Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foster puppies!

Foster puppies!

I have been going stir-crazy at home in quarantine, so I asked the people I used to work with at the shelter to find me a foster dog who would keep me busy and keep my mind off of things. BOY did they come through. Meet Fomite and Vector, my new quarantine buddies.

Mama dog is a tiny chi/dachshund looking mix who gave birth in the shelter. She is too feral for any of their foster homes to take in and WAY too stressed to be in a shelter, so she's not doing very well and she refused to care for her puppies. Three of them passed away, but these two are fighting strong despite having some nasty diarrhea right now. They were born 3/18, so they aren't even a week old yet. Both girls, both nice and plump despite mama not wanting to care for them. We're struggling with feeding right now but I'm stubborn and so are they.

(Vector on top, Fomite beneath her)

How sweet of you to do this!
    Those babies are precious, and I'm sure your stubbornness will win, and they will start eating. You won't get any sleep, but hey, it's worth it.
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

How beautiful they are, and how wonderful that you are doing this! I'm sure you will win, and they will start eating and grow into beautiful young pups.

Bless you all, and thank you, snakemama!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Day 2: Fomite lost some weight overnight which is scary, but she is fighting and gained a little between her morning and afternoon feeds. I got a recipe for electrolyte water from the shelter and made up her formula with that, so hopefully that will keep her energy and hydration up!

Here's Fomite: You can see that she's a little bony here, I was already supporting her with subcutaneous fluids so fingers crossed that adding in oral electrolytes will help. Her formula also has probiotics in it.

Vector is fat and sassy and slowly gaining weight. She hasn't pooped in three feedings, so I'm hopeful that her diarrhea has completely resolved and she's working up to a nice normal poop.

Their mama is a dachshund mix and these two are going to have loooong dachshund noses!

Such adorable babes and what wonderful photos! Again, blessings and thanks to all.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    Day 2: Fomite lost some weight overnight which is scary, but she is fighting and gained a little between her morning and afternoon feeds. I got a recipe for electrolyte water from the shelter and made up her formula with that, so hopefully that will keep her energy and hydration up!

Here's Fomite: You can see that she's a little bony here, I was already supporting her with subcutaneous fluids so fingers crossed that adding in oral electrolytes will help. Her formula also has probiotics in it.

Vector is fat and sassy and slowly gaining weight. She hasn't pooped in three feedings, so I'm hopeful that her diarrhea has completely resolved and she's working up to a nice normal poop.

Their mama is a dachshund mix and these two are going to have loooong dachshund noses!

You’re Saving Lives. Really appreciated. Godbless your family!

They are adorable - and keeping you occupied, both great things. Poor Mama dog, do you know what will happen to her?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    They are adorable - and keeping you occupied, both great things. Poor Mama dog, do you know what will happen to her?
    I talked to the shelter staff about mama dog today, she has reached a point where she can be touched but she is *so* shut down and depressed. They are trying her with a confident companion dog today to see if that helps. If it doesm I have offered to take her home with me as my dog is a confident, cheerful girl. The behaviorists there seemed optimistic that they will be able to place her eventually, it's just going to be a long road and she will need a very special kind of home.

Fomite lost her battle last night, but I think she must have given her strength to her sister because Vector has gained half an ounce today and has figured out how to latch and swallow correctly, which she wasn't doing yesterday. Feeding time has gone from 20 minutes per puppy to under 2 minutes, though I worry about Vector being all alone, another reason to try and get mama dog over here. My dog is pretty afraid of her right now, which is making me smile because Vector weighs just over half a pound and isn't exactly threatening.

Nose - very boopable.

Blog Entries
    So sorry you lost one babe, you are doing beautifully and I just hope you aren't too sad! You're the best!

I'm so sorry you lost your dear Fomite. Deepest sympathy to you and Vector and all your family.

We're sending our loving good wishes that Vector and you and everyone stay strong and healthy.

Pat and Sparkler and Galaxy
    Death thought about it.

She's getting big!

She gave me a scare last night where I thought I was going to lose her. Thankfully she is much better today and even tried to bite me when I poked her to give her fluids! Looks like her eyes will open very soon!

AWWWwwwwwww, what a cutie! I'm so glad and grateful that she got over her bad patch and is doing so much better today. She's getting bigger and will soon open her eyes! She is absolutely precious. How wonderful, bless you, snakemama, taking such good, loving care of her!

Death thought about it.

15. Good on you for doing this!
    so cute!

sorry to hear of the loss of the one an hope Vector pulls on through.

hows the mom dog doing?