Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Persian Dirty Face

Thank you for the tips Tamanduagirl....I did purchase the Innova cat food for my Frankie and my other cat Zoie gets it too. They seem to like it and I'll see how it goes. If they become fussy with it, I may try the food you mentioned. Also what is neem oil and where can I get it?

The infection Frankie has is very severe. It's not just under his chin and face, but all around his eyes and inside his ears. His body seems to continually produce it. I can clean and wipe his face 3 times a day and it continues to come back. He's somewhat in remission now, cause on Dec 30, my vet gave him a depo shot and he's on antibiotics. His face and ears are no longer crusting up and it's almost cleared up 100%. We've come to the conclusion that he'll need a shot monthly along with an antibiotic treatment. But of course I'll still need to clean his face for outbreaks as he gets them.

I didn't want to overhwhelm you but there are other quality foods out there. Most of these are not even offered at PetSmarts in the South. I find foods at local feed stores or the less well-known general feed stores for horses and other farm animals.

Eagle has several cat foods that are high quality. I couldn't the critters to take to it, though. Spunky needed it for his kidneys, but has done well on Innova and real meats. Eagle Pack Products

Solid Gold is supposed to be excellent or was at one time. Solid Gold Health Food for Pets

I'm feeding mine Innova Evo right now since that is all the store had. they seem to like. I think mine go by shape. They like the pellets and not triangles or crosses. Silly critters.

Hope your kitty continues to do better.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Hi Anne,

Thank you for the additional food info and for the well wishes. Frankie's been eating the INNOVA food and both he and my other cat really like it. Also, Frankie continues to improve everyday and he is free from all his breakouts and his face has cleared up completely. I think the combination of the depo shot and antibiotics along with the natural diet has helped. Im just amazed at how well he is now doing. More than likely we will need to continue with the injections monthly and antibiotics daily, but I'll monitor him closely and if he continues to do well without breakouts, I'll hold off on the shots. I'll just have to wait and see, but he is happy and playful again!

Thanks again and I'll keep you guys posted. Niki

Fingers and paws crossed that Frankie does well!!!
    Nine is Fine!!

I'm glad to hear the Frankie is doing better.

Food plays such an important part in our health.

Keep us posted.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Thanks so much for your good wishes and concern for Frankie! Well, its been almost 3 weeks since he's had a steroid shot and change to Innova food and Im continuing with the anitibiotics. He continues to do well, although, Ive noticed just a minimal amount of crusting on his chin which Im able to remove by wiping and using a flea comb. I do clean his bowls daily and wipe his face and under his chin a few times a day. His face still looks great, no breakouts there! His energy level is good and has been very playful and loving:-)

Thanks all! I'll keep you posted.

What good news!!! Hugs to Frankie and you!!
    Nine is Fine!!

sad little face...

Hi mewsgirl...my Persian-silver shaded one year two months old also has this black face stuff. I've tried two different antibiotiics, one for 28 days, different cleaners(chlorhexidine) ,ceramic dishes, different foods. Now I think it is hormonal. I was going to breed her, but now I have an apppointment to have her spayed. The difference that Yazzmyna has is that it doesn't seem painful. It looks terrible, but she allows me to clean it and seems to actually enjoy it. She is a happy gentle kiten. I fell so sad for you and your boy! It is a nightmare when your pet is in pain...please don't give up yet. My daughter is a bird person and told about my cat on her site and this is how I got to this site and you. My next plan of action is to try some homeopathic remedys. But I'm going to wait until after she is spayed Feb 7. Please feel free to email me.....saphira...
    Last edited by saphira; 01-26-2007 at 10:57 AM. Reason: add location-British Columbia, Canada

Hi All, wanted to give an update on Frankie...You all have been so kind by providing advice and tips! Frankie is doing well. His last depo shot was on February 2; Im still giving him antibiotics, but only every other day or so and his breakouts are minimal. Im hoping that he can be off the antibiotics completely, but of course will monitor him closely.

When he had received his depo shot the end of December, his face, chin and eyes were crusting up about 2 weeks after, but wasnt really bad. It's been almost 4 weeks since his last shot Feb 2 and his crustings are very few. I've been giving him and my other cat the California Natural Chicken & Rice food for almost 2 months now and both my cats love it. I think the change in his diet to a natural food has made all the difference.

Thanks again and will keep you posted!

It is funny that you should post an update today, as I have been thinking of posting. Our sweet nearly 11 old Persian, Raven, has not had an outbreak of the crusting, she gets it around her eyes, side of mouth, and her jaw, since I started to add the following to her food(Raven is a kidney kitty that eats Hills k/d wet food(she has no teeth, but can gum the dry food). OK, about a half tsp of Dream Coat, Anitra's Vita-Mineral Mix(both are made by Halo-www.halopets.com), for Cats Nu-Pet Feline Granular(www.arknaturals.com)and lecithin granules. This has to be increased s-l-o-w-l-y in about 4 tsps of water(since Raven eats wet food the whole thing can be mixed together!! Besides the black coffee ground crusts being gone, he coat is so fluffy and shiny!!! Please let me know if this helps. Raven has NEVER been treated with antibiotics or steriods for the crusting, but what a HUGE surprise to see that this worked!!! GOOD LUCK!!! Sandra
    Nine is Fine!!

Quote Originally Posted by Niki77 View Post
    Hi All, wanted to give an update on Frankie...You all have been so kind by providing advice and tips! Frankie is doing well. His last depo shot was on February 2; Im still giving him antibiotics, but only every other day or so and his breakouts are minimal. Im hoping that he can be off the antibiotics completely, but of course will monitor him closely.

When he had received his depo shot the end of December, his face, chin and eyes were crusting up about 2 weeks after, but wasnt really bad. It's been almost 4 weeks since his last shot Feb 2 and his crustings are very few. I've been giving him and my other cat the California Natural Chicken & Rice food for almost 2 months now and both my cats love it. I think the change in his diet to a natural food has made all the difference.

Thanks again and will keep you posted!
    Can you tell me how your frankie is doing? My cat recently got diagnosed with idiopathic facial dermatitis as well. Ive been all over the net looking for safer solutions but only can come across topical ointment called tacrolimus, oral liquid atopica and denamarin. I too have changed foods,bowls, litters,special face wipes the list goes on and on.