Thread: Egg!?!?!?

Egg!?!?!?

The last couple of days, Rilla has not quite been herself...she has been acting fluffy, sleepy, not very chirpy and I got quite concerned. I wasn't sure if it was anything drastic enough to take her to the vet as she was still eating, and her poops seemed fine. I did get her some birdie antibiotic (over-the-counter and it's not very strong, and some bird experts recommend that you use it on a regular basis, though I don't like to). ANYWAY, last night she seemed to perk up a bit, and this morning, Mark walked over to the cage, and turned to me and said, "Hey, did you put anything strange in the cage??" I said NO, and when I looked there was an EGG in the bottom of her cage!! This is really strange because we have had her for almost 2 years, and she has never laid an egg before. So I am wondering why all of a sudden this happened. I am going to go get some calcium supplements because I know that laying eggs takes a toll on their calcium levels. I wonder if this is going to continue to happen!?! Oh and Rilla is back to her normal chirpy self, and not acting fluffy anymore.

that's so cool
    congrats on hopefully little chicks (if they hatch) i thought sky was laying eggs but she never did. no advice here but i do know that birds lay many eggs ( not one after the other ). well that's what i read. good luck with it keep us updated!

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Wow! She laid an egg!

Our parakeet has been acting weird lately too, especially around my husband and we think he may be a she since the beak has changed from blue as a baby to brown and our bird won't be 2 until this summer. If our bird lays an egg we will know for sure that it is a girl! Also T-bird has been chowing down on his/her cuttlebone, we just got a new one for Christmas, maybe it is the calcium craving! I will also be interested in any replys you get about female parakeets and cockatiels laying eggs when the reach maturity.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

Well, there won't be any chickies, because the eggs aren't fertilized or anything. Rilla is by herself, though we have thought of getting her a birdie friend.

oh, she doesn't have a mate? didn't know maybe she'de like the company *hinthint*

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Anna, your post has brought back some memories of my birds. Both Bonnie and Edge used to lay eggs quite often. I well remember my surprise, and yes, even wonder, when Bonnie first did! Thats when I figured out she was a girl and changed her name from Bono! And again with Edge, but I didn`t bother changing her name. I always knew when Bonnie was planning to, she used to do this sort of mating ritual, can`t explain it but it involve a lot of tail in the air stuff prancing and a noise that would grow in intensity and she would be as if she was in a trance, I used to call her behaviour `egging`, it could get real annoying at times too! Edge was never as bad, though they both used to worry me when they were laying because, Bonnie especially, used to lay a lot of eggs over a short time. I used to get bird type supplements and make sure they had plenty of cuttlefish bone and mineral blocks. And they would fight, or rather whoever laid they eggs would go for the other if they came at all close. I tried to get them nesting stuff but they wouldn`t use it, yes, I know they weren`t fertile but they, Bonnie especially, used to get really upset if I took them out straight away, it was so pitiful, so I used to leave them a day or two, depending on when she would lay another, if any. After Edge died Bonnies laying gradually tapered off until she stopped altogether, though she still would start egging it sometimes, but not for too long.
    As for why Rilla should start laying now I have no answer. I do know that Bonnie was doing the egging thing for a long time before I got Edge and before she layed any eggs, (it was only later I made the connection), she and Edge started around the same time.
    I wonder if Popcornbird has ever had her birds lay eggs, bet we will find out!

CONGRATS, COOKIEBAKER!!!!!!!

MAY THAT EGGY BRING A BUNDLE OF FEATHERY FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TELL RILLA, LEILANI, GIRLIE,AMY, GUINESS AND DOROTHY
    ALL SEND MANY CONGRATS FROM THE FURRY DAUTERIVE FAMILY!!!!
    PROUDLY OWNED BY LONNIE, GIRLIE, AMY, GUINESS, AND LOGAN-BLUE

r.i.p dorothy the mouse

Wow, cool an egg!its good that she was ok and her acting up wasnt bad.Congrats on the hopefully soon to be hatched chick!