Thread: I keep getting un-logged-in

I keep getting un-logged-in

I tried to post birthday messages for Luna and Jax in Cat General. I would hit "Reply" and get a new screen saying I have to log in.

I would log in again, never having logged out, and put together my post. I went to my Albums to get my birthday pictures. It made me log in again before I could get a picture code.

I would put that code in, then hit send to post the message. Again it told me I had to log in AGAIN.

I did it again. And again. And again. And finally got my two birthday posts posted.

Then I came to Town Hall and Hit "Post New Thread" to bring this up as a problem.

AND.......

GUESSS WHAT.......

It gave me the new thread page along with the message ONCE AGAIN saying I had to log in.

WHAT THE &*%$&%$ IS GOING ON? THIS IS $%#$%#$ AGGRAVATING AS ALL GET-OUT, to say the least.

==============>

Okay, so I finished composing the above and hit "Submit New Thread."

AND..

NEED YOU EVEN WONDER, AT THIS POINT..

Yup, I had to log in AGAIN.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Definitely log out of everything and clear your cache. Run a virus check. Something is interfering with the "cookies" that let Pet Talk know you are you, and logged in!
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks, Karen. It hasn't been doing this this session!

Please refresh for me how to clear the cache. I use Chrome for my browser.

Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Thanks, Karen. It hasn't been doing this this session!

Please refresh for me how to clear the cache. I use Chrome for my browser.

Pat
    Under the Chrome menu itself is "Clear browsing data" - do that! When you are done this session, of course!
    I've Been Frosted

Found it. Thanks, Karen!

I always log out of the Pet Talk sessions when I finish, too.

Things seem to be working all right this time.

From time to time lately I've had that repeated-logging-in-demands problem, but usually not. Yesterday's was by far the worst.
    Death thought about it.

Along this line, sort of?...

This happens quite often: I start to compose a post, one that takes me a while to do, and then when I post it I find I have to log in again.

It just did that with my Cat of the Day post.

Is there a time limit to how long a user is apparently not actively participating, and if nothing shows up for a few minutes, you're automatically logged out?
    Death thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    Along this line, sort of?...

This happens quite often: I start to compose a post, one that takes me a while to do, and then when I post it I find I have to log in again.

It just did that with my Cat of the Day post.

Is there a time limit to how long a user is apparently not actively participating, and if nothing shows up for a few minutes, you're automatically logged out?
    No, there's no time limit for that, but your browser may be set to "go to sleep" ....
    I've Been Frosted

Where or how do I set it not to go to sleep?

It's making me log in again and again this time (not quite as often as last night, though).
    Death thought about it.

Under the Chrome menu there is a Preferences choice - choose that, and then at the bottom, show advanced preferences - I am sure there are several things in there that might be affecting this! In fact, if you have already emptied your cache, etc., you might want to download and install a new copy of Chrome just in case!
    I've Been Frosted

I've had this issue at this site, too. Basically it's not recognizing the Stay logged in feature.

Check your antivirus settings. Sometimes those will require constant logins.

Also if you allow your anti-virus to expire, some are programmed to be troublesome until you renew. Nothing I can prove, just observations.

Also antivirus software loves to control your computer. Mine wouldn't let me go online because it is not safe. Please, check you settings.

For Google Chrome

Go to Settings chrome://settings/

Scroll to bottom and click Show Advanced Settings.

SCroll a little bit and find PRIVACY

Click the Content settings button - A popup window will appear.

under Cookies - Allow Local Data to be set should be checked

Click on Manage Exceptions.

See if Pettalk is listed. If not, you will want to add. I think the base URL is petoftheday.com

If it is listed, make sure it says ALLOW.

And there may be a virus. I have had sites load a virus when I didn't stay and look around. I wish I could tell you what to look for.

Good luck
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Under the Chrome menu there is a Preferences choice - choose that, and then at the bottom, show advanced preferences - I am sure there are several things in there that might be affecting this! In fact, if you have already emptied your cache, etc., you might want to download and install a new copy of Chrome just in case!

My Chrome doesn't have that. Hmmmm. I go to Settings.
    Anne

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Go to Control Panel and then Power.

Your computer may be set to go to sleep or hibernate after a certain point.

After you click on the Power icon, choose the power plan that has the little circle/radio button filled in. Double click and you will see all the settings for sleep etc.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

No, there's no time limit for that, but your browser may be set to "go to sleep" ....
    Browsers don't go to sleep, but some do have a session time out. Chrome doesn't do that and you should clear your cookies after every session. Most session cookies are controlled by the host site for security reasons.

I've had trouble here on occasion when logging in. Sometimes the remember me function doesn't. After several attempts it will. Sometimes it requires a system restart.

One suggestion while in Chrome Settings was to hit RESET. It's at the bottom of Advanced Settings.
    Last edited by mrspunkysmom; 04-24-2015 at 05:17 AM.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    Browsers don't go to sleep, but some do have a session time out. Chrome doesn't do that and you should clear your cookies after every session. Most session cookies are controlled by the host site for security reasons.

I've had trouble hear on occasion when logging in. Sometimes the remember me function doesn't. AFter several attempts it will. Sometimes it requires a system restart.

One suggestion while in Chrome Settings was to hit RESET. It's at the bottom of Advanced Settings.
    Yeah, that why I put "go to sleep" was I couldn't remember "session time out" when I was typing it! Thanks!
    I've Been Frosted

Yeah, that why I put "go to sleep" was I couldn't remember "session time out" when I was typing it! Thanks!

LOL. I know that feeling. I actually had to search my memory.
    Anne