Thread: Eclipse!

Eclipse!

I just thought it would be nice for this to have its own thread!

Here's what I just said about it:

We had about 80% sun-covering here.

I didn't have the glasses, so I sat in front of my apartment (in shade) to see if it would get darker out or what might happen. Then one of my neighbors came out with a colander and a sheet of white paper. You know the pinhole effect? She put the paper on the front walk and held the colander up towards the sun. Well, all those little holes in the colander projected lots of little sun-crescents onto the paper! It was so neat to see them get smaller and smaller and then start expanding again.

So I saw the eclipse to that extent!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Thank you, Pat!

Here is my post as well:

Magically, our appointment book was empty at the time of the eclipse. We got 94% totality. I was hoping it would get darker than it did, but it was still amazing. Like mon said, it was eerie, sort of a twilight.
    I even got those co-workers excited who weren't excited at first. So we stood in the parking lot with cereal boxes, and I had the glasses that were passed around.
    When we went back inside, the rest of the day seemed kind of blah.

We had 63% coverage, and I was at the local hospital. Went out into the parking lot and they had several pairs of glasses they were passing around. Some folks from radiology just brought out an old piece of X-ray film, which was kinda neat!

The most coverage we got, the sun, through the glasses looked like a slice of cantaloupe above a black circle, the corona was very faint, but definitely there!
    I've Been Frosted

In Portland we had 99.2% obscuration (official term) at 10:19am PDT. Blue sky. It was recommended to NOT wear the eclipse glasses with your regular glasses so I chose the indirect method. Worked fine. Held a 8 1/8 x ll cardboard with small hole in center by right shoulder (back to the sun). Then another cardboard in left hand, focusing it back and forth. Focusing on the sidewalk was fun, too.
    There was no one around, but it got very quiet, and cool. How quickly it got darker, but reversed and got lighter. Then back to normal.
    Unusually dry here. Recently ended a 57 day dry spell.

Blog Entries
    I turned my back to it and looked at it with the I pad and recorded it. It was way too bright even that way as there was nary a cloud so I quit. I must confess I saw green splotches for a few minutes afterwards so it was probably a bad idea. It reminded me of a book called Delores Claiborne, there was a movie too with Kathy Bates and Jennifer Jason Leigh. The plot revolved around a murder and a solar eclipse, think Steven King wrote it. A very good book I thought. My cat just brought a bag of Temptations up the stairs and put them on the bed, I wonder if that's a hint

The sun wasn't as occluded in my town - as a matter of fact? I missed the whole thing!

I sat with the neighbor in the driveway and we chatted - the sun did dim - until she asked me, what time is it supposed to happen? I looked at my super-duper 24 hour time zone watch with the 5 alarms and stopwatch, timer and saw that I set the time, but not the alarm.......Living in California I have seen and been a part of some really nifty space/science stuff, but the absolute best has always been the bigger-than-life shows that mother nature has put on.
    The NEXT eclipse is in 2024 in april and that sucker is going to pass over the town I live in..........I can hardly wait.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    The NEXT eclipse is in 2024 in april and that sucker is going to pass over the town I live in..........I can hardly wait.
    The next eclipse will be on April 8th, one day BEFORE my 90th birthday. Hopefully, I'll see it, but it would be on TV because Oregon is not on its flight path.
    Last edited by Freckles; 08-24-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Today, panicked people have been calling eye doctors because they stared at the sun yesterday without their eclipse glasses.
    I guess that Donald wasn't one of them...

Quote Originally Posted by cats4ever View Post
    Today, panicked people have been calling eye doctors because they stared at the sun yesterday without their eclipse glasses.
    I guess that Donald wasn't one of them...

Donald who?

----------------

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/photo-woma...opstories.html

As the days go by, I wasn't worried that I missed the eclipse itself.

It was the stories of the people who got to see it that made me smile.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-08-...-solar-eclipse

-----

Useless science facts?

The surface of the sun is something like 10,000 degrees, but as the plasma moves away from the sun, It accelerates and the temp goes up to 1,000,000 degrees. Scientist don't know how this happens.....but if we know that, then it's not a mystery anymore?

The sun is 93 million miles away, the moon? About 240,000 (don't quote me on that)....

--------------

Bad pun time....

How does the sun get a haircut?

He 'e - clips' it.

------------

The next full moon is September 6 at 00:04 hours (12:04 a.m.)

One fun thing to do is - if you never have seen one - is a moon rise.

Go online and see what time it rises in your area and take a few minutes to watch it......no special glasses required....

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    ZERO % sun coverage in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. Guess I'll have to plan a road trip for 2024 to experience an eclipse.
    Viewing a shooting star is also on my bucket list.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98 View Post
    ZERO % sun coverage in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. Guess I'll have to plan a road trip for 2024 to experience an eclipse.
    Viewing a shooting star is also on my bucket list.
    Why just settle for one?

https://www.almanac.com/content/meteor-shower-calendar

Let us know!!!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Why just settle for one?

https://www.almanac.com/content/meteor-shower-calendar

Let us know!!!
    Great info. Where would you recommend the best viewing?
    We (in Alaska) have almost total sunlight in the summer, so it's never dark enough to see shooting stars.
    Don't know anyone that has seem them in the winter up here. I'm guessing we're "facing" the wrong way in the winter. Or it is just too blasted cold to sit outside and watch and wait.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.