Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New cat

Up again at 4am.

I don't think she is scared. Just destructive. Every thing that can be knocked over is knocked over.

I didn't buy the squirt gun.

I can pick her up and hold her. She likes the belly rub. I thought cats don't like their stomach touched. If I touch her back legs she attempts to bite.

Her biting is a playful bite. Except for the back leg touch. She means business then.

I have no rooms 1 bedroom, very large living room I call the Dance Hall, small kitchen and a bath.

To be honest I have always had dogs since birth. I stopped having pets years ago because I am old and a pet would probably out live me. I have had three heart attacks and 7 heart related surgeries. Last heart attack was 11 years ago. On my second pacemaker/defibrillator.

That's why I enjoy coming to this siye. I enjoy reading the stories of other people pets.

I enjoy the stories children write. They express joy so much better than adults. But, I enjoy them all.

I don't post much. As you can see I ramble on and on.

Back to the cat. I don't see fear in the cat. She's out in the Dance Hall now waiting for me to unlock the door. I booted her because she was eyeballing the fan. She must have the feeling I am talking about her, she just started meowing at the door. I'll let her in.

Not used to a cat. Someone to talk to. Like I said in my other posts. I need training more than the cat.

Tonight I may wear socks to bed. But, afraid she might find something else moving.

Another problem is that my landlord doesn't know I have the cat. He is Arab from Yemen. They don't like indoor pets.

They have (I say they because it's a family affair) been very good to me. They own 7 corner stores and 10 two family homes. I am the only nonArab person they rent to.

If I need money they loan it to me. Any amount. I don't take advantage of that often. If I need a ride someplace they take me.

Oh, my my rent is very low.

Sorry I rambled on. Got up early.

Thank you,

-Jim-

Thanks for your long response, Jim. Your apartment sounds like mine; just a bedroom and a living room. No separate room to be hers. Is the kitchen a separate room? (Mine is just an alcove off the living room.) If it is, maybe that could become "her" room.

It sounds like she is friendly in many ways, letting you pick her up and hold her and rub her tummy. If she mostly play-bites and doesn't hurt you, then calmly move your arm or leg or whatever away from her mouth. For some reason she seems to feel quite vulnerable around her hind legs. You need to be as careful as you can not to touch her there, if doing that gets her to bite you hard, especially while you and she are just getting to know each other.

Sounds like a good idea to wear thick socks to bed if she has bitten your toes while you're sleeping!

Does she let you pet her, maybe along her sides and down her back? Does she let you touch her around her head? Many cats enjoy finger-pets around their heads, gentle skritches under the chin and along the jaw and at the base of the ears. The more "nice" things she comes to associate with you, the better!

What do you think your landlord might do if he finds out about her (and I would guess that will happen, sooner or later, depending on things like if some work needs to be done in your apartment)? Do you think he'd be okay if you offered to pay a "pet rent" surcharge? In my apartment complex there is a rent surcharge of $30 per pet, and up to two per apartment are allowed. And of course, keep things as clean as you can, so if (when?) the landlord discovers her, he'll see that she isn't making his property dirty or smelly.

Again, thank you and bless you for rescuing Kitty Face! Keep up the good work, both of you! We're sending all our loving best wishes and warm energies along that things go well.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and from Pat and Sparkler
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Does she let you pet her, maybe along her sides and down her back? Does she let you touch her around her head? Many cats enjoy finger-pets around their heads, gentle skritches under the chin and along the jaw and at the base of the ears. The more "nice" things she comes to associate with you, the better!
    I can pet and scratch her all over the place except the back feet. She like between the ears and just behind the tail on her back. And the tummy rub.

Today I'm walking though the dance hall. She comes running high speed from behind and jumps on my lower leg with a bear hug all four legs. Claws extended. I laughed.

Overall she is a great cat. I was considering changing her name to " homewrecker"

I can tell when she wants to knock something over. She stares at it a bit, then head butts it.

There is a warning sign when she going to bite. Everything is going fine and all of a sudden you see the last half of her tail wagging. At that point everything stops. Can't pick her up or anyhing.

Sounds like you both are doing a great job getting acquainted with each other!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Found the cat sleeping on my dresser in the dance hall. She was sound asleep. I bit her foot.

And what did she think of that?
    Death thought about it.

Actually I bit the leg. Knowing where that foot has been (cat box) I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Had no impact. She attempted to bite me three times.

No pants on and she came running from behind put my leg in a bear hug and bit my calf. I laughed and shook her off.

She has only broke skin once.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Gleason View Post
    Actually I bit the leg. Knowing where that foot has been (cat box) I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Had no impact. She attempted to bite me three times.

No pants on and she came running from behind put my leg in a bear hug and bit my calf. I laughed and shook her off.

She has only broke skin once.
    Definitely time for pounce-able toys - I bet she could learn to play fetch!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Definitely time for pounce-able toys - I bet she could learn to play fetch!
    I'm looking at this big fish that flops. Has a motion detector. If the cat walks by it flops.

Problem is that I don't know if she would like it or how long it would last.

She likes the carrot. Only lasts 4 days. All the other toys she ignores. I throw one across the room. She runs to it then walks away. The mouse on the string she likes but only if I am dangling above her. She gets it and drops it and walks away.

The flopping fish I think she would enjoy because it would start flopping when she gets near it.

https://www.flippityfish.com/?mid=11467371&gclid=CjwKCAjw97P5BRBQEiwAGflV6atzm7 K8P58vXAuAKf7dn1Fv0d3zOjpI8TdRIVPiDTxA1I9i0CmcSBoC WT0QAvD_BwE

The carrots sound like a good idea!
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    The carrots sound like a good idea!
    She loves the carrot. Stores are sold out. They are 3.50 each. I was buying two a week.

The flopping fish is 20 bucks. When you buy 1 you get 1 free. Which tells me they don't last long.

Plud, I am one that believes, if you can't buy it at Walmarts it's not worth buying.

But, I think I will try it anyways. Have to wait till the beginning of the month.

I found the carrot. She's out tumbling with it right now.

As soon as she saw it, she went after it.

A carrot is a strange cat toy. Who would have thought of a carrot.

Thank you for all the replies.

-Jim-

What fun! That's wonderful!

Death thought about it.

I'm back!!!

The cat has become dangerous.

Had the cat for three months. Overall she has been a fun cat. A little destructive and bites when she wants attention.

However, lately (last three days) she is in attack mode. Can't get near her. I pet her and she seems to like it. Then all of a sudden wham she bites.

Also noticed she is whipping her tail all the time. A show of anger.

Plus she hasn't destroyed the carrot. Usually last 4 days at the most. Almost untouched.

I am wondering if she is sick. She is eating normal and cat box activity seems normal.

15. My dads cat is like that. i learned to pay attention to his body lingo. if he pins his ears back with a few swishes of his tail its time to stop petting him an leave him alone unless you want your arm/hand getting turned into menace meat next.