Thread: Chi Ate Oinion

Chi Ate Oinion

My chihuahua found a piece of onion on the floor and ate it. I know onions are toxic to dogs, should I be concerned?

Hi!

Onions are definitely a no no for dogs (causing severe anemia), but he/she would have to consumme a really large amount, or eat them regularly over a period of time, to have a toxic effect. How is your baby feeling? Is she/he vomiting, any diarrhea, letheargy/lack of energy? Usually, any untoward effects are not noticed until a few days after the onion is eaten. Way back in the day, before I knew better, I would regularly share my salad with my vegetable loving Lab, my first dog. Little did I know, until a year or two after adopting her, that they were not good for dogs. Well, thankfully she wasn't affected. Jingles lived to 15. But if you have any concerns at all, call your vet tomorrow morning, or this evening if the office is open, just to ease your mind. But I think she/he will be OK! And in case you're really worried and can't contact your vet this evening, here's the ASPCA poison hotline number: 888-426-4435

Don't want you going to bed worried!
    Check back to let us know how things are going, OK?

Hugs to your pup!
    Sandra

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

If it is just one piece, juts keep an eye on him, as Sandra noted. (She's a nurse - she knows her stuff!)
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks for the replies. She only ate a small thin slice and she's fine. I figured it would take a whole bunch to have an effect but ya just can't help but worry, especially when she's a wee little thing.

Thanks again.

You're welcome! Glad she is okay!
    I've Been Frosted

So happy to hear all is well! Yay! Love to you and your baby! Have a good night!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~