Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Observations

Covid-19 Observations

How are you preparing? Are you panicked? Worried? Nonchalant?

I was at the grocery store late last night - I bet most of the people who bought all the turnips and parsnips won't even eat them, but many of the bins were empty in the produce department.

And there was no oregano on the shelves, though most other spices were in stock!

Your observations?
    I've Been Frosted

Items not available anymore:
    toilet paper, hand sanitizer and anything that's supposed to kill viruses, bottled water, some canned goods.
    Pet food shelves are still fully stocked. That, to me, is weird.
    I am not worried about getting sick, but about having to stay at home from work without pay.
    Our schools are closed beginning Monday.
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

I think I have everything we need, to hold us for a little while anyway.

This is all so weird and scary.

I'm fighting off a cold, I assume (hope) just the usual seasonal cold!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Not too bad, so far!

Karen, Living in a nursing home, it hasn't been so bad. However, they're adding on more restrictions such as no visitors are allowed at all, and starting Monday we are going to eat our meals in shifts. Beyond that, I'm not sure, but I'm sure it's necessary. But I think there's too much hysteria connected to this virus, too.

I’m not panicking, but worried. Covid-19 is spreading very quickly in Europe now. Italy has it worst, but other countries are close behind. Spain France and Germany are also hit hard. You can see the numbers here - scroll down:
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

The measures our Government has taken on March 11th are extensive, there are press briefings every day from our Prime Minister on TV. In the evening of March 11, some people went crazy and emptied the shelves for canned food and toilet paper etc. in the supermarkets. The next day, I needed potatoes and sugar - all gone! Then Saturday, the borders were closed. Our Queen has also cancelled the celebration of her 80th Birthday in April.

Pupils and students at all educational institutions are sent home

All indoor cultural institutions, libraries, leisure facilities, etc. closes

All public servants who do not perform critical functions are sent home

Limited use of public transport

Restrictions on nursing home and hospital visits

Prohibition of gathering more than 100 people indoors

March 15th, the below has been put in place - not sure I agree with it, but apparently, a lot of new cases are expected.

“This week the health authorities' containment strategy has been replaced by a mitigation strategy. It means that the Danish Patient Safety Agency no longer detects and quarantines people who have been in contact with infected persons.”

People who are sent home from work will get compensation:

“The government is ready with an aid package for companies and employees. The aid package proposes that companies can receive salary compensation for up to 75 per cent. of employees' salaries - however, with a salary cap of DKK 23,000. Danish companies that are faced with firing at least 30%. or more than 50 employees may apply for salary compensation in order to retain employees. Hourly employees can receive pay compensation of up to 90 per cent. of the salary, but a maximum of DKK 26,000. The temporary compensation scheme will apply from March 9 to June 9, 2020.

For hourly workers: The salary compensation amounts to 90%, but a maximum of DKK 26,000 per month.

The employee does not have to be a full-time employee to receive compensation.”

Stay safe, everyone!

Last edited by Randi; 03-17-2020 at 11:20 AM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Well both my church service - which generally has less than 30 people at it - little country church - was cancelled today, and this evening the Ceramics Open Studio was cancelled.

Stay safe everyone!

As you may know, I now live in rural Vermont, small towns in the mountains. I was at the supermarket today, and the store was very busy, packed with many people from Connecticut and New York and Massachusetts, buying everything that was not nailed down pretty much.

We have bleach wipes in the car, and everywhere else, trying to stay as safe as possible when we go out.
    I've Been Frosted

I live in a care center and all food and supplies are provided.

Residents can't leave and visitors can't come in.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

I live in an Independent Living Facility with 225 residents. Our central dining room has been closed. I always eat at home for breakfast. For lunch Sunday we could choose from three specials, then pick it up at the kitchen to take home to eat, or have it delivered to our apartment. Had a nice turkey dinner today. Turned in my order for tomorrow's lunch. so far so good.

Monday morning learned that dining room will be closed for 30 days

Tuesday, management is now delivering all meals.
    Last edited by Freckles; 03-18-2020 at 07:26 AM. Reason: additional info

Crazy crazy day today, schools here will be closing, one lady had to Express Mail a key fob to Philadelphia because her office building will be closing and very few people have that fob and access.
    I've Been Frosted

We offered our clients to stay in the car while attending to their pets' needs.
    So far, nobody has taken us up on it.
    After each client, we wipe down the benches and door handles in the exam rooms. We also disinfect around each other, all the counters, computers, keyboards etc.
    There's talk about suspending all elective surgeries, like spays and neuters, to preserve supplies that could potentially be needed for hospitalized people.
    It is all so surreal, and I hope for all of us that we will come out of this ok.
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

Starting Wednesday, where I live, residents will eat meals in their rooms.
    Last edited by Felicia's Mom; 03-17-2020 at 08:02 PM.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Yes, I just talked to Aunt Lyn, Paul's aunt technically, but she was widowed a little over a year ago, but she is in an assisted living facility, and now they are only allowed to eat their meals in their rooms. But she is wearing her shamrock socks, so celebrating St. Patrick's Day at least a little.
    I've Been Frosted

The number of Covid-19 cases confirmed is 200,000
    So right now, there are more than 200,000 people globally who have been tested positive for coronavirus. Just over 8,000 have lost their lives.

The situation in Denmark is that we have just over 1,000 confirmed cases of infection - four people have died.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Prohibition has come into force. At 10am today (March 18), more than ten people have been banned from gathering in public. This applies both indoors and outdoors. The government also calls for the same to happen in private homes. The prohibition does not apply when more than ten people are present in, for example, a shop, a supermarket or a train station. Public transportation and workplaces are also exempt from the ban. Restaurants, cafés, taverns, nightclubs, hairdressers and malls will be closed until March 30. In addition, all indoor sports and sports facilities must close. Grocery stores and pharmacies are not among the stores ordered temporarily closed, the prime minister said.

Crisis talk from the Queen. In a very unusual speech to the nation on Tuesday night, Queen Margrethe made an appeal to all Danes to think about and do their part to prevent the coronavirus from spreading unnecessarily. “Coronavirus is a dangerous guest. It spreads like rings in the water and it goes strong. A person can infect many, "she said. She called it" thoughtless "and" reckless "if you do not follow the advice of the authorities and, for example, still hold birthdays and gatherings." You can not know that, "she said. The queen also sent a thank you to the authorities and the health service and sent thoughts to the sick and relatives.

Dentists close for non-critical treatments. All the country's dentists will close for all non-critical treatments in the next three months. This is based on a new instruction from the National Board of Health.

Coughing Danes must test themselves. The Danish Serum Institute is working to create a more comprehensive picture of the degree of infection among Danes, who contact their doctor, but who are not considered to need help. From next week, selected doctors will probably be given the opportunity to test sick Danes with respiratory tract infections that do not require hospitalization. A relative can go down and get a test kit from the doctor, and the sick person can test himself.

Gender distribution of infected Danes: Men 65.5 percent, women 34.5 percent. So two out of three infected are men. Chinese research also shows that coronavirus strikes men harder than women.

Age distribution of infected Danes: 44.3 percent are aged 40-59. On Tuesday, March 17, there are 13 children under the age of 10 and 8 aged over 90 years. Over 220 infected men are aged 40-49.

Denmark's government told private companies struggling with drastic measures to curb the spread of coronavirus that it would cover 75% of employees' salaries if they promised not to cut staff.
    During the three-month aid period that will last until June 9, the state offers to pay 75% of employees' salaries at a maximum of 23,000 Danish crowns ($ 3,418) per month, while companies pay the remaining 25%.
    “If a big drop in activity, and production is halted, we understand the need to send home employees. But we ask you: fire them, ”Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen told a news conference on Sunday (March 15).
    Employees will be required to take five days of mandatory vacation or time off from work, she added.

Take care, everyone!!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Everything in our Province is shutting down, with the exception of grocery stores, shopping malls and pharmacies. I was given a two month layoff notice on Monday, effective March 30th. Yesterday I was advised by my office tower admin that someone had come into work on the 5th floor and they were found to have the virus. My company has ordered all of the people in my office to work from home and self isolate for the next 14 days. We are on the 14th floor and share an elevator bank with the 5th floor. So, I'm at home with Cali and Diego for the next long while. Better safe than sorry I guess, since I have concerns about my immune system after my cancer treatment.

This virus is no joke. It's hitting seniors very hard. Please, everyone, follow the social distancing and hand wash protocols and stay safe.

Take care Everyone!
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

I'm so sorry to read about your possible exposure, Gayle. That's good that you're home and Cali and Diego are taking excellent care of you. I join with mon in believing that you're just fine!

We're sending loving good wishes and prayers that you're doing great and that you and we all stay safe and healthy.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and
    from Pat and Sparkler and Galaxy
    Last edited by phesina; 03-18-2020 at 04:07 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery