Thread: Think my Malshi is suffering from ptsd

Think my Malshi is suffering from ptsd

My sweet dog girl is 4 years old. When she was just about 9 months old the big lab/doberman next door broke his chain and came after her. She was squealing like a dying animal but as I went to him, he let her go. Neighbors have been very careful about his chain and told me Dobermans sometimes see small dogs as prey. I wanted at that time to introduce the two dogs in a positive way but they were very afraid more harm would come to my Chica.

Since then she has exhibited fear of all big dogs and many smaller dogs whom she hasn't gotten to know well. She keeps looking over her shoulder when we walk as if she fears a threat from behind. She won't go beyond the spot on our yard where the other dog can see her. Other dogs in the neighborhood, including 2 great danes, she barks at like she wants to attack but I know it is fear.

I would love to be able to simply manage the indoor barking response for now, as she really gets riled at those dogs she can hear but not see. And of course I'd love to teach her to not fear other dogs.

My diva doesn't care much about treats. She loves praise but first we have to get her attention so that we can praise.

Any recommendations would be appreciated

Lenore

Quote Originally Posted by Lenore View Post
    My sweet dog girl is 4 years old. When she was just about 9 months old the big lab/doberman next door broke his chain and came after her. She was squealing like a dying animal but as I went to him, he let her go. Neighbors have been very careful about his chain and told me Dobermans sometimes see small dogs as prey. I wanted at that time to introduce the two dogs in a positive way but they were very afraid more harm would come to my Chica.

Since then she has exhibited fear of all big dogs and many smaller dogs whom she hasn't gotten to know well. She keeps looking over her shoulder when we walk as if she fears a threat from behind. She won't go beyond the spot on our yard where the other dog can see her. Other dogs in the neighborhood, including 2 great danes, she barks at like she wants to attack but I know it is fear.

I would love to be able to simply manage the indoor barking response for now, as she really gets riled at those dogs she can hear but not see. And of course I'd love to teach her to not fear other dogs.

My diva doesn't care much about treats. She loves praise but first we have to get her attention so that we can praise.

Any recommendations would be appreciated

Lenore

Aww, how sad! She does need to get reacclimatized to being comfortable around other dogs. Is there a dog park nearby, or another piece of neutral ground where you could take her for some careful introductions to nice other dogs? How do you react when she is fearful?
    I've Been Frosted