Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gardening 2015

gardening 2015

Yeah, it's early.

However, it's bloody cold and I need happy thoughts, so here it is.

We ordered seed for this year's garden, and saw an oddball in the catalog. A giant squash that "they didn't know how to classify so we put it in with the hubbards". Anyone from down south ever have a "Georgia Candy roaster"?

We're going to try it, why not.

The Calendar is telling me it's time to go down and get the tiller's oil changed and get it ready to go, but with 2 feet plus of snow on the ground and nothing above 20 expected for at least another week, the weather is telling me otherwise.

We were talking about gardening at work last week, and one of the guys (who lives far north of me) was saying that St. Patrick's day is the right time to plant peas. I looked at him in puzzlement and asked "With what to till, a jackhammer?"
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Hmm, remember the pumpkin/butternut monster that grew at Bummy's one year? Wonder if it will be like that! For those who are curious, it was huge, orange as a pumpkin but without any ridges - smooth like a butternut squash, and solid like one, too - our grandfather had tossed some rotten squab of both sorts over by a stone wall, and we discovered this late that summer, growing without any human help - it was so heavy it had to be moved with the tractor!
    I've Been Frosted

Also, a haiku set I sent to my gardening buddy at church the other day ...

A few degrees rise
    Makes all the difference in mood
    Spring seems possible

Snowbanks sigh, weeping
    Puddles of despair at their
    Diminishing bulk

A sure sign of Spring
    Seed orders have been placed and
    Hopes of planting grow

Gardens lie sleeping
    Beneath thick blankets of snow
    Stone and soil as one

But in the mind’s eye
    Growing things sprout, flower
    Vivid, verdant green
    I've Been Frosted

Sigh...

Got an ad for Hostas in my email the other day, which included instructions on making sure your Hostas thrive.

I've never liked hostas, and frankly, every time I've had to remove them it's been a multi- season effort to make sure the suckers were completely removed. Care instructions for hostas? Should be wave roots near occasionally moistened soil and prepare charges of C-4 to remove them once they start to take over.

We also are going to try a new squash from Burpee this year, it's supposed to be basically an acorn-type squash with edible skin so you can roast and eat the whole squash. Should be interesting.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I can actually see a large enough patch of grass to sit in outside my sliding glass doors to the hard left .... that's progress, right?
    I've Been Frosted

So, we started our Okra and Bok Choi seeds in the mini-greenhouse in the living room three days ago.

We haven't seen any sprouts yet. Should I dig up the seeds and see what's wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    So, we started our Okra and Bok Choi seeds in the mini-greenhouse in the living room three days ago.

We haven't seen any sprouts yet. Should I dig up the seeds and see what's wrong?
    Um, now, now - no pulling 'em up to check the roots when they sprout, either!
    I've Been Frosted

Not MY fault the Zinnias were slow!!!

It fakes about a week for Okra seeds to sprout. Patience please, mine have sprouted but are at 2 leaves stage since 10 days.

I know, MBsmum, it's an old, old joke between my sister and I.

I apologise, I did not know that Karen was your sister.

That's okay! He currently has some seeds for me - he places a big seed order, but I am in the city, so can only plant a pot and hope .... I live in a shady spot in a shady apartment, but managed to move my one pot of basil around enough last year to grow some!
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    family so beautiful
    love so very
    very old deep

death so real
    like fresh soil
    like death real

beauty and graveyards
    intimate my own
    cold lovely forever

Lady's Human, Where are you located? just curious ...

I'm in central North Carolina and have already mowed the grass and need to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by kaycountrygal View Post
    Lady's Human, Where are you located? just curious ...

I'm in central North Carolina and have already mowed the grass and need to do it again.
    He is just about as far North as me, just further west. He's in upstate New York, if you look at a map and can find Binghamton, he is North of that!
    I've Been Frosted