Thread: Puppy Food?????

Puppy Food?????

So I finally got him! Now what do I feed him? There's so many difrent kinds of Puppy Food!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!

------------------
    pup pup pup puppies!!!

Hi Jojo and Hunter!
    Your dad isn't going to like my suggestion...since he has to pay for it! But I would suggest a super premium natural food, not the grocery store type. Bil Jac (available at Petsmart)and Flint River Ranch (www.f-r-r.com)are two I know about. If you must get the "grocery store" brand, I would go for the Iams puppy food. My brother has two beautiful black labs, Dixie and Buck, and he feeds them Diamond brand, and they are lean and have the most beautiful coats. He buys it at a pet supply store.
    Good luck and give Hunter a big sloppy kiss from Honey and Lilly.
    Logan

[This message has been edited by Logan (edited May 22, 2001).]

We have always used, Technical Puppy Food for our puppies.

I know Logan's suggestions are highly thought of. I gave my lab Eukanuba Puppy for Large Breeds. My vet seemed to be pleased with that choice. Also, if you can't go the more expensive route, PURINA PRO PLAN PUPPY was also highly recommended by the vet. It's not the Purina in the grocery store (that's Purina Dog Chow and Purina One) only pet stores, but is still less expensive than the ultra premiums. A good moderate cost choice. Big kisses and hugs to the puppy from Sandra Star and Cody! I'm SO JEALOUS!!

Our breeder fed Bella Eukanuba puppy food (for medium breeds) so we are continuing. I have had good luck with Eukanuba in the past too. My other standard poodle had a "gas" problem when we got her. The vet suggested changing to Eukanuba and it was nice to be able to sit near her without an "unpleasant whiff" in the evening.

Shiloh ate Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy food.

------------------

Jojo, I should add, in all honesty, that in my ignorance, I did feed Honey and Lilly Purina Puppy Chow for almost their whole first year of their life. In fact, my vet told me to!!! I do the Flint River Ranch now because I trust the more natural foods, and thankfully can afford them! I use about 40 pounds every 3 1/2 weeks on them, and it costs a little less than $50. They do eat less of this food than the others, so I think it all balances out. Good luck!
    Logan

I fed all of my dogs Purina puppy chow as a puppies and they did fine on it. Know they eat Pedigree Dog chow

I fed Sadie Iams Puppy Food, in the yellow bag. It is good dog food for puppies! Hope this helps!

I fed mine Purina Puppy Chow also. Now they are on Purina Dog Chow. My vet told me thta was a good brand. Logan, what is wrong with Purina?

There's nothing wrong with Purina. Actually, my vet told me that Purina Ralston does the most research into dog nutrition than any other pet food company. It's just that so many new premium dog foods now have different formulations for special needs: Large breeds, sensitive stomach, supplements for joint health, etc. Also, the main ingredient is usually not the grain, but the chicken, lamb, etc. and many do not use animal by products, a lot of unnecessary chemicals and additives etc. But Purina does provide good general nutrition. Do you give them anything extra in their food? Raw veggies, yogurt, any canned food? Many of the added ingredients in premium priced foods can be added. Like Innova adds yogurt, apples, carrots, garlic, things like that. I would say that Purina One and Purina Pro Plan are a bit more nutritionally complete than Purina Dog Chow. There's so much out there to choose from. Talk with your vet. If he/she thinks it's a good choice, and your dog's coat and general health is good, then you're probably OK with your choice! So many choices! Sandra

------------------

[This message has been edited by tatsxxx11 (edited May 23, 2001).]

Sandra answered the Purina question, and my vet told me the exact same thing hers did. He said no company spends any more money than Purina on research. I just know that Goldens have a terrible history of cancer, hip problems, etc. and I wanted to do anything possible to avoid that, so I have chosen to do the Flint River Ranch because it is completely natural food. But believe me, I know many dogs who have thrived on Purina, Pedigree, etc.

The bottom line is to study up, read the ingredient list and avoid the foods that have corn or grain as one of the top ingredients.

Logan

Thank you Sandra and Logan for answering me. All my dogs have always been fed Purina and have had no problems with it. No, I don't feed them anything extra. My four year old takes care of that for me. She's slips stuff under the table for them or if it's something really good, they just take it from her hands.

When I got my puppy, I fed him Eukanuba but now he has something wrong with the back part of his body, even though he's only 2, and I don't know if it's because of the food or no, but I like the Purina.

Have you taken your pup to the vet? If it is hip displaysia, there are things that can help, and that has to do with genetics, not with whatever you fed him!