Thread: Guess what?

Guess what?

When we move into our new house, we're going to get a bird (or 2). I'm so excited, I think they're so beautiful.

BUT... I'd love some advice. What kind should we get?

I heard that lovebirds bite. Is this true?

I also heard that if you get 2 cockatiels, they bond with each other, and not with you. Is this true?

HELP!

Thanks.
    Tanya, Hans, Fritz & Sparky

I had some of these same questions too! I am planning on getting 2 cockatiels when I get a house. I also heard that they bond to each other instead of you, but I think if you spend time with them, then they will bond to you.

I think Logan has 2 seperate cages for hers to prevent babies but she lets them out to play together. Correct me if I'm wrong Logan!

Popcornbird, Logan, and other birdie moms and dads will have better advice than me.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Hopefully Popcornbird will respond and fill you in on the ins and outs of birds... Frankly, I think you both need two kittens...

My mil has lots and lots of cockatiels and the one she bonded with more is the one that she hand fed as a baby and took care of more than her others and he was in a cage alone..his name was Cheeka Cheeka and he actually could say that and would whistle at women too by the way..No kidding..that whistle ya know when ya see a good looking thing
    well, I dont know much about him but he is adorable and she lets him out of his cage in the house..he is just so cute..he likes rings too, he will peck on mine like he wants the rock out of my wedding band..such a cutie! Have fun with your bird or birds!

Wife to Steve and Mother to:
    Samuel Thomas 8/31/96 Amber Nicole 3/9/98
    Elizabeth Rose 12/14/99 Shalee Robyn 6/24/92
    Rocky 6/02
    Fluffy 11/02

Lovebirds are beautiful birds (I had a pair a couple of years back)...but keep in mind that they are a LOT noisier and messier than cockatiels or parakeets. My Dad had finally gotten sick of the constant noise, and made the executive decision that they had to go. If you get two lovebirds, it is nearly impossible to tame them. However, if you get a single, they will bond to YOU the way they would bond to another lovebird. Also, if you get them as a single, be prepared to give him the attention that they are going to crave/deserve. They DO NOT do well as a single and left alone for large amounts of time.

As far as cockatiels go, they are much easier to tame kept in pairs than lovebirds. But again, if you don't spend time with them, then they will prefer to bond to each other, and not so much to you. But if you get hand-fed babies, and keep up with the socialization you should be just fine.

Hope this helps a little, and Best of luck to you in your search for feather-friends!!!