Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mindy has heartburn

Mindy has heartburn

Since I don't have enough cats on medications, Mindy decided to have acid reflux.
    Over the past few years, she's been regurgitating food while eating. It happened really infrequently, and I wasn't concerned.
    Lately, whenever she was resting, she started having "hiccups", where something would come up her throat (presumably stomach acid) which then she had to swallow back down. And her chin always stays wet from saliva.
    I finally started putting all those things together, and the vet agreed that it is most likely acid reflux.
    Her vet put her on omeprazole to see if it will make her more comfortable.
    Otherwise, there will be more diagnostics. I keep my fingers crossed that the medication will help.

Mom, I think you misspelled my name!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mincomp2.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	60954
    Willa (5/1/1997-3/17/2018)

We're sending you best wishes, dearest Mindy, that the omeprazole will help you.

I take that myself for heartburn, and it helps me!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

*kisses to Mindy*
    I hope the omeprazole will help a lot!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

We hit a bump in the road to being free of heartburn.
    Since Mindy started omeprazole, she had been anorexic a couple of times. The first time, I found her in the morning, both eyes almost shut with yellow discharge, and totally inappetent. Her bloodwork was completely normal. By the evening, she was back to being Mindy.
    Yesterday, she vomited her supper, and then she would only pick at her food.
    She saw her vet today, and it was decided to suspend the omeprazole for 2 weeks, in case all of this is related to the medicine. I also took her blood pressure, and it is on the high end of normal.
    Nothing really makes sense, and since the beginning of July, Mindy has been sickly. She used to be my healthiest kitty.
    Even the vet doesn't have any real answers right now.
    Please send some healing thoughts to get my sweet lap kitty through this!
    Last edited by cats4ever; 08-31-2018 at 06:45 PM.

We are sending loads of good wishes and prayers and healing thoughts and warm energies Mindy's way. Here's hoping the solution will be found to this puzzle and she will be doing much better soon.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and from Pat and Sparkler
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Healing thoughts and energy on the way to Mindy from Prathima, Kaveri and Shiela.

Healing hugs to poor Mindy!

Some PTrs have used pepcid for tummy upsets. Maybe your vet would agree to try that.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thank you so much, everybody! Mindy's appetite has returned, but now that the omeprazole is out of her system, she's back to burping and gulping. Her wet chin is visible in the picture.
    Thank you, Candace. I will ask my vet about Pepcid (famotidine).

Mindy will beat this thing!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	minbat.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	60992

AWWWwwwww, Mindy, you are so cute! What a gorgeous Calico lady you are, wet chin and all!

I see you're all set for the Big Leagues. PLAY BALL!!!

Death thought about it.

Blog Entries
    I am wondering why my cat peed right beside her litter box. She never misses, it was very clean and she has two to choose from. It was a LOT of pee too. I don't want to drag her to the vet for one pee. She's a cat, obviously would prefer to die before going there. I just know that she is getting very old and could be anywhere from 15 to 20, just a guess as she won't tell. Is this what elderly cats do occasionally? Her appetite is good, she grooms and is very mobile and spoiled quite properly. Should I just keep an eye on her and take her to the vet if it happens again. What would you do? Thank you!🤔

Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    I am wondering why my cat peed right beside her litter box. She never misses, it was very clean and she has two to choose from. It was a LOT of pee too. I don't want to drag her to the vet for one pee. She's a cat, obviously would prefer to die before going there. I just know that she is getting very old and could be anywhere from 15 to 20, just a guess as she won't tell. Is this what elderly cats do occasionally? Her appetite is good, she grooms and is very mobile and spoiled quite properly. Should I just keep an eye on her and take her to the vet if it happens again. What would you do? Thank you!樂
    If a kitty pees outside the litterbox, she's trying to tell you that something is wrong.
    One possibility is that, as a senior kitty, she has arthritis, and it's painful to climb into the litter box.
    But she also could have other things going on (besides a urinary tract infection) that could make her do that, like kidney disease or diabetes.
    I know it's an inconvenience, for you and your cat, but I would take her to the vet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cats4ever View Post
    If a kitty pees outside the litterbox, she's trying to tell you that something is wrong.
    One possibility is that, as a senior kitty, she has arthritis, and it's painful to climb into the litter box.
    But she also could have other things going on (besides a urinary tract infection) that could make her do that, like kidney disease or diabetes.
    I know it's an inconvenience, for you and your cat, but I would take her to the vet.
    Solid advice, thank you. I'm fairly certain it's not arthritis, lately Mia's been jumping to the very top of her tower and she's one paw short, born that way. She has 3 large cat trees. Weird thing is...that morning I was reading in bed and I heard a cat jump up on my night table, I didn't look as both cats do that all the time. I just reached over to pet her without looking and there was no cat there. I was a little surprised so I looked around and Lily was snoozing at the bottom of the bed and Mia was just a few feet away on the top of her tower sleeping like an angel. Ghost. Totally, you may thinking girlfreind's losing it. Hey, can't make this sh*t up. Well, I suppose you can, but hand to God, happened. Therefore I have concluded that the said ghost cat peed upon the floor. Also, there is no way a cat could pee that much. An elephant maybe. Maybe someone spilled a glass of water or something? I will keep my eyes peeled and diligently try to discover the mystery. If it happens again.....off the vet, top speed. If it was pee, I cannot even be sure which cat it was. I just assumed it was Mia because she's old. Or how a wee cat could pee like an elephant. Ghost.

They can pee that much, if they drink enough. Miss Kitty will flood the litterbox every time. She can come close to 1/2 liter, almost a pint.

Blog Entries
    Oh come on, how could you possibly measure cat urine? They pee,in a litter or on the floor, carpet...not in a freaking measuring cup right. So I don't understand how you can possibly know exactly or even approximately how much p your cat puts out. If you can explain this to me I am all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    Oh come on, how could you possibly measure cat urine? They pee,in a litter or on the floor, carpet...not in a freaking measuring cup right. So I don't understand how you can possibly know exactly or even approximately how much p your cat puts out. If you can explain this to me I am all ears.
    Because the litterboxes are lined with newspaper with very little litter on top. It's easy to clean, but when Miss Kitty pees, it is so much volume that it goes under the paper. When I remove the paper, the bottom of the box is covered in approximately 1/4 inch of urine!
    I have drawn up the urine into syringes more than once (which means I have measured it), when I had to take it to work for a urinalysis.
    I'm a veterinary assistant, and we measure things!