Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Presenting the newest member of the family: Pimenta

Presenting the newest member of the family: Pimenta

I disappeard from this site. My life underwent some big changes, positive changes, and it took time to sort it all out. Now I'm back to share one of the changes, Pantera's newest friend/ apprentice.

Her name is Pimenta. She comes from a small feral colony behind a local school. We took her home on Christmas day ( this is Rio de Janeiro, it was 38C/ 100.4 F on dec. 25th). A few days after that, she had her first exam at the vet, where it was determined that she was approximately 16-18 weeks of age at the time, and apart from worms was otherwise healthy. Aside from being the only kitten we saw at the feral colony, she had absolutely no fear of humans. She came straight up to us asking for food and attention.

Of course, Pantera was not thrilled. At all. She had finally outgrown her worst drama queen tendencies, and grown into a generally laid back young adult (although she still played as much as before, and her greater strength left me with more visible scars). Then Pimenta appeared, and the drama queen came back

Since then, Pantera has used Pimenta as her personal punching bag, and bullies the kitten constantly. This isn't aggression, though: Pantera had plenty of opportunities for aggresson, but initially acted out of jealousy (lots of scandalous noise, but no actual attacks). Even now she takes her rough playing style to Pimenta, who was afraid of the initimidating predator. As time went on, however, we saw that pantera has been teaching litle Pimenta the basics. How to fight, how to hunt, etc. We've watched as Pantera catches insects, and passes them to Pimenta and watches the little one play. Once she caught a moth with a 5 inch wingspan (); after ripping one wing off, the two took turns tormenting the moth over the course of a few hours. We've seen on other occasions that Pimenta watches Pantera intently, and later imitates her.

One result of Pantera's "tough love" style of teaching is that since her arrival Pimenta has been gaining almost a pound a month, all of it hard muscle. She's still a skinny, lanky kitty, but now upon picking her up you can feel that she's got some meat on her bones. And she's learning to fight back against Pantera (which Pantera loves; she adores prey that fights back ). It helps that she's already demonstrated impressive agility for such a young kitten

Taken right after arrival, estimated age 16-18 weeks

Pimenta after roughly two months here

It's clear Pimenta is settling in: she's getting a lot more confident (learning Pantera's bad habits? )

Thank you for giving Pimenta a forever home. She is a beauty for sure, and she looks so comfortable in her new surroundings.
    I'm glad that Pantera has sorted things out with her new little sister and that she is teaching her to be a grown-up.
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

Welcome HOME, Pimenta! You're a beauty, all right!

Thank you, Lucho, for bringing her into your family! And thank you for the gorgeous photos.

Last edited by phesina; 03-18-2020 at 09:12 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Welcome Pimenta! You are beautiful!

Hello and welcome, Pimenta, adorable kitty girl!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Wow, Pimenta is beautiful! How lucky she is to have moved in with you and Pantera. Thank you for taking her in. I can see she has put on some weight since you got her, it suits her.

It’s great she has Pantera to teach her about growing up, sounds like the have accepted each other already. They will have lots of fun going hunting for bugs together, and you will have some good laughs watching them.

Have fun! We look forward to see more pictures and hear what they are up to.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

What a lovely kitty, such striking markings! <3

Thanks everybody for the comments

So an important day in Pimenta's life is arriving: she did the exams at the vet yesterday and this friday, barring any surprises in the exam results (extremely unlikely), Pimenta will be spayed. She is now approx. seven months of age, and we wish to avoid waiting too long as we did with Pantera (seven months is a bit late as it is). Given her general health, she should go through this phase with little difficulty.

Oh, that's great news! You will be a WOMAN, Pimenta!

Thank you for the gorgeous photos!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Ok, the surgery ended up on Sunday instead of on Friday. Pimenta underwent the procedure without problem. But on the seventh day (right before she was scheduled remove the stitches) she decided to escape the surgical clothes and pass five hours jumping and running and wrestling with Pantera. The result is a buildup of fluid around the stitches. Basically harmless, but now Pimenta must wait to remove the stitches (as a precaution, not because of a real medical issue)..

Typical behaviour of a teenager- she couldn't wait one more day so now she must wait another week

Photo taken today- Pimenta is growing, but still has that kitten face

Oh Pimenta, you were so close! Now you have to wait another week for those stitches to be removed. Those days will fly by fast, you are a kitten after all and always busy.
    Take care, beautiful girl!
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

Pimenta is adorable, thanks for giving her a home.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Pimenta is gorgeous! Reminds me of Sprinkles that I had when I was a kid.

What a sweetie! That new photo is gorgeous. And what a mischievous sweetie, too. Pimenta, you need to take it easy for the next week!

Lucho, can you keep her in a room away from Pantera for the time she has to wait, so she won't be tempted to go running wild again?

We're sending loving good wishes and hopes and prayers that all goes well!

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and from Pat and Galaxy and Sparkler
    Death thought about it.

@Phesina: Interestingly, it wasn't Pantera's fault: She seemed to recognize the stitiches, and kept her distance. But Pimenta can't sit still for five seconds, and soon began to provoke her larger sister Who, after having had enough nonsense, responded in kind

Anyhoo, Pimenta ended up with the stitches for double the usual time, but they've come out and her case is officially closed. She never had any complications, but is more reckless than even I am

now at eight months old (give or take a couple of weeks) Pimenta continues to grow. But instead of getting bigger she's getting longer; if she ever fills out like Pantera did, she's going to be enormous