Thread: Mindy's short fuse

Mindy's short fuse

Mindy has never been really fond of the other cats. She has always been on the bottom of the pecking order, but there have never been any serious incidents, just some hissing back and forth, and occasional chases through the house.
    Lately though, she has become more intolerant of the other cats, mostly being the aggressor. She especially targets Olive and Clover. She will corner them and then attack. So far, only fur has been flying, luckily no injuries. To be fair, this doesn't happen all day long, but at least 3 or 4 times throughout the day.
    Mindy just turned 9 and her recent bloodwork was perfect. She is one of my bottle-raised kitties (which might play into her behavior), very affectionate towards her humans and a true lap cat.
    I have Feliway, but it never did much for my kitties. So I will try Composure next.
    Wish me luck that this will do the trick. I really would hate to put Mindy on meds. Two of the cats are already on Prozac: Monroe, for his pica, and Miss Kitty, for Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease.
    I welcome any suggestions to restore the peace in the House of Cats.

Blog Entries
    Well, well. We,have two cats that scrap. The best we have come up with so far is 3 feeding stations, 3 cat trees, 2 litter boxes that are cleaned always, lotsa toys (?) well divided attention (lots of it) the occasional brushing, temptations, well chaperoned visits to the balcony.... etc. They scrap like mad when they feel like and don't when they are not in the mood. I thought we would have to put one up for the longest time but they have learned to tolerate one another. Don't expect too much is my only advice really. Make it as easy as possible for them to coexist but they may not fall in love or be BFFs anytime soon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    Well, well. We,have two cats that scrap. The best we have come up with so far is 3 feeding stations, 3 cat trees, 2 litter boxes that are cleaned always, lotsa toys (?) well divided attention (lots of it) the occasional brushing, temptations, well chaperoned visits to the balcony.... etc. They scrap like mad when they feel like and don't when they are not in the mood. I thought we would have to put one up for the longest time but they have learned to tolerate one another. Don't expect too much is my only advice really. Make it as easy as possible for them to coexist but they may not fall in love or be BFFs anytime soon
    P.s. I meant put one of mine up for adoption. I realize you have had Mindy a while but cats can change behaviour and as you know, just like people become irritable and bitchy. I am not sure meds are the solution, I mean really? Maybe as a last resort. Peace be with your wicked felines.

I'm happy to report that Composure is working it's magic. Mindy is much calmer, and doesn't to pick as many fights.
    Just a few hisses, but nothing serious. I'm encouraged.

Great news! Keep on keeping on, Mindy!!!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I'm glad Mindy is behaving better!
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Thank you for your responses. As I'm typing, Mindy is in my lap, purring her little head off.

"Moom, what awful things did you tell everybody about me?"
    Name:  minyawn.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  348.0 KB

AWWWWWwwwwww!!!!! You're gorgeous, sweet Mindy!!!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery