Thread: Backyard chickens?

Backyard chickens?

March 9 2015
    Do you have backyard chickens? What kind? Did you buy or build your chicken coop/house?

I'm thinking about getting a few chicks. I probably shouldn't with George cat around. I know I will have to put them in a fenced in area with a protective top (wire I guess) where George and/or hawks (and other varmits) can't get to the chicks. IF I get chicks, I will wait until it's warmer. Eventually I could put grown chickens in with goats. Just thinking about it... Kay in NC

I grew up out in the country. When we got chicks from the pet store (or hatched our own) they stayed in a small separate pen (an old rabbit hutch sometimes) with a heat lamp until they were big enough to go out in the chicken pen. We always had several chickens at a time. So we had a large coop with an open style pen connected so they would have shelter and a place to lay eggs, as well as a large area to roam around safely outside. Sometimes we'd even open the pen and let them just roam free. They always went back to the coop at night to roost, then we'd close the door until we wanted them out again.

I actually miss having chickens like that. Of course, I am the baby, so I never had the responsibility of taking care of them like my siblings did. I did go out and gather eggs though.
    And I'd help feed them too.

But yes, you'd need an enclosed structure with chicken wire to keep them safe from predators......and George. I'm sure you could buy a structure if necessary too.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Kay, for a while, I co-hosted a Chicken Show on the radio. I do not have chickens myself, but a really good book that covers all the what, where, how to you would need to know is How to Raise Chickens, by Christine Heinrichs. It covers everything from how much space and shelter you need to what kind to choose etc! And she's a very nice lady, too! http://www.amazon.com/How-Raise-Chic...5942235&sr=1-1
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I'm still thinking about it... Kay