Thread: Hello Cat People

Hello Cat People

I am a long time member of Pet Talk, but haven't posted on here in ages. I don't think I have ever posted in the cat section before! Huge dog lover and most of my posts have been on the dog side about my 3 gorgeous dogs. My pups are gone now and I have found myself being a cat lady now. I have a very handsome orange fellow who goes by the name, Milo. I am heading over heels for Milo! Here is the problem, Milo is tearing my legs to pieces. It is so noticable that people ask what has happened to my legs. I do not believe in declawing, so do you have any suggestions how I can get him to stop shredding my legs?

There are covers you can get for his claws. (I forget what they're called).

Or try using a water pistol when he goes for your legs.

He is adorable - I hope he outgrows this in time!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Get him scratching posts, and rub catnip on them so he is attracted to them. Try keeping a spray bottle of water handy - when he does it, he gets a spritz along with a "no, bad kitty" Or, y'know, shin guards!
    I've Been Frosted

I've got the same problem with my "house panther" Naomi. She will claw my legs and backside if I don't pay enough attention!

I see that "Soft Paws" have already gotten a mention. You can also check your favorite pet supply store for nail clippers (might want to get a friend to help you the first time).
    [b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

Welcome to the cat side!
    You already got the best advice with soft paws, the spray bottle and the scratch post.
    I would like to mention, if you are up to it, getting a playmate for Milo. Cats will teach each other how far they can go. Just a thought.
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

Cat Toys. Especially with a wand and feather teaser at the end. Give her something else to grab rather than a leg.

Hi RobiLee! So nice to hear from you after all these years! So sorry to hear that all of the pups have left for the Rainbow Bridge. But kitties, as you've come to learn, are so very special too! You've already gotten tons of great advice re: the scratching, so I'll end with sending love and hugs to you and Milo!
    Sandra~

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Thanks Everyone!

Milo does have a scratching post but I've never tried putting catnip on it. He has plenty of toys that we play with and he plays with on his own. I looked at the Soft Caps yesterday and they looked like a pain to mess with. Has anyone used these? I picked up some nail trimmers for him but didn't have any success with those, but I will keep trying. He is really good about his daily brushing and doesn't even mind a bath, but fought pretty hard about trimming his nails. His nails are wicked sharp, teeth too! Most times he isn't even playing, it just happens if he is sitting on me or if he hops up on me. He is a clumsy boy and there have been plenty of times where he misses the jump and while latch on with his claws as he is falling. OUCH!! I am considering a playmate for him. I have big fears about that though. First is I'm afraid it will mess up our bond. We are very bonded and I love it!! My other fear is that if I bring in another animal that something bad will happen to Milo. While I still had my dog, Zack, I adopted a stray kitten and not too long after that Zack passed away. Zack was fairly old and his health was declining so it was understandable. So then a few months ago when ago when I adopted Milo to be a playmate for my cat Maggie, Maggie tragically died at the age of 2, so now I'm left with that fear as well. Oh, I now have a spray bottle of water beside me! We'll see how that goes!

Dear RobiLee, welcome back, and I want to add my best wishes that this problem can be solved without too much difficulty. Sending loads of love to Milo and you!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Whenever you and Milo have cuddle time, handle his toes affectionately so he gets used to them being handled. It will take some time but will help with the clipping issue.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

The nailcaps are a little bit of a pain to apply. I work at a veterinary hospital, and any client who uses them for their cats, lets us usually do it.
    But, they have saved quite a few kitties from being declawed.
    It usually requires two people, one holding the cat, the other one trimming the nails, and then applying the caps.
    Depending on how fast the nails grow back, the caps last anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks.
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)