Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Pets' Names?

Why Pets' Names?

Hey there! I am posting this exciting thread....(hope not only for me! ) I would looofve to know why you call your pet those name(s)...because of...? Personality? Just Being Creative? Colour? In Memory of..? Experience(s)?

I have a dog who is Mocha and a cat who is Zephyra... I'm gonna tell you my reasons so we will be even!

Mocha..is because her color (black, darrrkk brown) is almost like mocha(coffee)...and her previous name was 'Lady' in SPCA. Yes, she may be a lady but Mocha suits her as well! Named by my sister...

Zephyra is because... One day, we, me and my brother played a game -hangman...He picked out a word, "Zephyr" which means 'wind'..'breeze'.. and that unforgettenable last word that HE taught me just kept on popping inside my mind because we never had a brothership since that last game...and I miss him so much, so I thought I'd dedicate that word to my dream black kitten "Zephyra" so I can remember him everyday and be able to touch a real heart of his. Gee, hope this isn't bad to hear! Ok....I would love to hear yours, meow!
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

Neko cause it means 'cat' in japanese, Cookie cause she's black and white like an oreo, Pumpkin cause she's orange, and Tama is named after a cat in Fushigi Yugi.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

Of our 7 pets plus 1 foster, we gave names to 5 of our pets, and are trying to get a new name for the foster.

My fiancee had Eli and named him before I came into her life, so I don't know why he was named that.

Sassee was rescued from a puppy mill, and she was given the name to try and liven her up some, it didn't work. She is more layed back that I am if thats possible.

We named Ginger because of her color, and the name seemed to stick.

We are still trying to come up with a new name for our foster DJ. I will probably start a thread asking for suggestions.

Jackson and Rosie are still using the names they were adopted with.

I take none of the credit (or blame) for naming Twidgit. She was named by my fiancee, as a combination of twit and igit, due to how she was as a kitten.

I gave 3 potential names for one kitten, and my fiancee picked Ashton.
    Scott is owned by 5 cats: Jackson, Fluffy, Twidgit, Ashton, Lexi;
    and 3 dogs: Eli, Sassee, Ginger

Fuzzy317's Pictures

well, my sister had recieved a beanie baby puppet from her friend as a gift and his name was rocket, so when we got our bird, we named the male after him. sky got her name because of her sky blue color. we chose mickey just because we all thought it was a cute name. no particular reason. but, i did notice on the net that the name "Miki" means "polar bear" in Inuit. cool..

=0)

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Nanook: (white shep mix) means polar bear in eskimo language

Raustyk: (pronounced rustic, a rottweiller) is short like the "old style" rotts were and rustic means old, also her red markings are a rust color. I just spell it fancy.

Chaos: (my ferret) is total chaos!

Togette: (a rescued chocolate hooded dumbo rat) I wanted a name that started w/ a T & I had "to go get" her, I just spelled it fancy

Lil' Love (lilac hooded dumbo rat) Is small and full of love!

Crazy Horse: (aguti standard rat) Looks kind of like a horse w/ her color & her ears and she is CRAZY!

Aenka: (albino dumbo rat) means white in japanese

Kenda: (lilac hooded dumbo) means magical powers in dakota native american and her attitude is magical. It also means downy haired in some other language (I have it written down somewhere but can't find it now) and her hair is soft like downy softner LOL

Gillian (lilac self dumbo) means girl in Teutonic
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

Tinky had her name before I even got her. The second Pet Detective movie with Jim Carey... in the movie there is a raven named Tinky... and when he is introduced to the raven he says... pleasure Tinky ... and I always thought that was a cute name so I new when I got my kitten I was going to name it Tinky..

Jupiter got his name from my sister... he was her cat at first... she named him from a song she liked called Drops of Jupiter...
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Chewy- Well umm, I;m not really sure why, maybe we should aks the remants of our chair legs, LOL
    Teddy Bear- Cause he looks like a big old bear!
    Huney- Cause she is Huney colored.

Cats
    HOss- Long story....
    Buddy- Cuase on Christmas my brother goes hey little Buddy and it just stuck
    Smokey- Cause she is smoke colored
    Misty- Cause she is all these colors but she has grey all over so her colors are like hard to see
    Wiley- I'm not sure

Fish
    Guy- We just always called him little guy
    Kitty- Caue she is a cat fish
    Spike- Cause he almost broke his bag that he came in cause he is so spiky
    Godzilla- Cause he looks like a monster
    Bella- Cause she is like a grey color and not very pretty so to make her feel better we named Her Bella for Buety

Chameleons
    Peaches- Cuase my sister said we should name her peaches and then she asked her boyfriend what they should name her and he said Peaches

Poison Dart Frogs
    Twitch, Big momma, and that other one- I don't know bout twitch but Big momma cause Females are larger then males

Jilly
    Well I have always loved the name Jillian. So we named her that, but it was to long so we shortned it to Jilly, which she is also called Jilly Bean

Rats
    Melony and Hope- I'm not really sure
    Tundra- Because she looks like our old cat Tundra
    Brook- I named her after my friend

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Before we saw sadie, we had her name narrowed down to Sadie, a name Ralph liked, after a dog that lived next door to him growing up and Panda, cause we knew she was black and white. Sadie just fit her much better.

Cincy is named for Cincinnati, where Ralph and I went to school and met

Dandylion...b/c i thought it was cute and sweet sounding...just like her and I really liked Dandy for short...and being that she is of the feline species...lion fit well too She is just Dandy...I know that sounds corny, but she is

With all the dogs at the humane society, plus all my rescue dogs ... and all my dogs, I've probably named close to a thousand dogs in my life, seriously.

My favorite thing to do with the shelter dog is either pick a letter ... January all animals names start with "A", for example ... or to name a litter of puppies names with a theme. Here are some I can think of offhand ... we had a litter of "soda pop" cocker mixes - Pepsi, Shasta, Dr. Pepper, Sprite, Mt. Dew, Cola. We had a litter of OES mixes called the X-File Dogs - Xena, Xerox, Xuxa, Xerces, etc. We have named litters after flowers - Pansy, Petunia, Daisy, Daffodil, Rose, etc.

After a while you start to run out of names. Right now we are on a "Cities in Wyoming" theme ... Cheyenne, Casper, Lander, Orin, Newcastle, Kaycee, Muddy Gap ... the next two I'm naming Ten Sleep and Meeteetsee.

Now, my own dogs ... most were already named when I got them. I kept their names, even though I hate most of them - Lucky (boring!), Pepper (boring!), Jack (more boring!), Georgie (ridiculous!), and Thunder (that one's ok I suppose, but it doesn't really fit her).

The ones I named:

Queenie - she is an old Australian cattle dog, formerly called the Queensland Heeler. Plus, I thought Queenie sounded like a name an old cowboy would name his old cow dog.

Lacie - it fits her. She's a frou-frou little dog. Plus, I liked a song that was popular when I got her by Lacie J. Dalton.

Keito - my sister and I were eating Taquitos at Jack in the Box when we were naming him, and just decided Taquito was a cool word, Quito was better ... and I just changed the spelling.

Wishbone - my son named him, for obvious reasons, he liked the Wishbone TV show, and our Wishbone is also a Jack Russell terrier.

Vanilla - her name was Priscilla when I got her, and I know a strange, irritating woman name Priscilla, so there was no way I was keeping that name. Vanilla or Chinchilla were the only things we could think of that sounded like Priscilla, and Chinchilla would be kind of goofy for a dog, especially a white dog.

Basil - It kind of followed the spice names ... Pepper, Vanilla, Basil ... plus he's quite the proper English gentleman ... just like Basil Rathbone.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Smokey...I was 2 years old when we got him....I don't even know...I know my mom wanted to name him "Nibs" (after licorice?) but the kids (my sister/bro) wanted SMOKEY! How boring.

Reggie...Reggie...Reggie....I remember we all sat around after we got him, thinking of names. I wanted to name him Lucky (that's why young children should never name the family pet lol) but my brother suggested Reggie. I'm not quite sure where he came up with it, but we all liked it...so we have REGGIE!

Nebo. Well, I was originally going for a black and white female husky, and the name was decided: Koda. Well, I didn't end up with a black and white female husky...I ended up with a red and white male. Hmm. A couple of days before I was cleaning my room and found and old paper. It was names my friend and I had written down to name the litter of puppies her german shepard had. I remember seeing "Nebo" and was like "Huh! I don't remember that....kind of a cool name....." (It is after a gorgeous mountain in Utah...Mt. Nebo...) I don't know, but the name stuck in my head. The next day I had him home my parents went to the store. They had asked me what I named the puppy. I said "Uhh...Nebo...I think..." Well when they came home with a nice new name tag it became official, so it's NEBO!

I'm sure how Corkscrew got his name, the girl that I got him from said that when he was adopted from the humane socitey that was already his name so she kept it. And I really like the name so I kept it too.

Tibby got her name because when I first got her she meowed all night and kept me awake until 6 in the morning. So I thought I'd name her after an opera singer. I wanted to name her after Renata Tebaldi, but Tebaldi just didn't sound right so somehow it ended up becoming Tibby.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Names

Well we have/had...

Nando(a Savannah monitor) whose name is Swahili for Dragon

Moo Shu.. a Chinese water dragon named after the dragon in Disney's Mulan

Rex.. another water dragon named for the T-Rex

Shiv.. named after the Shivan Dragon

Myrtle, Yertle and Cindy Lou named after Dr. Suess Characters all Box turtles.

Draco.. named after both the constellation and the dragon in Dragonheart.. by far Draco is the sweetest snapping turtle ever.

Alice a box turtle named for Alice in Wonderland

Griz... which is short for Grizelda.. which is the name of the witch in Hansel and Gretel.. the name doesn't really fit her calm iguana demeanor but she is blind and we are afraid that she won't recognize us if we change it.

and The Muses.. 8 lucky goldfish that my Hubby couldn't bear to see me feed to the turtles... The muses are of course from Greek mythology.
    Titania

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world."
    --John Muir

Clockwise from top left: Alice, Myrtle, Moo Shu, Griz and Nando

Midnight because he is black with little white hairs(stars)and Reese because she is peanut butter and chocolate colored.

When we went to pick Malone up, we were ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY going to get a female. But somewhere in there, Mark wavered, and we both fell in love with the cutest spunkiest male, so all of our female lists of names went out the window. SO, the whole afternoon, we went down over hundreds of names, and nothing seemed to fit. I was down to the second-to-last name on this one list, and it was "Brigadier". We kind of hooted over it, and Mark said "Private" (as in Private Eye). There was a kind of popular song on the radio ("You'll always be riding with Private Malone"). And since we knew he would always go everywhere with us, it just stuck and was rather fitting. It grew on us, and that's how we got his name. And also, it is in a round-about way, a tribute to the many soldiers who died who gave us our freedom. And I liked that connection as well.