Page 38 of 82 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Pets are Up

Quote Originally Posted by tatsxxx11 View Post
    And well worth the wait! Happy New Year Karen, and everyone!!!
    Thanks, Sandra - and Happy New Year - and good pickled herring - to you, too! That was always a tradition growing up - open and share the little jar - on ryekrisp - of my grandfather's special pickled herring recipe. One of Dad;s regrets in life was not getting that recipe from him before Grandpa died.

(Now I am allergic to fish and couldn't have any anyway, but I can still think of it wistfully!
    I've Been Frosted

Today's Cat, Dog and Pet of the ay are up!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Thanks, Sandra - and Happy New Year - and good pickled herring - to you, too! That was always a tradition growing up - open and share the little jar - on ryekrisp - of my grandfather's special pickled herring recipe. One of Dad;s regrets in life was not getting that recipe from him before Grandpa died.

(Now I am allergic to fish and couldn't have any anyway, but I can still think of it wistfully!
    The sursild (pickled herring) along with the gravadlax (cured salmon with mustard/dill sauce) were/are my favorites on the julbord! I remember, as a child, going with my father to the (then) predominantly Scandinavian immigrant NYC neighborhood where we once lived, where I was born, Bay Bridge, Brooklyn, to shop at the local butcher, baker, fishmonger, grocery store for the traditional Christmas foods, supplies. The whole herrings were stored in a big, wooden barrel at the back of the store. Back then you had to fillet them yourself. Now you can buy them online, all cleaned and filleted, ready to prepare. Sadly, most Scandinavians have left Bay Ridge so much of the shopping is done online now, not to mention having to make so many of the dishes myself. A lot of work, considering my parents and only sibling are no longer with us, all my remaining family back in Norway and Sweden, the only guests being just Junji and myself. Still, just can't let go of the traditions.

That's too bad, you being allergic to all fish, not just the common allergen, shellfish! Should you ever have need, I have several excellent pickled herring recipes, really very simple with only slight variations: White vinegar, water, sugar, whole black peppercorns, whole allspice and mustard seed boiled then cooled. Throw in the sliced pieces of herring and top with thinly sliced red onion and tons of fresh dill. 2 days in the frig and voila! Now, why am I writing this at 6 a.m.?

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

The sursild (pickled herring) along with the gravadlax (cured salmon with mustard/dill sauce) were/are my favorites on the julbord! I remember, as a child, going with my father to the (then) predominantly Scandinavian immigrant NYC neighborhood where we once lived, where I was born, Bay Bridge, Brooklyn, to shop at the local butcher, baker, fishmonger, grocery store for the traditional Christmas foods, supplies. The whole herrings were stored in a big, wooden barrel at the back of the store. Back then you had to fillet them yourself. Now you can buy them online, all cleaned and filleted, ready to prepare. Sadly, most Scandinavians have left Bay Ridge so much of the shopping is done online now, not to mention having to make so many of the dishes myself. A lot of work, considering my parents and only sibling are no longer with us, all my remaining family back in Norway and Sweden, the only guests being just Junji and myself. Still, just can't let go of the traditions.

That's too bad, you being allergic to all fish, not just the common allergen, shellfish! Should you ever have need, I have several excellent pickled herring recipes, really very simple with only slight variations: White vinegar, water, sugar, whole black peppercorns, whole allspice and mustard seed boiled then cooled. Throw in the sliced pieces of herring and top with thinly sliced red onion and tons of fresh dill. 2 days in the frig and voila! Now, why am I writing this at 6 a.m.?
    Toooooo yummy and too tempting but I have no herring access anyway!

Folks so sorry, I will not be able to update the pets today, but will do so tomorrow.Life has been so busy!
    I've Been Frosted

So sorry folks that I have not been able to get the pets posted today! I will do so, I promise. Life has been just crazy today, no surcease now that it is January as one had (faintly) hoped.
    I've Been Frosted

Today's Pet, Dog and Cat of the Day are finally up. Sigh.
    I've Been Frosted

So sorry everyone. I have had such a busy few days, but will get new Dog, Cat and Pet honorees up today.
    I've Been Frosted

Today's Dog, Cat and Pet fof the Day are up, sunshine is pouring down!
    I've Been Frosted

Sigh, today's Dog, Cat and Pet are now up!
    I've Been Frosted

So sorry folks, I will post the pets late tonight for tomorrow, time to hit reset again they have been so late getting up. Life has been so busy, I am still working on getting my Christmas cards done and out, and have other work to do.

Please stay safe everyone, wear masks when out and about, wash hands frequently and eat your veggies!
    I've Been Frosted

Sp sprry everyone! Today was neverebnding errands, that all took longer than they should have. Sigh, Will update the pets tomorrow.

Like truly is what happens while we are making other plans.
    I've Been Frosted

Today's Pet, Dog and Cat of the Day are up, at last. The sun isn;t even up here, but the sites are.
    I've Been Frosted

Today's DOTD, Rosey, has Sacha's (the previous DOTD) bio.

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Today's DOTD, Rosey, has Sacha's (the previous DOTD) bio.
    Whoops, all fixed - thanks for letting me know!
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks Karen!