Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Storm Hype and Updates!

Storm Hype and Updates!

It has certainly been amusing the amount of hype for this storm. Two days ago, before if even started, there were headlines calling it a "Historical Storm" - um, doe snot something have to take place before it becomes history?

Now there is talk of "Top 5 storms" and some folks are actually saying that is is the year's first big storm, backing down from the hype a tad. The snow started lightly about an hour ago, bit the states are already instituting travel bans - no one is allowed on the roads starting at midnight tonight except for essential personnel. And it is 9 p.m. for Connecticut. The Market Basket near us, at least, was prepared - every register was open, baggers at every one, people were restocking shelves, and I didn't even have to go down the bread aisle - I have some already, there was plenty of milk, water, eggs, etc. I already had milk, too, so my cart was not nearly the "French Toast emergency" typical cart!

The wild birds are busily eating up, and I did buy extra bird seed, and was happy that that was a shelf that was looking more empty than usual!

It is currently snowing lightly, with tiny flakes!
    I've Been Frosted

Sending along our prayers and good wishes that this isn't the big disaster that is all over the media, and however bad it is, all the people and other animals come through it all right.

Stay safe and warm and dry, everyone!

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Be safe, everyone. The newscast is showing photos and it looks like a nasty one is starting.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

So far my bank emailed me to say they will be closed tomorrow, my electric company called to say they are prepared for the storm, and with suggestions for people, my city called to say there is now a parking ban, no on-street parking, which is not a surprise, and overnight parking on the street is banned in winter months anyway, Logan Airport is shutting down and will be closed tomorrow, the governor has declared there is a travel ban in effect starting at midnight state-wide, and we are snug and warm and safe. Only an inch or so so far, but the heaviest snow will come later.

One of the reason the Blizzard of '78 was deadly is people were not prepared, and it had just been predicted as flurries, I remember that quite well.
    I've Been Frosted

Prayers on the way for all in the path of this storm! We have at least one Pet Talker on Cape Cod which seems to be ground zero
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Keeping all of you in my prayers! Keep safe everyone.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    Prayers on the way for all in the path of this storm! We have at least one Pet Talker on Cape Cod which seems to be ground zero
    Most of the New England coast is under flood watch, that is probably the bigger danger of this storm and of course places like Cape Cod, Cape Ann, and Hull jut out into the ocean, they have already closed several of the roads in coastal communities that always end up with water coming over the sea walls in Nor'Easters.

Sandra is not directly on the water, so should be relatively safe from the storm surge.
    I've Been Frosted

I am curious about the amount of snow the Northeast receives each year. It seems every year there is a storm of the year or the decade or what. I believe a nasty snowstorm is as bad as a hurricane or mid-west/southern storm system.

Does this happen every year?

Take care and be safe.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    I am curious about the amount of snow the Northeast receives each year. It seems every year there is a storm of the year or the decade or what. I believe a nasty snowstorm is as bad as a hurricane or mid-west/southern storm system.

Does this happen every year?

Take care and be safe.
    There are some years we get a lot of small storms, some years we get several big storms, and a blizzard is not a rare thing here in Massachusetts, at least! It is bitterly cold outside right now, even with gloves on, it took several minutes for my fingers to start throbbing and regain feeling, now they are still red, but almost feel normal after ten minutes. I went out to shovel what we had so far, and because of the wind, which is part of what makes a storm a blizzard, it is impossible to tell how much snow we have gotten so far, as in some spots it looked like a couple inches, in some 9, and one had to time each shovel of snow between gusts to ensure most of it went onto the snow pile, not back blown onto you!

I just check, it is currently 14°F (-10C) outside, with wind speed about 30 mph, and gusts twice that high. The wind chill drops the temperature to -4°F.

Some years we do not get a lot of snow, it really, quite honestly, varies a lot. Last winter was very snowy, and I loved it. Lots o other people did not!
    I've Been Frosted

And the funny thing is (peculiar anyway), Facebook is apparently down, as is Tinder and Instagram. But we are still here!
    I've Been Frosted

Facebook is back up. The snow is now coming down i earnest - you cannot even tell I shoveled earlier, but I am glad I did, anyway! Still impossible to gauge how much we have gotten, because of the wind and drifting!
    I've Been Frosted

Lots of wind and so the drifts are amazing -- I can see my grass in my front yard, in the back yard I have a 5 foot drift!

It is COLD and the wind chill is currently -8F here in East Prov, RI. I haven't been out to clear the driveway yet. There is a big drift up against the door, about 4 foot high. Beyond that I can see the bare driveway.

Nantucket is hard hit, total power outage on the island, they had a 3 foot storm surge, many areas were evacuated and the high school is their shelter.

Still snowing lightly, we got over a foot at least, but as Sandie mentioned, drifting makes it hard to figure out how much has fallen in total!
    I've Been Frosted

Jan 27 2015
    I've read your posts and also I've been watching news regarding the snow snow/blizzard. I'm hoping all of you are and will be safe and not have any difficulties re this storm/snow. Here in central NC it's to be 43 (38 right now) and is sunny and a bit breezy. You all take care... Kay

Send some of that snow here...we need a lot more snow in the Sierra mountains. We had a lot in December, but with the abnormally warm and dry January, the snow pack has reduced, and I want it to last long enough to enjoy a few more snow tubing trips! Lol! Plus we need a lot more to fix the drought.