Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New dog!!! New dog!!!

New dog!!! New dog!!!

First of all, I'd like to announce my new dog, Porshia!

I just rescued her today! She is about a year old, and she is a red merle Australian Shepherd. The reason we adopted her was because she is to herd our sheep on our farm. I have no idea how to go about training her, does anyone have any advice??

Second: I already have Candy, my nearly 4-year-old mutt. I'm unsure of how to introduce them. Any thoughts? Thanks all for any help!

P.S. I'll have pics ASAP!!
    Last edited by Candy16; 01-04-2003 at 02:13 PM.

Just HOW DO YOU solve a problem like Maria?
    First of all congrats, Aussies are great dogs if given a job to do which you are going to do.

The best way to train her for sheep herding is probably to try to see if there is someone in your area who trains sheep dogs, and if they will train you and the dog to work the sheep properly...that is if she's the type of aussie who will herd, some herding breeds don't have the drive or desire to herd. As for introducing her to Candy the best way would probably be neutral territory like a park or something like that, some place were the dogs won't feel the need to protect the area.

Good luck
    Goonies never say die!

Thanks Amy for the great sig!

congrats on the new dog! i love aussies, they are too cute. is she a mini or standard size? hope to see pics soon. good luck in training her and introducing your two new dogs. no suggestions here

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

TO INTRODUCE THE DOGS IT WOULD PROBALY BE BEST TO LEASH BOTH OF THEM AND LET THEM SNIFF AND GET TO KNOW EACH OTHER, I SAID LEASH THEM BECAUSE IF THEY GROWL YOU CAN EASILY PULL BACK
    PROUDLY OWNED BY LONNIE, GIRLIE, AMY, GUINESS, AND LOGAN-BLUE

r.i.p dorothy the mouse

Congratulations! I love Aussies! There faces are the sweetest things. My pup is half Aussie. Hee hee. I love there smiles. Ok I've gone on long enough

Try going to a search engine and type in Sheep training or something like that. Maybe even call some trainers and ask if they know how to train the dog or if they know of someone who could help you. Good luck! O did I say I just love those Aussie's??? PICS PLEASE!!!!

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Pics!! I got pics!! LoL Sorry for the red eye... her eyes are actually half blue and half brown... I'll have to get some pics without the flash!!

WOW!!! She is Beautiful!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of {{{{HUGS and TREATS!!!!}}}}}}
    The Deli Dog

I want to Honor All of Our Rainbow Bridge Furkids

Porshia is beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing her gorgeous pictures!! Congratulations!

What a gorgeous dog!!!!!!!

She is a beauty! Congratulations on the new addition!

oh, wow. she is really beautiful thanks for the pic

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Wow, she is a beauty! What an adorable face!!

Thanks for the signature & avatar kfamr

She is so beautiful!! Congrats on your new addition
    "Careful what you say, careful what you wish or it may just regret it!"

I LOVE her!! But, I have a softness for Aussies. Thanks for saving her.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Congratulations on rescuing this beauty. I agree that you need someone experienced to train her with your sheep. Have any friends that use dogs? If not, maybe your vet, or a county extention service will know someone. A few dollars invested now - in training both you AND Porshia - will pay off many times fold in the future! And think how much fun you all will have - there's just nothing happier than an Aussie/Border Collie herding sheep for a beloved master!

Some dogs naturally herd, but still need training to obey commands. One of my brother's best friends family had a Border Collie on their far, that was a "natural" - but that also meant he tried to herd their peacocks, chickens, children, and guests at parties! He was a very busy dog, needless to say - neither the peacocks not kids stayed "herded" very long!