Thread: Spring where you are~

Spring where you are~

How far along is spring where you are?

Yesterday was very warm, crocuses were out for the second day, which are usually our first flowers. I know other are already mowing lawns ... far south of here ...
    I've Been Frosted

LOL, how far along is spring?? Was it ever winter here? NOPE!

This weather is crazy! Such drastic differences between coasts. While the East Coast is being slammed with rain and snow, we are in a severe draught. Go figure.

So basically, it has been Spring here since Summer ended last year.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Spring has been here awhile in central NC. I've already mowed the yard twice (cut the grass as city folk might say . My daffodils bloomed awhile ago and now the blooms are brownish and look ugly; yellow bell bushes have already bloomed; crab apple peaked last week and blooms are mostly gone; dogwoods are blooming now. In the woods one can see dogwoods and redbud trees. I think all of the trees around here have tiny leaves coming out. We have four bee hives and the bees are out looking for more nectar; they were all over the crab apple. Guess that's about it for now.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    It's Spring for the most part here in central Delaware, but the mornings are still darn chilly and I still put on my winter jacket when I take Wolfy out for his first outing of the day. It's still sweatshirts as normal attire thru the day too. Had a few days with temps in the 70's, but it's been the low 60's at best. Forsythia, dogwood and cherry all in bloom, and my lilacs are budding. Bulb plants are blooming, and the back acre is turning purple with the wild violets taking over. Grass needs to be mowed but first we have to clean up the winter debris of downed tree branches and even larger limbs, and about a million pine cones all over. The wind this past winter was worse than normal, and created a bigger mess to clear.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Grass needs to be mowed but first we have to clean up the winter debris of downed tree branches and even larger limbs, and about a million pine cones all over. The wind this past winter was worse than normal, and created a bigger mess to clear.
    This is only our second early spring in this apartment, so I do not know if this is a biennial thing, but the trees that line the parking lots littered thousands of rather large seed pods all over the place, and the squirrels don't seem to be interested in carrying them off either! So I hope the landlord sends the landscaping crew before the grass starting growing in earnest, or they are gonna have lots of spots where grass won't grow underneath all those seed pods!
    I've Been Frosted

What are the shapes of the pods? Are they long and narrow? If so they're catalpas. My grandmother had some of those in her yard. Maples shed millions of these little "keys" both in the fall and spring.
    I finally have crocuses over the last 10 days or so; forsythia is VERY late this year; just starting to bloom. Can just start seeing red tree buds.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    What are the shapes of the pods? Are they long and narrow? If so they're catalpas. My grandmother had some of those in her yard. Maples shed millions of these little "keys" both in the fall and spring.
    I finally have crocuses over the last 10 days or so; forsythia is VERY late this year; just starting to bloom. Can just start seeing red tree buds.
    They are, and my sister immediately identified them as such the first time she was here! I will have to watch them this spring, they bear no resemblance to the 3+ foot thick trunked catalpa we had across the street from us when we were kids. I always loved their blossom, thought if the coloring was on the outside is would make a perfect elegant ball gown with massively ruffled hem!
    I've Been Frosted