Thread: Who are they kidding?

Who are they kidding?

A few years ago, a cell tower, "disguised" as a tree, went up, not too far from where I'm living.
    Really? It's sticking out like a sore thumb, and it's called a "monopine".
    I appreciate the effort, but couldn't they have made it just a little more realistic?

https://www.journalnow.com/news/loca...3012c5d7d.html
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

2. Im getting such mixed vibes from this about what kind of tree its trying to be as it looks like its trying to impersonate a pine tree but it looks off in the shape an coloring of the needles an the branch lengths are too short or something as well. that said however i think the tree part of it might look real if viewed from distance except for the metal bits up top

Hey, it looks better than just a plain pole with stuff stuck to it, and it contains plenty of bird perching area - I approve!

There's one in Wellesley, Massachusetts - or maybe Weston - right on the Mass Pike. When it first went up I think it has 4-6 branches, and we all thought, "Really? That's all you are gonna add? Everntually they added the rest, and while it does not look "real" up close, it blends in with the trees around itself from a distance.
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    I wanna see a picture of it. I can't really see it in my minds eye.

It doesn't exactly look like a real tree blending in with the others around it, but with the "branches" allowing for bird-perching, that's much better than the straight-up poles.

I'm surprised no one in Ann Arbor .. a.k.a. "Tree-Town" ..has come up with doing that yet!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Name:  566b4d3f56e32.image.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  543.6 KB
    I've Been Frosted

I guess you all have a point, but every time I go this way, I can see it from a mile away, and I just can't get used to it!

Why did they make it SO much higher than the real trees? And with such a different "leaf" color?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

9. Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Why did they make it SO much higher than the real trees? And with such a different "leaf" color?
    Think of it like a look out tower,, the higher it is the better you see around you; but if its the same or average height of the other trees than you get a view of...well.. the other trees LOL

or to be more specific increasing altitude of the tower just ensures that the transmitted signal travels further with less interference.

as for the different needle/leaf color was prolly cuz it was cheaper.
    Walmart paint anyone? LOL

Blog Entries
    I like it. Seen a helluva lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Vette View Post
    Think of it like a look out tower,, the higher it is the better you see around you; but if its the same or average height of the other trees than you get a view of...well.. the other trees LOL

or to be more specific increasing altitude of the tower just ensures that the transmitted signal travels further with less interference.

as for the different needle/leaf color was prolly cuz it was cheaper.
    Walmart paint anyone? LOL
    Thank you for the explanation, Vette!
    Death thought about it.

12. Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Thank you for the explanation, Vette!
    You are welcome

I went to college in the Adirondack Park, a mix of public and private land (many of it being wilderness), larger than Yellowstone, Everglades, Glacier, and Grand Canyon National Park combined at 6 million acres. It's a unique conservation experiment stemming from 1891. Anyway, it's wilderness attracts many people there annually for hiking, camping, skiing, fishing, "getting away", etc. A lot of these include people who don't know how to survive in the wilderness and these ugly "trees" littered the area (well not really, but they were much better than the ugly typical ones). The birds are much more likely to perch on these. I've never seen a nest in one of them but I suppose that's something that could possibly happen. While they aren't really nice to look at, they allow safety for Visitors who may get injured, lost, etc in the wilderness and allow it to sort of "blend in" with the environment.

Rather than just a naked pole sticking up, this is much better, although you can see it's fake. The height is surely for better reception of signals.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I'm glad that this post sparked so much response!