Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Cancer

This is the hardest race you have ever run, and no one will beat you!
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

Blog Entries
    Perfectly put catsforever, could not think of how to express my thoughts and you nailed it. You sure are doing beautifully and we all admire you. No matter what, you are doing the very best and helping others along your way.

3 more radiation treatments. I am finished and will ring the bell on FRIDAY!

My skin is red, tender and a little itchy. The radiation oncologist says it is moderate, on his scale of mild, moderate and severe. He expects it will get to severe over the next 1-3 weeks.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Poop View Post
    3 more radiation treatments. I am finished and will ring the bell on FRIDAY!

My skin is red, tender and a little itchy. The radiation oncologist says it is moderate, on his scale of mild, moderate and severe. He expects it will get to severe over the next 1-3 weeks.
    I hope he had a really good ointment or etc to recommend. The Apothecary in Inglewood sells raw shea butter in bulk, if that would help.

I'm glad you get to ring the bell SOON! How great this is almost over for you!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Fantastic! Well done, Gayle!!!

from Galaxy and Sparkler and Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Blog Entries
    So proud of you and happy that you are getting close to that bell ringing!!

Wahoo! I had early morning appts for my radiation so there was nobody but the technicians to see me ring the bell but they cheered loud for me...you are almost there! As I said, the after burn stuff, aloe gel, is awesome for the skin after the treatments...

Lots of {{gentle}} hugs!

You are so brave, Gayle, and you're almost there. I wish you strength to get through the last bit of treatment.

If your skin itches, there are creams to help with that, I like the E45 products, but there are others.
    https://www.e45.co.uk/our-products/e...-relief-cream/

I think these are from the US, but you better check carefully what's in them:
    https://www.wisebread.com/the-5-best-anti-itch-creams

Sending love and (((hugs)))

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Thank you all for your kind words and support thru my cancer journey. I finished radiation yesterday. I rang the bell with gusto. I am thrilled and terrified to be done treatment. Although not technically finished as I still receive Herceptin every 3 weeks until the end of July. I'm also taking Tamoxifen daily, for the next 5-10 years.

My skin is very red, a little sore and a little itchy on the edges of the radiation area.

I'm most grateful for Cali and Diego. Thru this journey they have both taken their turns at comforting me. I'm certain this would have been much more difficult without them, especially after losing my Mom last January.
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

What great news that you're done with the treatment... well almost. You can now look forward.

I have no doubt that Cali and Diego have been a wonderful comfort, there's nothing better than some sweet furry faces and purrs to make you feel better.

In hope your skin will itch less now. Don't bathe/shower in very hot water, it can make it worse because it dries out the skin.

Sending love and (((hugs)))

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Congratulations, Gayle! Excellent work on your part and that of your fine Personal Trainers and Nurses Cali and Diego!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

It has been 10 days since my last radiation treatment. Last Friday my skin got itchy, like the kind if itchy that will drive you crazy. I tried the Base Glaxal cream that I have been using and the 1% hydrocortisone cream the radiation doctor prescribed and neither provided relief. I had Aveno skin relief moisturizing cream for itchy winter skin and tried that - and found relief. Apparently when your skin gets itchy like that it means the healing has begun - I sure hope so. Most of my radiated skin is now tanned dark brown, except the area that received the boost radiation, that is still angry red. I have a bit of peeling in my armpit in the creases.

I had my echo and blood work for the heart monitoring they are doing and both came back normal, so that is good. The Herceptin hasn't damaged my heart yet. Will have another set of tests in April.

I'm working on modifying my diet to avoid estrogenic foods and sugars and include more proteins.

Cali must be feeling less stressed over me now, the hair is growing back on her tummy. She still sticks to me like glue when I'm home though.

My hair is coming back, ever so slowly. It is very grey/white.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Poop View Post
    It has been 10 days since my last radiation treatment. Last Friday my skin got itchy, like the kind if itchy that will drive you crazy. I tried the Base Glaxal cream that I have been using and the 1% hydrocortisone cream the radiation doctor prescribed and neither provided relief. I had Aveno skin relief moisturizing cream for itchy winter skin and tried that - and found relief. Apparently when your skin gets itchy like that it means the healing has begun - I sure hope so. Most of my radiated skin is now tanned dark brown, except the area that received the boost radiation, that is still angry red. I have a bit of peeling in my armpit in the creases.

I had my echo and blood work for the heart monitoring they are doing and both came back normal, so that is good. The Herceptin hasn't damaged my heart yet. Will have another set of tests in April.

I'm working on modifying my diet to avoid estrogenic foods and sugars and include more proteins.

Cali must be feeling less stressed over me now, the hair is growing back on her tummy. She still sticks to me like glue when I'm home though.

My hair is coming back, ever so slowly. It is very grey/white.
    Aww, I bet it looks pretty and silvery though! Thanks for updating us, and keeping us in the loop. Still in our prayers, of course!
    I've Been Frosted

I'm glad that your echo and bloodwork came back normal.
    What a journey! You are so strong. I imagine you have dozens of bottles of skin lotion. That's great that you found something that works. I have only the regular itchy winter skin, I don't even dare to imagine what you are going through!
    Keep going, you are in my thoughts!
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

Dear Gayle, thank you for the wonderful update. Sounds like you are doing great! That's good that the Aveno cream is providing relief for your itchy skin.

I'm glad Cali is doing better also, not feeling so stressed. And I'm glad she and Diego are taking such good care of you!

VERY well done, Gayle! You're so strong! We're thinking of you and sending loads of good wishes and warm thoughts and prayers and healing energies.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and from Pat and Sparkler and new kitty Galaxy
    Death thought about it.