho! Filou taught Fister some tricks when they partied, eh?

John and/or Randi may not be so quick to host a feline kegger (uh, catnipper?) in the future if this is the result!
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Lesson learned...

Cats are just like babies, once you start something - a routine, they catch on quickly. That is why I have NEVER FED MY CATS SPECIAL FOOD IN THE MORNING......ONLY AT NIGHT. I learned with cat #1, that holy war would be waged every morning, trying to get me out of bed to be fed, so, evening feedings are it for my guys. In fact, I don't always feed them treats etc. the same time each night, for fear that they will consider it a routine! I always have dry food down and freshen it each AM, but that is about it. I usually get to sleep in each morning, thank goodness.

For all those folks who have not learned, maybe you will with the next cat ... no morning feedings....got it? Hehehehehehe!

Fister has you two right where he wants you, wrapped around his furry little paws!

Cats instinctively know when you are awake. I have found it to be useless to try and fake being asleep. Tiger knows when I am awake, whether it is in the middle of the night or early morning, she will go through her routine of parading all over me to let me know to "get up, I'm hungry!"

..........wayne

Oh Fister, you smart boy. It's so good to hear that you're doing so well after your sir jury, and that you can even have treats now! Yipee!!! I know John grumbles about you waking him up in the morning, but I know he is actually very happy that you're doing so well. And if he's lived with other cats before, he should be used to the dictatorship by now. So just give him a few head bumpies now and then and I'm sure he'll forgive you for waking him up so early.

Thanks for another entertaining Fister tail, John.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

I get to read your stories John before I leave the office and everytime after that, I have a good evening reflecting on them. Absolutely entertaining
    And I agree with Debbie, in fact, you like Fister torturing you with his little antics, he's soooo special

Dear Fister,
    I can only smile when I read the tails of mastering Randi and John. You sure do have them right in the middle of your cute paw, don't you? Don't ever let on to John that you won't ever have the need to BULLY him. He falls right into your trap every time. You are such an demanding little furkid, though aren't you? I never tire reading of your life of utter luxury. My kids aren't as demanding with the food, maybe because I have learned to fill up the kibble the night before. Course, maybe your daddy sleeps into long.