Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ah, the delights of spammers

I have all the latest in spyware ,malware, etc, etc but i still have a lot to slip by in spite of all these programs. My real problem though is my virus,malware software blocking files that I want to go through. I have a netbook that I use a lot at night and a desktop that I use during the day. Starting a week ago I found that my virus software blocked Word files that I tried sending from my netbook to my desktop. i would get a message saying " OE has detected an unsafe file that has been deleted." It did not put it in quarantine somewhere so I could retrieve it. The virus software just deleted the file no matter what format I used to send it.

I finally had to resort to copying my file by using a flash drive. All efforts to email
    a simple Word file failed.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

I got a new one for all of you! Spam by phone! I got a phone call today warning me my extended warranty on my vehicle was fixing to expire and I needed to renew it if I wanted to keep it. I wasn't aware you could even GET a warranty on a 9 years old vehicle with over 100K miles on it, much less that I had one on it... Did I do wrong in hanging up on them?

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I have also already won billions, turned down offers to partner with a scammer that would net me millions, gotten mail from servicemen who have found barrels of money on Sadams property and want me to help get it to the U.S., sob stories of dying women whose husband and children have been killed and they want me to invest their millions in charities in the U.S., mail from the FBI directing me to deal with someone in Nigeria and that it is all legit, and on and on and on.......
    The one that tickled my funny bone is one I got a couple of days ago. It was from a 17 year old whose parents were killed in some horrible accident, leaving her all their millions. Of course she couldn't get the money till she was in her mid 20's, so she wanted to sign it over to me, and then help her get to the U.S. She is presently in an Ethiopian refugee camp. Gee - I wonder when refugee camps got computers for their "residents" to use???
    What half way intelligent individual could believe any of these?????
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

What you're getting sounds twice as bad as what I get here. My gosh, some of those I never heard of and I thought I heard them all.....guess news ones are thought up every day. Those refugee camps are getting more and more modern aren't they ; )
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

kokpup - Spyware and antivirus programs don't stop spam...they have nothing to do with it (I presume you are talking about email spam).

How many programs are you running?

Not sure what "OE" is, but if it is deleting safe files, I'd dump the program!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Catty1
    Not sure what "OE" is, but if it is deleting safe files, I'd dump the program!
    It appears that Outlook express (OE) has added a feature in a recent update
    that deletes files that meet certain criteria. I'm not sure what it uses to determine a file has a virus but it isn't doing a very good job. The files it is rejecting are Word files I'm sending to myself. There is a absolutely no chance of a virus.

Since this just started it must have come through on one of my recent MS
    updates. I have good virus software without Outlook getting into the act.

If you do a Google search on "OE deleting unsafe files" you will see that many people have had the same issue.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    What half way intelligent individual could believe any of these?????
    They make millions out of gullible people...that's why they do it, because sometimes it works.

"I'm Back !!"

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies View Post
    I got a new one for all of you! Spam by phone! I got a phone call today warning me my extended warranty on my vehicle was fixing to expire and I needed to renew it if I wanted to keep it. I wasn't aware you could even GET a warranty on a 9 years old vehicle with over 100K miles on it, much less that I had one on it... Did I do wrong in hanging up on them?
    That's been showing up on both my cell phone and landline. My car is 8 years old with 150K+ miles on it.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Okay, the past few weeks, my inbox is full of many many many emails purporting to be young ladies - all 25, scantily clad, etc., - who "love sex" and want to "firetruck" minus the ire-t, but with at least a couple extra uuus in that word.

Dear spammers,

While i am now widowed, even if I wanted to "get together tomorrow" for some fire trucking, my partner of choice would not be 25, would not be female, and would have better sense than emailing pictures like that.

Also, spammers, I am allergic to pot,/marijuana don't need it in oil form either!

And, spammers, telling me you have hacked into my email and are blackmailing me because you control my computer and recorded me visiting x-rated sites, try at least sending that to someone more gullible, and try an account with a name attached to it, not for example, "[email protected]."
    I've Been Frosted

Sounds like my inbox!
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

Blog Entries
    We get some pretty evil phone scammers too. We usually never pick up the land line but we have received messages that our home is going to be repossessed and our taxes are in arrears and we haven't filed our income tax. Hilarious. That is all complete bullshit. Every single word. Never owed one dime, never will. You are quite right. Some folks might believe that crap and get all worked up, maybe financially screwed over as well. I think they pick on vulnerable peeps who they can rip off. Very sad. I'd rather starve to death and die in a ditch than prey on the most vulnerable people in our society. Everyone needs an answering machine. Screen your calls. If you are in debt....I wish you weren't.

I get way more phone calls like that than ones from people I might actually want to hear from and talk with.

I am so thankful for the caller-ID on my phone! I don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number and want to hear from whoever it is.

A lot of the spam calls even leave messages! I get one (or two) every day from some bunch that want to sell me "medical braces." Those come from different numbers all the time, so I can't just put a number for them on the "do not call" list.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery