Thread: Gardening Folks - Butterfly Shrubs

Gardening Folks - Butterfly Shrubs

I keep getting spam for "butterfly vines, butterfly shrubs, butterfly bushes ..." I just makes me think of the time we bought my Dad one for Father's Day one year - something different for the gardens was always a good bet - and then Paul and I vacationed in England, and I realized they were growing on every abandoned bit of railway, empty lot ...

I called my Dad when we got home, and said, "Sorry Dad, we didn't know we were gifting you with weeds!"

Now spammers think i wanna buy them?

Does anyone have one in their yard? Do you notice increased butterfly traffic?
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    Ha-ha, SPAM eh? Ignore, delete, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    Ha-ha, SPAM eh? Ignore, delete, repeat.
    Oh, trust me, I do, every time, just thought the subject was interesting. I don't even open e'm, just mark 'em as junk and away they go!
    I've Been Frosted

We have several butterfly bushes. They DO grow very well and are very easy to root. The butterflies love them. One bit of advise; cut them way back every year or they'll get as big as your house.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinot's Mom View Post
    We have several butterfly bushes. They DO grow very well and are very easy to root. The butterflies love them. One bit of advise; cut them way back every year or they'll get as big as your house.
    What colors do you have? Do you notice more butterflies now?
    I've Been Frosted

I believe we have white and a pinkish purple. Yes, the butterflies are all over them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinot's Mom View Post
    I believe we have white and a pinkish purple. Yes, the butterflies are all over them.
    Oh, cool - if they are where Pinot can see them from a window, that must make for riveting kitty tv!
    I've Been Frosted

There is one at the Methuen house, and yep it always has butterflies all over it!

Buddleia? My mom and dad's neighbor in Berwyn had a couple of them and they grew like crazy, low and wide. She liked them because they added color to her garden. I'm not sure how many butterflies she attracted, though.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Now the spammers are calling them hummingbird vines - I am guessing it's the same thing, I have not bothered opening the emails to see. And it's funny, some have subject lines like, "grows well anywhere" to which I mentally respond, "Well, yeah - it's a weed!"
    I've Been Frosted