Thread: My cats are injuring me. Real possiblity for serious injury to face and eyes.

My cats are injuring me. Real possiblity for serious injury to face and eyes.

My early cats were declawed and they seemed unaffected by it. Later I adopted a 5 year old who was not and discovered it's not so bad to clip the nails and saw no damage to me or furniture and decided I would never again do that to my cats. However, my last 4 cats have me seriously considering this procedure. Clawing furniture has never been an issue (have 3 scratching posts throughout the house), however deep scratches to new quality furniture (desk, nightstand) as they launch with power from the back feet, has left me heartbroken, but learned to accept it. Most of my t-shirts have little claw holes, but I can accept that. I have some scars on my body, but again no big deal. About 2 years ago as I was reading in bed, my 2 got into it, chasing about (not friendly play) and one ran over my face under my right eye leaving a pretty deep scratch and it scarred (again powerful back paws launching). At the time I was horrified, realizing just how close I had come to serious eye injury. Since then I've been very careful to be aware if they are chasing each other and I'm in their path and protect my face. Maybe about a month ago, my little boy who has the teddy bear spot sleeping in the crook of my arm was startled by his sister and ran over my face. Thankfully only a very slight scratch. This morning, they were sleeping, under the covers when again something startled them and their path was up and over my face. I knew I had been nailed on my left eye, and this time scratches under the eye, on the eyelid and on the top of my nose. I've been lucky so far, but realize I am ignoring a real danger to my eyes if they continue to have access to my face which would probably mean no sleeping with them or reading in bed. So here is the painful dilemma I'm faced with.
    Lock them out of the room I sleep in? My room has no door to do this (second floor attic type, steps upstairs, but no door. This means I'd have to sleep in a smaller room downstairs with a door. Never permit them in when sleeping or reading? Yeah, right. Pretty sure the pounding would be relentless. Also, I've also considered this quality time and one of main enjoyments of my little companions is sleeping together, that warm feeling of those little bodies touching.
    It seems to me that the real potential for injury is the back claws. Even clipped they are still dangerous. SoftClaws are out because it would be almost impossible for me to apply them and I know they would last for maybe 15 minutes. Without a Elizabethan collar they'd be chewed off in seconds.
    The damage to my furniture tops is done, I've since placed glassed tops, and I've learned to accept it. The other scars I can accept. This is not a matter of convenience. Under other circumstances I would never even consider it, but I love my cats and would do everything to care for them, protect them, and would do nothing to hurt them.
    Short of trying to find them good safe homes, I want to keep them at all costs. They need to be safe, but my eyesight must come first and I have to do whatever it takes to protect them and still be able to keep my beloved cats.
    Right now I can see that having them declawed is the only answer. I'm really hoping that there is surgery that will leave the least damage. Back claws only?

Blog Entries
    I personally have never heard of anyone being blinded by a cat. Maybe find your cats another home if you are afraid of them. Your tale sounds a little bit ridiculous don't you think. No offence but.......really?

How about sleeping with an eye mask on, like glamorous ladies used to do? An slipcovers for furniture ...

Declawing is such an awful, barbaric surgery.
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    I am deeply ashamed to admit that I declawed 4 cats that I had all at once in my very early 20's. I was young, ignorant and in my defence, didn't know any better. Now I do, they actually don't just remove the claws, they amputate the first knuckle off of each toe, OMG! I was shocked. I was just as shocked when I got my first cat neutered. When Mozart, my Sealpoint Siamese heart cat came home, with 2 less, adorable, chocolate coloured balls.... I was SICK!!! Live and learn eh. Albeit the neutering had to be done but....EEEEK! 😡😝

I whole-heartedly agree with everybody: Declawing is barbaric, and it will cause problems with arthritis in those amputated joints.
    It also can change a cat's behavior. In our clinic, I have seen many cats turning into fractious animals because of the procedure. The older the cat, the harder it is on them. Please, please reconsider.
    Your veterinarian will apply soft paws for you, if you can't do it at home. They will stay on until the nails are getting long again, and they will last anywhere from
    6 -12 weeks.
    How do you know your kitties would chew them off? Have they had soft paws before?
    You could also ask your vet about calming meds you can give in the evening. Or if you prefer something more natural, you can try composure treats, and you can try Feliway, a synthetic pheromone.
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

Blog Entries
    Hallelujah Cats 4 Ever! I couldn't agree more. I don't even believe that most vets do that procedure anymore, at least the ones with ethics anyway. Cats love to scratch and run around like mad, crazy bohemians. When they are young especially, it's like breathing, scratching stuff and tearing about, full speed ahead, like lunatics with wild abandonment 😻 😱😺😹🤜🏻🤛

Thanks, catsforever. I will ask my vet about them.

PLEASE don't have them declawed! It's barbaric, tremendously traumatic for the cat, and is likely to result in worse behavior than before.

cats4ever has a lot of good suggestions. Best wishes working something out, hopefully with your vet's help.

from Pat and Galaxy and Sparkler
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

My cats are injuring me Real possiblity for serious injury to face and eyes

What a great post and the photos are perfect This, however, is my favorite part of it:

Actually that dog has tried to be friendly before but the cat hates him, for some odd reason.So he minds his own business and leave the cat alone

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMr View Post
    What a great post and the photos are perfect This, however, is my favorite part of it:

Actually that dog has tried to be friendly before but the cat hates him, for some odd reason.So he minds his own business and leave the cat alone
    I think that you responded to the wrong post.
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)