Thread: Doggie DNA?

Doggie DNA?

Has anyone done a doggie DNA test on their pets?

We did and the results were interesting and kinda puzzling!

Yep! We did one on Jasper when he was alive and found pretty much what I expected. I always thought he was dachshund and jack russell mixed with something large, and his results showed one parent was dachshund/JRT and the other was a golden retriever mix.

When I adopted Bedlam I used a DNA test to confirm that she was a Bedlington terrier and then sent out a separate DNA test to UC Davis to test for the liver disease that affects her breed (she doesn't have it!).

My best friend's dog came back with a fair percentage of Shar Pei, which she thought was absurd at first as the dog doesn't look at all Shar Pei...but then the health problems started setting in. She has massive skin issues, much like a shar pei....allergy testing has revealed that she is even allergic to human dander.

Richard. what were your dog's results?

Our current two canines are Dusky - most assuredly NOT the spaniel, shepherd mix we were told he was. He is absolutely half Border Collie, and the other half likely Chesapeake Bay and or Golden Retriever.

Lulu we were told is an Australian Cattledog (Blue heeler) mix, and within moments of her being home, decided her other half is Pointer!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Richard. what were your dog's results?

Our current two canines are Dusky - most assuredly NOT the spaniel, shepherd mix we were told he was. He is absolutely half Border Collie, and the other half likely Chesapeake Bay and or Golden Retriever.

Lulu we were told is an Australian Cattledog (Blue heeler) mix, and within moments of her being home, decided her other half is Pointer!
    I don't have them handy, but they WERE not what I was expecting?

Give me a day or two to get the papers and work on some photos, We laughed when we got them because I thought they had none of the physical characteristics listed in the sheet.

5. I heard they arent reliable