Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Monroe update

Monroe update

Yesterday, we had a bit of setback in terms of Monroe's meds.
    He developed diarrhea (a side effect of one of the heartmeds), so I asked his vet if I could give him an anti-diarrheal, and she said yes.
    I did, and Monroe was eating it in a pillpocket, but then he bit down on it, and he started foaming and gagging, and eventually vomiting. Everything came up, including food from several hours ago.
    I knew at this point that he would never ever eat any pillpockets again.
    Later, I tried one of the meds (a microscopically small piece) in some food, no luck.
    Monroe can detect the trace of a hint of a speck of dust in the stinkiest food.
    He will join the DEA as a drug-sniffing cat to pay for his medical bills.
    I know he needs his meds, no matter what, so today I cheated: I gave him one of Willa's appetite stimulants (ok per his vet), and now he's driving me crazy wanting to eat constantly and being noisy and restless.
    But, hallelujah, it worked. I hope this one dose will be enough to keep him going.

More prayers and positive thoughts for dear Monroe and for Willa, Miss Kitty, Clover and Olive too
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Oh, Monroe, I hope the appetite stimulant dose will be enough and will get you eating and taking your meds as you need to!

We are sending along our continuing prayers and healing energies and warm positive thoughts and good wishes for you.. and of course for Willa, Miss Kitty, Clover, and Olive too.. and for dear Meowmie!!!!!

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and ~~~~PURRRS~~~~ and from Pat and Sparkler and Poppy
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I am sorry. Sending more prayers and positive thoughts!
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Blog Entries
    Sending tons of love and best wishes to Monroe!!

Thank you all for the well wishes!
    I just have take a deep breath and relax.

Oh good...I don't quite follow, though. The appetite med means he'll eat anything, med or no med?

Good going, Monroe and Mommy!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Posirive thoughts and purryers to Monroe and good luck to you Heidi.

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Oh good...I don't quite follow, though. The appetite med means he'll eat anything, med or no med?

Good going, Monroe and Mommy!
    I think the appetite stimulant did what I hoped for: Just one dose, and once Monroe started taking his meds again, he already had forgotten what made him vomit, even after the appetite stimulant was out of his system.

Quote Originally Posted by cats4ever View Post
    i think the appetite stimulant did what i hoped for: Just one dose, and once monroe started taking his meds again, he already had forgotten what made him vomit, even after the appetite stimulant was out of his system.
    Excellent!

Today, Monroe had his first recheck after starting his heart meds. He seems to be doing ok, but he started coughing two days ago. That scared me a bit.
    His vet is not convinced though that the cough is heart-related, because coughing is much more uncommon in heartfailure cats than it is in heartfailure dogs. She told me to keep an eye on it.
    Otherwise, his kidneys are tolerating all the meds well. His x-rays are still showing fluid in his chest, but she didn't increase his furosemide ("fluid pill") yet, because he will start another(!) medicine, and she did not want overburden his system right now. This will be the fourth heart medicine.
    So overall he's doing well, and he gained a little weight. He will go back in two weeks.

I'm so glad Monroe is overall doing well and has gained some weight! Well done, Monroe and Heidi!

All our good wishes and prayers and healing energies continue on their way..

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    I'm so glad Monroe is overall doing well and has gained some weight! Well done, Monroe and Heidi!

All our good wishes and prayers and healing energies continue on their way..

Thank you, Pat!
    Unfortunately, Monroe's cough got a lot worse today. I still think it's heart related, and I guess his vet is convinced now, too, because she increased the frequency of his fluid pill. I hope it helps. It breaks my heart watching him cough so hard.

Oh, Monroe.. I hope the new fluid pill frequency helps, too.

We send our loving good wishes, and I wish I could hold you gently or pet you or whatever might feel nice to you.

from Pat, and Poppy and Sparkler too
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Oh, Monroe.. I hope the new fluid pill frequency helps, too.

We send our loving good wishes, and I wish I could hold you gently or pet you or whatever might feel nice to you.

from Pat, and Poppy and Sparkler too
    Thank you, Pat! Monroe would love to be petted, and he would response with the loudest purr imaginable.
    He had a couple more spells this evening, and he wouldn't eat his treats. Needless to say that I'm even more worried now.