Thread: Dog and long hour days?

Dog and long hour days?

Just curious what everyone here does with their dogs when they are at work for 8 hours. I might be moving soon, and when I go back to school it may be hard to get back to let them out. A place we are looking at is out of town and school/my boyfriends job is in town. Do you all get lunches to let them out or are there any solutions to those who can't make it home?

I've always had someone around who can let them out whenever they need so this will be a change.

Clover, Loki, Shadow, Pixel and Kyo

As they are all adults, they will likely adjust fine, you can try it a few times now, just to see.
    I've Been Frosted

Are they ok not going outside for 8 hours?

Yep! They can definitely hold it. But of course make sure to have them outside when you are getting ready for work etc so they can do their business And back outside first thing when you come home.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

It all depends on the pup whether or not the can "hold it" for an extended period of time. Lady could easily go 8-10 hours without any issues. Angel, however, has issues with not being able to go out. It's in part due to her personality (she absolutely PANICS in the first few minutes when she's left alone), but it also has to do with the simple fact that she has a small tank.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Zeke is an old man, he can't hold it even now being let out. But he has a section of papers to pee on when he can't hold it. I'll have to set him up with an area I guess. I'm pretty sure Clover would be fine.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I guess I've lucked out with my little 12 pound Wolfy - and I think he must be hollow inside or have a super-sized holding tank. He goes pee-free at least 12 hours every night. Yes - EVERY NIGHT he holds it this long. There have also been a few instances of 14 or 15 hours - and not so much as a dribble. We go out between 6 and 7 every night, and don't go out again till about 7 the next morning. And there's no sense of urgency to it - he waits patiently till I get my jacket and shoes/boots on, put his harness on him and leash him up, open the door, and out we go. He doesn't go flying off the porch and let loose wherever his feet hit the ground either. Nope - he leisurely walks down the steps and then noses around for a minute to find just the perfect spot. Now that the time has changed and we have more daylight, we'll be able to go out later at night too. He doesn't like the dark much, and living in a rural area with no streetlights and only the floodlights on the corners of the house, I'm not real fond of being outside in the dark for long either.

Of course it's the same during the day if I need to be gone for any length of time. I can leave for a spine appointment in Baltimore first thing in the a.m., and not get back till late afternoon, and never an accident from the Wolfman. He's such a GOOD boy.
    Last edited by pomtzu; 03-10-2015 at 12:11 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

My dogs stay in the house without being let out for that long while I'm at work and they do fine. Yes I've had some messes but just if they are sick. Luckily I do have the option of taking them to work with me if I know they are sick. But I leave at about 7:45 am and I don't get home until 4-5 and they are fine. Sometimes Corby lets them out at lunch and they don't even get up to go outside.

I have pee pads in two different rooms which LilGirl & Sissy can use if necessary. They prefer to go outside though. At night we take them out around 7pm now that it is not dark & they go and usually don't have to go again until next morning when we take them.