Thread: Itchie Bum

Itchie Bum

I have a 5 month old puppy, sometimes she drags her bum on the floor. Anyone know why?

Check her for tapeworms. If you look at her poo, there will be little white rice-like things on it.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Yeah, either worms or she could need her anal glands released.

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    Yeah, either worms or she could need her anal glands released.
    You can have your vet check for both of these. I have to express my Dixie's glands every week or she does this but puppies are prone to worms. Your vet should be able to determine this very simply.

If it is her anal glands there are many different things you can do that are simple things such as adding a can of rinsed off green beans to their food once a week for the added fiber, That right there will help

Having the anal glands released is one of the most pleasant and rewarding experience that a pet owner can have.*

*noted for the sarcastically impaired

I have never heard of this before. Does everyone do this to their dogs? How do I know if my dog needs it? Do all dogs *need* it?

Originally posted by manda99
    I have never heard of this before. Does everyone do this to their dogs? How do I know if my dog needs it? Do all dogs *need* it?
    Not all dogs need it done. Some can release it naturally (like when they poop or sometimes when they get scarred) but some dogs can't do it without help. Some dog even need them removed!! The anal glands can get infected or plugged too.

If your dog needs the anal gland expressed, you'll notice them licking their anal area a lot, lose of hair around the anal area from chewing or scooting the bottom across the floor.

My dog lets me know by just starring at his butt like there is something bothering him.

If your dog need it done, just bring him to the vet. It is very quick procedure. It takes like 2 min. If a dog needs it done frequently vets sometime teaches the owner how to do it.

Hope that helps

Felice, Zeus, Hercules

Yes, it does help, thank you.