Thread: Lesson learned?

Lesson learned?

Yesterday was one of those days at work, if asked "how was work today?", I would have answered "different".
    We had a kitty who had come in for a little procedure. His parents don't believe in using crates, so they always carry him in their arms!! Shortly, after they had picked him up in the afternoon, somebody came running into the lab and said: "The cat is in the woods".
    My heart sank, and I was so mad at the parents. I went with one of my co-workers to try to get the cat.
    The woods right beside the hospital are very dense with briars and poison ivy, and there's also a busy road nearby.
    We were wading through the underbrush, and it took us 5 minutes before we saw the cat. Every time we moved, he moved away from us.
    After 15 minutes, he got closer to the edge, we were still separated by briars but he started moving towards me, and I was finally able to grab him. He was still crazy from the drugs, and he dug his nails into my arm, but I would not let go, even if he would have bitten me. We made it back to the hospital, scratched up, sweaty (it was 90 degrees), but ok.
    I don't know if the kitty's parents are any smarter now (honestly, I doubt it), but the cat was sent home in a carrier, and I told them to not ever bring him back without it.
    We'll see...

Good grief, what a nightmare! I hope the lesson has sunk in.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Oh gosh, that was indeed a nightmare, but I'm glad you got him back. Some people are too stupid to have cats!

My vet's clinic is in a densely populated area and when I took Fister there, I noticed he had bars up in from of the window.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

That kitty's dad came back today to buy food, and he told the receptionist that "these girls went above and beyond to get his cat back". Yes, we did, but he didn't thank us personally, and the least I expected was a box of chocolates. But...nothing.
    Apparently, they also took the cat's e-collar off he was wearing to protect the surgery site.
    Lately, the phrase "you can't fix stupid" has come up a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by cats4ever View Post
    That kitty's dad came back today to buy food, and he told the receptionist that "these girls went above and beyond to get his cat back". Yes, we did, but he didn't thank us personally, and the least I expected was a box of chocolates. But...nothing.
    Apparently, they also took the cat's e-collar off he was wearing to protect the surgery site.
    Lately, the phrase "you can't fix stupid" has come up a lot.
    For the kitty's sake I hope they don't bring him back to have the surgery site repaired.

For sure you can't fix stupid.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Blog Entries
    So glad you were so helpful and I am sure all of your staff as well. As far as the saying that you can't fix stupid, I wish that was not true. We have recently been noticing a lot of deaths here due to people leaving their pets, dogs, cats in sweltering hot cars. SWELTERING HOT CARS!! ??? It is heartbreaking and so very stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    So glad you were so helpful and I am sure all of your staff as well. As far as the saying that you can't fix stupid, I wish that was not true. We have recently been noticing a lot of deaths here due to people leaving their pets, dogs, cats in sweltering hot cars. SWELTERING HOT CARS!! ??? It is heartbreaking and so very stupid.
    This is definitely one of the most horrible ways for a pet (and children, too) to perish. Several years ago, one of our clients left her dog in the car while she brought another one into the clinic. We didn't know that she did that. The air conditioning in the car quit working, and when she found her dog, he was still alive, but all of our efforts to save him failed.
    That was one of the days, when I really hated my job.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cats4ever View Post
    This is definitely one of the most horrible ways for a pet (and children, too) to perish. Several years ago, one of our clients left her dog in the car while she brought another one into the clinic. We didn't know that she did that. The air conditioning in the car quit working, and when she found her dog, he was still alive, but all of our efforts to save him failed.
    That was one of the days, when I really hated my job.
    I was thinking, if we are lucky enough to get older... just no end to the gruesome stuff we get to see. I am just gonna be kind as I can and do my best. Cannot change others, that's for sure. Make no mistake, you have a very hard job, emotionally, physically. You deserve a lot of love and appreciation and hugs. You rock!

Blog Entries
    That was a horrible nightmare ! thank god that you helpful. Some people are too stupid to have cats! and that is really hated stupid !

Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    I was thinking, if we are lucky enough to get older... just no end to the gruesome stuff we get to see. I am just gonna be kind as I can and do my best. Cannot change others, that's for sure. Make no mistake, you have a very hard job, emotionally, physically. You deserve a lot of love and appreciation and hugs. You rock!
    Thank you, mon! Sorry that I saw your post just now.
    A lot of things that have happened at work are staying with me forever: the good, the funny, the sad and the horrible ones.
    That's why I decided 3 years ago that I would only be able to continue this work part-time. It has help tremendously with the stress, and I have more time for my kitties.