Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: has your cat ever caught a "real" mouse?

has your cat ever caught a "real" mouse?

Just wondering...last night hubby and I were sitting in the garage while he was having a smoke and we saw a mouse(including Rocky) I think it was the first time he ever saw one, I have never seen him act the way he did...his tail got all puffy, and started shaking practically and he got in attack mode and went after it...that little mouse was way too fast but man...I could have sworn he was gonna get him...after that though he kept begging and begging to go out in that garage but we won't let him out there without my or Steve's presence so..anyway...just wondering...has your cat ever caught one?

Wife to Steve and Mother to:
    Samuel Thomas 8/31/96 Amber Nicole 3/9/98
    Elizabeth Rose 12/14/99 Shalee Robyn 6/24/92
    Rocky 6/02
    Fluffy 11/02

Yes - Bo has! I used to live in the country with a couple acres, and Bo was allowed outside. I remember his first mouse - he was playing with it, and in his excitement, it got away.

Then there was another time (same house) I knew there was a mouse in the kitchen cabinets. In my junk drawer I found chewed up napkins and photos, and a few mouse droppings. All four cats would sit and stare at the cabinets, but they couldn't get at the mice. Finally, I used my head and opened all the cabinet doors and drawers before I went to bed one night. The next morning, there was a dead mouse on the floor.

We plugged up the opening (the vent from our stove that was built in to the island thing) and no more mice in there.

Our cat Dudley is too dumb. He "stalks" the rats in the cage, but they lunge at the bars and he runs away. He'll also watch the squirrels in the backyard, he goes nuts over them. One time he was laying in the grass and had a vole walk 1 foot in front of his face- he never saw it . Our old cat used to catch things a lot- cicadas, baby rabbits, etc. I will leave that up to my mom to tell you, since I was little when she did all of that.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Never a mouse but Max is terrible for going to the pond next door and getting the poor frogs. I have had to rescue a few and put them back over the fence, hoping that he hasn't injured it to badly.

ha ha thats funny!

My cats to whimpy to catch a mouse!!! She's a small russian blue , she'd probaly run if she saw one!
    I Cheer
    I Bump, Set, & Spike
    I Freethrow

GO FIGHT WIN!

or in the words of Cataholic:
    Go, Fight, Win the Lottery!

Sincerly signed a very Spirited Cheerleader!

Sometimes, I allow the cats access to the fenced in back yard. I sit out there with them. One day, I noticed Dakota acting a little too interested in what appeared to be the grass. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that he had captured a small little snake. UGH! As much as I dislike snakes, I couldn't let this little baby snake get harmed. I was forced to get Dakky to release it, and finally he did. UGH!!! How gross. The thing slithered away, and so did my feelings of nausea.

I had a cat that caught a mouse. It wasn't one of the cats I have now. This was 20 years ago. When I came home from work, there was a mouse just inside the door. It wasn't a grey mouse either. but brown and white. A day or two later, one of my cats caught a grey mouse.

That was the first and last time for me.

My cats have never caught a mouse since their indoor only cats. My parents cat used to be quite the mouser and bird catcher. A few times when I'd be taking care of her there would be a decapitated small rat in the house that I would then have to clean up. I also found many bird feathers but no bird. She passed away a few years ago.

When I was a child we had a pet gray tabby named Sylvester. We lived at the edge of a farming area. One day about harvest time, Mom was impressed to find Sylvester playing with one mouse with one paw. With each of his other three paws he had a mouse trapped. I think that was probably a record for mousing...

(Now if Cassy or Livvy ever caught one, I think I would freak out completely!!!)
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

The Beans say...

The Meezer Beans are NOT Mousers. WE are "Informers". WE will "Inform" Mommy & Daddy of the presence of some tiny furry intruder....However it is up to Mommy & Daddy to remove the offending freeloader.... Well, it's up to Daddy because Mommy will scream at 180db if the mices come in from outside!

We have a friend named Salem who is a GREAT mouser, however her Mommy doesn't think it's so great as she likes to bring the live ones inside and THROW them at her Mommy to play with her....

No mices from my cats, but a while ago Corkscrew caught a small lizard.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Our RB Meezer Kisi - used to bring dead mice in as pressies for us! Charming! Sometimes she ate the mouse and present us with the head! SORRY IF YOU'RE EATING AT THE KEYBOARD!

Of the three musketeers Bagel is definately a hunter - but brings her trophies in alive! Can't be doing with mice, so I always need help to get 'em outta the door!

I know I've mentioned before she brings frogs in - ALIVE. These come from our friends across the road who have a garden pond! Luckily they don't freak me out, so I pick them up (she never hurts them!) and take them back to be returned to their pond - in Spring it can become VERY boring - back and forwards returning froggies home!

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx

Filou had the chance to stay with his cat mother until he was 15 weeks old. And one day she brought him a mouse for him to catch. (They were living inside a big old farmhouse where there were mice in the attic). He is reported coming down from the attic as proud as can be, little tail up with the mouse in his little mouth Must have been a big moment in his life.

We have no mice here and we have thought sometimes (politically very uncorrect) to buy them some . But we could never do that as we love mice and other small animals just as much

No mice here, but as in Russian we call the bats - flying mice, I can say Juni cought two. She ate the fisrt one, eeeeekkkgghhhhhhh We released the second one (as Barbara said, we love all kinds of animals. OK OK, bats not too much, at least we have mercy).
    Last year I visited a former boyfriend in Germany. He had a kitty, he rescued when coming back home from a date with me (from Romania to Germany through Hungary where he found Mitzy). I love this Mitzy - she has the most beautiful paws I've ever seen. Of course, I showed her how much I love her and she showed me her feelings too - she kept bringing me gifts every morning - dead mice. After I left, she stopped bringing mice too. I bet my friend was relieved (not that I left, we were and still are friends).

I have several former ferals that are good mousers, and believe it or not, my CH kitty Diva has caught a couple. Mittens, a former foster, was an awesome mouser, with those catcher's mitts of hers.

The best mouse story from my place comes from last winter. Six of my cats had this poor mouse surrounded in my front hall. Nobody would go after him so he got away! Later I saw 4 cats staring under the fridge in the kitchen. The next morning I found a poor little dead mouse in the kitchen. When will they learn that this place is feline central??