Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gardening 2017

Gardening 2017

I have this plant on my deck, it is a variety of Rex begonia, called "Escargot", because the leaves are shaped in a spiral, like the shell of a snail. It's not that special of a plant, but I'm always in awe when I see it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rex2.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	59575 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rex1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	59574

Cool-looking plant!
    I've Been Frosted

How pretty, and how unusual! I'm in awe, too!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Blog Entries
    It is exquisite! Ain't nature wonderful.

It's unusual and wonderful!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Sigh.

A dear dear friend has let me use space in her garden - she's a property owner, and this is not at a house she lives in, but one she rents out. She definitely wants things to look pretty, so we have not put up any of the previous owner's fencing to keep the wild bunnies to. I very carefully started parsley, basil, sage and purple bail from seeds, nurturing the wee sprouts along until they were big enough to survive planting. Did so, they were in the ground and doing well - then the wild bunnies or someone came and ate all but the parsley that was set back. The purple basil in particular is hard to sprout, so I was disappointed it got eaten. But she is completely fine with that, and said, "Well, I'll just go but some plants somewhere." Not the point, really - if I knew there was not gonna be any fencing even after we put the seedlings in, I wouldn;t have gone to the effort. They also ate all the bean and pea plants people had given her.

I still have a few purple bail seedlings, gonna find somewhere safe to plant them!
    I've Been Frosted

That "Escargot" is beautiful! I've not seen them here, but some similar that doesn't curl.

What a bummer, Karen! Hope you find a place to plant them.

Wish I had a little garden myself. However, I can plant a few things in the backyard, but haven't yet this year. I used to plant Parsley, Dill and Chives - and Tagetes. I collected the seeds every year from the darker ones that I like best. Also brought some to John's sister in England. One year, I didn't have any seeds, so the next I visited she gave me some.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Karen, I'm sorry that all your hard work was for the bunnies.
    Over the years, my vegetable bed has become too shady because of the surrounding trees. So I started growing herbs and vegetables in containers on the deck. It is working pretty well, also the bunnies can't get to them.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for reminding me to start growing herbs again! Well we aren't growing a vegetable garden this year either, for SO many reasons ( a lot of work!) Think we will just enjoy the flowers and the hummingbirds this summer. We have a lot of flowers and hummingbirds

Blog Entries
    P.s. We have a lot of wild rabbits around here too!

Blog Entries
    Help! Okay, this is out of the blue but... the glass man is coming this afternoon, I am alone. I am scared to let a strange man in the house to replace my bedroom window. I didn't think about it until just ..now. I don't like it one bit. Am I overreacting.?

Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    Help! Okay, this is out of the blue but... the glass man is coming this afternoon, I am alone. I am scared to let a strange man in the house to replace my bedroom window. I didn't think about it until just ..now. I don't like it one bit. Am I overreacting.?
    Do you have a friend you can have come over, or who can call while he is there to check in?
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    There's a great idea. I can ask my husband or my neibor to at least phone. That's a good idea, thank you. I just think it is unsafe to let a stranger in, could be anyone. Can't be too careful nowadays eh. I don't believe the cats will protect me from rape or robbery but ya never know

Glad to help!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    Checking in - how did it go?
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678