Thread: Zoe to the whitecoats

Zoe to the whitecoats

I read somewhere that 2 out of every 3 cats will have some health problem. I figured Zoe was the lucky third out of my three.

She didn't read the statistics, obviously!

Nothing serious so far - she had peed on my one pillow and on the blanket (right over my ankle) and was very restless. Last night she left a bit in the bathtub and there was blood in it.

I gave her 1/4 cap of the gabapentin I had for Cole in some warm milk. She lapped much of it up and was resting comfortably for most of the night. I had to do it again about 6 am and she was okay.

I expect - hope - it is just a bladder infection. I imagine they'll want to do a panel on her as well.

Please send good wishes her way.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

We are sending good wishes and loving thoughts and warm healing energies to Zoe, and to you too, Candace, and the other kitties.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Poor Zoe, anything bladder related is so uncomfortable.
    The vet will probably want a urine sample first. If possible, collect some before you take her.
    Out of the tub would be the best option. If you still hours away from taking Zoe, refrigerate the urine.
    Lots of times, when the kitty arrives at the vet, the bladder is empty, and the vet can only guess if it is a bacterial infection, or feline lower urinary tract syndrome, which is just as uncomfortable, but doesn't involve bacteria.
    Good luck and best wishes to you and Zoe!

Thanks Pat and Heidi.

Because Zoe feels the urge to go so frequently there was nothing in her bladder. She will go for her recheck on the 28th. I am to keep her in the bathroom for several hours before that so she does have some urine.

I got to see the ultrasound - thick bladder wall, some crystals or something bright white (an x-ray ruled out a stone), and a sore on her lower abdomen from licking so much.

I can use the Gabapentin that Cole had after his surgery. I have enough for 10 - 14 days. Yay! I just gave her a dose in warm water mixed with urinary wet food. She ate it all so will feel more comfortable soon.

Thanks again.

ETA: She also needs a dental and at least 3 extractions due to FORL. However, March is dental health month at the vet's so surgery is 10% off. Since Oscar needs one as well, I'll take it!

Candace, I'm glad that she doesn't have bladder stones, and that you can keep her comfortable with the Gabapentin.
    Head bumpies and purrs to all your kitties.

Good wishes on the way to Zoe.

Oh Zoe, I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I know your Meowmie is taking very good care of you.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Thank you again. She's also on a liquid antibiotic twice a day, for a week. It requires refrigeration so I need to get a fresh batch at that time. Her first squirt went just fine.
    She is more comfortable with the Gabapentin and the antibiotic will hopefully start working shortly.

Two cats now on urinary food. C'est la vie avec des chats.

Aww, glad she was good about the medicine! Give her a kiss from me, please!
    I've Been Frosted